Will we see foreigner restrictions in the Premier League?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Now that the United Kingdom is not going to be bound by EU-law any longer, will we see fewer foreign players in the Premier League soon? Maybe even restrictions on how many non-UK players a team can field?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

I guess we'll see.

The Independent:

Karren Brady, West Ham United’s influential vice-chairman, (...) highlighted the potential impact of restrictions on the free movement of workers – a fundamental plank of EU policy and a core complaint of the Out campaign. She suggested “two-thirds of European stars in England would not meet automatic non-EU visa criteria and therefore might be forced to leaveâ€. (...)

Work-permit rules have been tightened at the behest of Greg Dyke, the FA chairman, in an attempt to reduce the number of cheap foreign players of middling ability denying native ones first-team action. (...) The FA estimated this would cut by a third the number of non-EU players but the effect on EU players would be greater as clubs sign more of them. (...)

However, Daniel Geey, a partner at sports and media law firm Sheridans, suggested a new policy would be developed. “I don’t think the same standards would be applied to players from the EU as they currently are to non-EU players,†said Geey. “Arranging bilateral regulations for footballers won’t be the first thing on governments’ minds so the FA and Home Office will need to have new work-permit rules.†As this is the FA’s remit, it could give the governing body welcome leverage over the Premier League.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
The FA will need change a lot of policies to avoid hindering their own clubs and leagues:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Queen will knight him and declare him a UK citizen before that happens :rant:

You know you guys would rather spend that money on some old player with a big name. AKA I'm sure you could convince Pep to sell you Kompany's corpse instead! It'll be just like dumping that de Bruyne bum all over again!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Here we go. From The Times:

"Premier League clubs will be obliged to ensure that at least half of their first-team squads are made up of “homegrown” players under drastic plans put forward by the FA to deal with Brexit. The proposal, which would reduce the number of overseas players in each 25-man squad to 12, will be put to the 20 clubs this week.
England’s top tier is under pressure to agree a deal with the FA for Brexit. If the clubs do not do so, they could face a nightmare “no-deal” scenario in which all EU players would have to fulfil the same criteria that non-EU players do now in order to get a work permit."

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

"Premier League clubs will be obliged to ensure that at least half of their first-team squads are made up of “homegrown” players under drastic plans put forward by the FA to deal with Brexit. The proposal, which would reduce the number of overseas players in each 25-man squad to 12, will be put to the 20 clubs this week.
England’s top tier is under pressure to agree a deal with the FA for Brexit. If the clubs do not do so, they could face a nightmare “no-deal” scenario in which all EU players would have to fulfil the same criteria that non-EU players do now in order to get a work permit."

So right now it's max of 17 non homegrown players in the 25 man PL squad, this would reduce it by 5.

In the past Greg Dyke (FA chairman) has also wanted to tighten what qualifies as homegrown. Right now it's >=3 years on an English team before age 21 (not sure if it's calendar year or league year for how 21 is counted), he's wanted to drop that to 18. That would eliminate guys like Pogba, Lukaku, Fabregas, Moses, etc. from being counted as home grown. Not sure if that's included in this proposal or not since the bulk of the article is behind a paywall

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So right now it's max of 17 non homegrown players in the 25 man PL squad, this would reduce it by 5.

In the past Greg Dyke (FA chairman) has also wanted to tighten what qualifies as homegrown. Right now it's >=3 years on an English team before age 21 (not sure if it's calendar year or league year for how 21 is counted), he's wanted to drop that to 18. That would eliminate guys like Pogba, Lukaku, Fabregas, Moses, etc. from being counted as home grown. Not sure if that's included in this proposal or not since the bulk of the article is behind a paywall
Victor Moses joined Crystal Palace at 11 and came through their youth system.

Reactions: All Might

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, the only thing that this would do is put homegrown talent on the bench at big teams; i.e. James Maddison would be getting no minutes on a top 6 team, but they are using him to hit whatever quota is implemented. This doesnt work and the benefits are minimal

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Since that is behind a paywall, here's the Daily Fail version: Brexit rules will mean HALF of Premier League squads must be homegrown | Daily Mail Online

HOW MANY FOREIGN PLAYERS DO CLUBS CURRENTLY HAVE?

17 - Manchester City, Tottenham, Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford
16 - Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham, West Ham
15 - Arsenal
14 - Manchester United, Newcastle
13 - Leicester
12 - Crystal Palace, Wolves
11 - Southampton
10 - Everton
7 - Cardiff
6 - Burnley
5 - Bournemouth

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean, the only thing that this would do is put homegrown talent on the bench at big teams; i.e. James Maddison would be getting no minutes on a top 6 team, but they are using him to hit whatever quota is implemented. This doesnt work and the benefits are minimal
I think Maddison would get starts in the top 6. He's very good, but he's also the exception.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Will be interesting to see what the FA are planning to do with the lower leagues.

They have much more freedom to enforce rules at lower levels, (no PL to fight them) we could see Championship teams and below severely limited in the number of foreign players they can import.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
The proposal, which would reduce the number of overseas players in each 25-man squad to 12, will be put to the 20 clubs this week.

Any word on when it'd be enforced (if accepted) ? Could be a little exodus of foreign talent from the Prem in the not-too-distant future.

I mean, the only thing that this would do is put homegrown talent on the bench at big teams

Or it might force big teams to not only develop British talent better in their academies , but to have them in their squads. The Mason Mounts and Jaden Sancho's of the world should be getting minutes in the Prem.

This new fad of English youth going to the Bundesliga might stop.

I dunno , just spit ballin'. Might be a combo of both.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Any word on when it'd be enforced (if accepted) ? Could be a little exodus of foreign talent from the Prem in the not-too-distant future.

Or it might force big teams to not only develop British talent better in their academies , but to have them in their squads. The Mason Mounts and Jaden Sancho's of the world should be getting minutes in the Prem.

This new fad of English youth going to the Bundesliga might stop.

I dunno , just spit ballin'. Might be a combo of both.
I think Mount and Sancho is what they want to happen, but that is going to be such a minority.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, we'll see.

I think England is doing a better job producing young talent , how much of that is by design and how much of it is just cyclical , I have no idea.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I actually think all domestic leagues should have a large limit on foreign talents. It would make national teams better in the long run and I think with today's training, coaching and nutrition you'd still end up with plenty of top end product.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Would lower the quality of football and hopefully of TV rights, leveling the field in European competitions and for the f***inf FFP.

Love it.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Would lower the quality of football and hopefully of TV rights, leveling the field in European competitions and for the ****inf FFP.

Love it.

Which is why I'd be surprised if the clubs accept it.

I find it hard to believe that one way or another the clubs won't hammer out some system that lowers the approval bar for work permit applications to a level that suits their desires. If obscenely rich people can't buck the system for their own gain then capitalism really is in its death throes.

Reactions: maclean

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I actually think all domestic leagues should have a large limit on foreign talents. It would make national teams better in the long run and I think with today's training, coaching and nutrition you'd still end up with plenty of top end product.

In countries where intelligent people hold the reins I reckon this would be true. But we're talking about England.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Which is why I'd be surprised if the clubs accept it.

I find it hard to believe that one way or another the clubs won't hammer out some system that lowers the approval bar for work permit applications to a level that suits their desires. If obscenely rich people can't buck the system for their own gain then capitalism really is in its death throes.
Yeah you're right. I got carried away by insane optimism...

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad