Will we see a Russian go #1 in the next 5 years?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
After making my Galchenyuk thread and talking about Yakupov and Grigorenko, I truly do wonder if we will see a Russian going first overall in the NHL draft in the next 5 years.

Now we all know how talented Yakupov is. He looks to be the best Russian prospect to come along in maybe 5 years, but does a team still take a risk and draft this kid #1 overall if he stays the best by next June?

Yakupov has come to North America to play in the CHL as a 16 year old, so that will help. But, he still has the Russian factor going against him, and I am simply not convinced that any team out there would take a risk on a Russian with that #1 overall spot IF there are other players that are close talent wise to Yakupov.

Other Russians have jumped to the CHL during or before their draft years, and some have gone back to the KHL after the draft for whatever the reason, so playing in the CHL is not a lock to stick here in the NHL.

Galchenyuk wont count as a Russian, as he played in the US, is born in the US, and came from a Belarus father and mother. If Galchenyuk went #1 overall, he would count for the US.

The same question applys with Grigorenko who is simply a stud as well. He and Yakupov have the talent to go #1 overall, but both might not go in the top 3 if teams still feel a bit leary of drafting a Russian that high.

The 2012 draft will also be a monster year for defensemen as Ebert, Murray, Reinhart, and Blujus are just some of the top kids for that draft that could go very high.

If we think about 2013 and beyond, does anyone see a Russian going #1 overall? Is there a kid out there that will just make a team have to take him no matter his nationality? Maybe Yakupov is that kid, but I just dont know at this point if a team will make that jump and pick a Russian #1 yet.

Thoughts?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Nail Yakupov I think. Granted what you said, but he's got too much talent and too much inertia going with him up to draft day that he'll go #1.

He's always said his dream was playing in the NHL... He's got that Filatov mentality where he wants to be in the NHL.

I don't see a Russian factor at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, Yakupov will go first next year assuming nothing catastrophic happens to him, or some crazy good player doesn't come out of nowhere.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

And Galchenyuk doesn't have any Russian factor going with him at all. None at all.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Who would you guys say is an NHL comparable to Nail Yakupov?

He's got great hands, quick foot speed, and very agile... The puck sticks to his stick.

It's pretty typical for a Russian but yes, he's got the Ovechkin style.

Google him and you can read some scouting reports, etc, see clips of him.

it's fun to see.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I don't see why any team would have an issue with a drafting a Russian 1st or second overall. Past players taken in those spots have always come to North America and stayed for a long, long time.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
... He's got that Filatov mentality where he wants to be in the NHL.

I don't see a Russian factor at all.

I'm not sure how to take that statement. Does Filatov really want to play in the NHL no matter what? I know he is here (in NA) now, but he left before and it wouldn't surprise me if he left again.

I don't know if Yakupov is a flight risk. It doesn't seem like he is, but I wouldn't think that comparing his mentality to Filatov is a good thing.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
But to answer the OP's question, I think many teams would take Yakupov first overall if he were available in the 2011 draft. He is that good, imo. One of the most exciting prospects from any country to come around in years. Teams do not pass on players like that, no matter the nationality.

I suppose if a North American player with the same skill as Yakupov was available in 2012, that player may go ahead of Yakupov due to the "Russian factor", but I don't see a player like that in 2012. No offense meant to Murray who might be Yakupov's toughest competition from NA, at least so far.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'm not sure how to take that statement. Does Filatov really want to play in the NHL no matter what? I know he is here (in NA) now, but he left before and it wouldn't surprise me if he left again.

I don't know if Yakupov is a flight risk. It doesn't seem like he is, but I wouldn't think that comparing his mentality to Filatov is a good thing.

Filatov had a predicament in CBJ though with the coaching and the system.

Leading up to draft day and even after draft day when he took initiative to come over and play in the NHL/AHL, he was always very vocal about not wanting to play in North America (it's a big big difference coming over here and playing in the AHL than staying home and playing for CSKA in the KHL; favor being to CSKA), and he was humble enough to continue playing in the AHL.

Any player in his postion would be frustrated. It's no doubt he was NHL-Calibre, but it was just a matter of being a part of the right system that would accentuate his talent; CBJ's defensive system wasn't. So he went back to Russia to play his game and I'm positive any player from Europe, not just a Russian, would have done what happened.

The thing being: Filatov was very vocal about his desire to play in NA, his actions reflected his words, but in the end it was just best to "loan" him back to CSKA for the rest of the season because obviously CBJ didn't put him on the NHL roster and he was wasting his time in the AHL.

And sure enough the next (this) season, he's back in the AHL/NHL.

I think what he did was very admirable and faithful to his team. I don't fault him at all for it.

Yakupov may end up the same way, who knows? But comparing him to Filatov isn't a problem at all.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Yeah that's what I was wondering too... :laugh:

Born in NA [check] (granted he's a Belarusian with dual citizenship in RUS/USA)
Played amateur in Chicago [check]
Roots here in USA [check] (father's friends/ex-team mates)
Verbally "in love" with NA atmosphere [check]
Playing in the OHL [check]

Looks good ;)

“I liked the atmosphere,†Galchenyuk said. “It was a special moment for me. I had never seen 5,000 people watching juniors before.â€

With the seed planted, the Galchenyuks pulled up their stakes again and moved to Chicago, where Alex joined the Midwest Elite League’s Chicago Young Americans in order to be eligible for the OHL draft the next season. Playing against top minor midget competition (the circuit also features teams such as Detroit Honeybaked and Compuware), Galchenyuk destroyed opposing nets. He led the league in scoring with 44 goals and 87 points in 38 games, winning the title by a margin of 19 goals and 33 points.
Full article here

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Nail Yakapov goes first unless there is a hidden sidnay crosby somewhere

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be more inclined to say "YES" to OP's question if Bettman and the PA signed off on sending players to Sochi.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The thing being: Filatov was very vocal about his desire to play in NA, his actions reflected his words, but in the end it was just best to "loan" him back to CSKA for the rest of the season because obviously CBJ didn't put him on the NHL roster and he was wasting his time in the AHL.

That doesn't mention the fact that, when he went back, he had a falling out with certain coaches and people in the Russian hockey organization. Loaning him back seems to have been a mistake as he's regressed this year and lost a lot of confidence.

That said, his words and actions indicate that he's here to stay. For one, he's mastered the English language in preparation for a career in the NHL. For two, he's becoming more coachable and willing to participate in "team" activities. For three, he's down in the AHL right now working away at perceived flaws in his game.

0123456789*

Yakupov is starting to be seriously overated, and im not saying he isnt one of the top talents but people saying he is anything remotely close to a number one lock are out to lunch. One of the front runner out of several players, sure, thats it.

Regarding the op's question, sure if a Russian player is good enough to go first overall then he will, but there will also be a bias towards NA players as they are better scouted through out their career and less of a risk.

Lately there seemed to have been a strong movement of Russian players to the CHL yet many of these players end up back in the KHL. My suspicion is that agents have finally realized that the CHL is better scouted and if a player is on the NHL radar and has NA experience then he gets a good bargaining chip in all future contract talks in the KHL. The highest paid KHL players are former NHL players or prospects, but they are not always the best players. Russian players who stay their whole career in the KHL make less money because they have very little leverage in contract talks because the NHL is not a option due to their lack of NA experience.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
And Galchenyuk doesn't have any Russian factor going with him at all. None at all.

It might not be as significant than other players, but its a BIG stretch to say Galchenyuk doesn't have Russian factor. Galchenyuk has USA citizenship, but I'm really not sold that he's American per say.

Born in USA when his father played but the family chose to live in Russia when father's career was over; the family is culturally Russian (language, food); and previous to this year Alexander only played 1 formative year in America, the rest was within Dynamo Moscow's system.

I'd say David Musil is more Canadian than Galchenyuk is American.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A lot will happen between now and 2012 draft, but Yakupov at least has a chance. But he is small, and almost eligible for this year's draft (so one of the older 2012 eligibles), so not a surprise he is ahead of many of his draft peers at this point. He is basically the same age as Khoklachev. Given his age, size and passport, I will say he will have to step up his production next year to go 1st overall. Scouts tend to be overly critical when a player only slightly improves over their pre-draft year (Couturier is the highest point per game player in the entire CHL, but now people are concerned about his 'upside'). And given some of the struggles of top Russians (Filitov, Zherdev), there might be some hestitation for certain teams given the concern he could return back to Russia.

All that said, I don't see why a Russian won't get picked 1st overall again. Another Kovalchuk, Malkin or Ovechkin will come along and be too good to pass up. But those guys were huge framed guys, which is one thing that makes it tough to go 1st overall. Guys Yakupov's size don't go 1st overall very often, and they really need to outproduce their peers by a fair margin (i.e. Crosby, Kane).

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I dont think a Russian will go #1 theres to big of a risk, and no team wants to risk the first overall pick. Look at this past draft a lot of people said Tarensenko should have been in the discussion with Hall and Seguin but he fell to 16th because he was Russian even though he dreams of playing in the NHL and will be in NA next year when he his KHL contract is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad