Will we get another Banjo Kazooie game?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Microsoft owns the rights but doesn’t seem interested in making another entry in the series. The last one they did Nuts and Bolts was a disaster. It’s been over 20 years since Banjo Tooie was released and that game was excellent.
Fans have been waiting way too long for the third instalment. Perhaps Microsoft would be willing sell the rights to Nintendo or another company willing to make the game?
Playtonic would probably be the most qualified developer to make the game, a bunch of the guys from Rare that worked on the previous games now work there. They recently made a very similar 3D platformer called Yooka Laylee.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
It's way more likely we get remastered Banjo Kazooie than a new game, IMO.

I'd say in the next couple of years something will happen. The addition to Smash Bros, plus childhood nostalgia games like Crash and Spyro getting remasters...I think something will happen.

Oh, and it'll probably be a Microsoft exclusive at launch and come to the Switch eventually.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You kind of answered the question in your own post. They did make a third Banjo & Kazooie, they made Yooka Laylee. Its from the same creators. What would model swapping a mascot do, give a buzz of nostalgia for 5 minutes?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Nuts and Bolts was the only Banjo Kazooie game I actually enjoyed. :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think Nuts and Bolts is actually a bad game, but you can tell that it had some issues in development - like what's with the giant, empty levels?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not a big fan of the SNES 2D donkey Kong games tbh, but yeah, the 3d game also sucked.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ya not sure why they keep making 2D Donkey Kong games when the 3D one for n64 was the best in the series.

The most miserable game of my childhood, you mean?

I'll never hate another game half as much as I hated DK64...which'll happen when you're 12 and save up for months and months to buy a game costing the modern equivalent of $140 to immediately hate it for bringing nothing about the series I liked to 3D. That was the point that Rare was dead to me...helped me make the decision to sell my N64 in order to get a Dreamcast (before Perfect Dark came out, to be fair).

I'm always surprised at just how angry 3D platformers have the ability to make me :laugh:
I just loved 16 bit platformers so much and none of them transitioned to 3D in a way that I enjoyed...not even Mario (no vitriol towards Mario 64, I just enjoyed it less than most of the Mario games I already had...probably saved from the vitriol by not requiring me to change into Wario to collect purple coins). Anyway...all this to say that I'll take Tropical Freeze over anything Rare has made since 1997 or any 3D platformer or collect-a-thon ever.

I get sad when I remember how much I loved Donkey Kong in the mid-90s. Those DKC games felt like a then-modern take on platformers (while Nintendo was dragging their feet on a Super Mario World sequel), especially as DK '94 (GameBoy) literally fleshed the arcade original into a full worlds-based game. DKC felt like the cool 90s version of the 80s DK, whereas DK64 felt like something entirely different with DK characters jammed in. Feels so insanely weird to remember that Donkey Kong stood beside Mario in terms of importance to me for much of my childhood...and with one game he was swatted back down to secondary character that Nintendo only remembers about when they have a dumb peripheral to sell.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Donkey Kong 64 is janky, annoying, ugly (compared to the beautiful 2D games) and tedious.

With that said, I still wouldn't mind seeing a new 3D game in the series, a developer like Retro Studios would find a way to better adapt the 2D gameplay to 3D.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I find the 2D ones too repetitive.
You know I have to be honest, both Sonic and DKC suffer from their first games for me. DKC1 and Sonic 1 I consider not good games. I have heard DKC2 and DKC3 are insanely good but I never got to them after really hating 1 and all the dumb barrel sections

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The devs who made Banjo-Kazooie left Microsoft Rare, formed their own company and made the spiritual sequel to BK:

That's as close as you'll get, collecting games are dead.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The devs who made Banjo-Kazooie left Microsoft Rare, formed their own company and made the spiritual sequel to BK:

That's as close as you'll get, collecting games are dead.

already played it, it was awesome. Hoping for another game just like it to come out in the near future.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You know I have to be honest, both Sonic and DKC suffer from their first games for me. DKC1 and Sonic 1 I consider not good games. I have heard DKC2 and DKC3 are insanely good but I never got to them after really hating 1 and all the dumb barrel sections

DKC 2 is to DKC 1 as Sonic 2 is to Sonic 1. DKC 3 bled too much staff/came out too late on the SNES to leave much of an impact beyond being the point where Rare started to go overboard with the item collecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad