Will Vatanen be on a 1way or 2way deal in 2014/15?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Vatanen's contract is up after this season. Has he done enough to get a 1 way deal next year? or will it be a matter of if Ducks have enough room on D for another 1way deal... I think he deserves a 1way deal next season but also have a feeling it could be one of the 2 year deals where the first year is a 2way and second year is a 1way... what u guys think??

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
He's getting a one-way deal next year with us or someone else. For no other reason than the fact that he will be waiver-eligible and won't make it back to the minors so why bother? I imagine a two-year, 3 mil contract is in order with one of Sbisa or Allen traded to accommodate him. Or he's traded. Definitely no two-way deal or KHL.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A two-way contract doesn't make sense, since(unless I'm mistaken) he won't be waiver exempt anymore.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Will he lose waiver exempt status next year?

I -think- he loses exemption status next season because he played more than 40 games this season. I'd need to double check to be sure, but I believe that's the case.

Edit: Actually, I could be wrong on that. It may be 60 games.

Looks like I'm wrong. He will still be exempt.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm not totally clear with how it works, but I think he's still waiver exempt, just technically. Sami signed his ELC two days before his 20th birthday, so that makes him waiver exempt for four years from that date, not three, meaning he's still waiver exempt for another year. And, since he's only played in 56 games, he hasn't reached the 60 games threshold for a 23 year old, meaning from that criteria, he's still waiver exempt. Although, another blog says it's the age the player reaches that calendar year, which, if that's the case, Sami's not exempt from waivers after this year.

It's a moot point, anyway. I highly doubt he signs another two-way deal, and I highly doubt the team tries to send him down anyway. I believe he's here to stay, and unless he's traded in a bigger deal, they'll move other guys to accommodate him. BB appears to have faith in him, and I won't be surprised to see him called up and inserted into Robidas' spot(although I won't be surprised if he isn't, either).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
With Robi injury i think it is at least a bit more likely of him getting 1 way deal.

Edit: yeah, and also that waiver thing

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
1 way. Even if he could be sent back, he wouldn't sign a 2 way deal. Nothing left for him to really do in the minors. He'll get a 1 way deal with us, or from the team he's traded to.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

They're wrong. The CBA says for players 20 years and older all professional games count towards years played including the minors and European leagues. Sami signed his first contract when he was 20 and rather than get assigned to the AHL he was loaned to JYP which counted as a year served. Last season and this season make three. I know this is completely trivial and moot since he'll sign a one-way deal anyway but these are the facts.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
They're wrong. The CBA says for players 20 years and older all professional games count towards years played including the minors and European leagues. Sami signed his first contract when he was 20 and rather than get assigned to the AHL he was loaned to JYP which counted as a year served. Last season and this season make three. I know this is completely trivial and moot since he'll sign a one-way deal anyway but these are the facts.
No, he was 19.

DOB: 1991/06/03
First contract: 2011/05/31

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Sami signed his contract at 20 in terms of waivers.

Joe you're right and wrong. European games do not count toward waiver eligiblity, which is 160 NHL games only. But yes the year he spent in Europe should count. So I think he will be waiver eligible.

He also might be able to force a 1-way contract because of his RFA rights. As in if he could entice a team to give him a 1-way offer sheet, then if the Ducks match it would have to be 1-way. So the question is do you think other teams would be willing to offer him a 1-way contract?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Sami signed his contract at 20 in terms of waivers.

Joe you're right and wrong. European games do not count toward waiver eligiblity, which is 160 NHL games only. But yes the year he spent in Europe should count. So I think he will be waiver eligible.

He also might be able to force a 1-way contract because of his RFA rights. As in if he could entice a team to give him a 1-way offer sheet, then if the Ducks match it would have to be 1-way. So the question is do you think other teams would be willing to offer him a 1-way contract?

I wasn't talking about NHL games played, I was talking about years played after he signed his contract. So I'm right and right. :D

That's a good point about other teams willing to give him a one-way deal. I don't it matters anyway since he's deserves a one-way deal based on his play and what he can do. Maroon got a one-way deal with far less games played and points scored than Sami. Palmieri had a similar amount of games played and he earned a one-way deal too. I really don't think there will be any issue with him getting a one-way deal as long as he's realistic about the money he deserves.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I wasn't talking about NHL games played, I was talking about years played after he signed his contract. So I'm right and right. :D

That's a good point about other teams willing to give him a one-way deal. I don't it matters anyway since he's deserves a one-way deal based on his play and what he can do. Maroon got a one-way deal with far less games played and points scored than Sami. Palmieri had a similar amount of games played and he earned a one-way deal too. I really don't think there will be any issue with him getting a one-way deal as long as he's realistic about the money he deserves.
OTH he could also try to use a two-way deal as a bargaining chip. Maybe he'll say "I agree to a two-way deal if you bump up the NHL salary." I'm not sure how successful that might be. From his point of view, if he doesn't think he'll clear waivers it might not matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00