Speculation: Will Tortorella Coach Any More Games This Season?

Which?

• Innovate from on high

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Do his job from the bench

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It's not a press conference where he can blurt out the first thing he thinks will get the reaction he wants. There's plenty of time for him to consider the repercussions. I think he's self aware enough to know that even if his job doesn't seem to be in danger after this collapse, the optics of not coaching the last few games would probably be enough to change that.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think the optics of not coaching games would be 10x worse this time. This isn't a slow burn bottom 5-10 team. You can spin that in a moronic way. They choked a playoff spot in epic fashion this year in the last 2 weeks, and I think it would be very poorly received within the organization. Even they have limits. Right? Right?

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think the optics of not coaching games would be 10x worse this time. This isn't a slow burn bottom 5-10 team. You can spin that in a moronic way. They choked a playoff spot in epic fashion this year in the last 2 weeks, and I think it would be very poorly received within the organization. Even they have limits. Right? Right?
Their record may not indicate they are a bottom 5-10 team, but talent wise, they probably are.

Reactions: scumpup

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Their record may not indicate they are a bottom 5-10 team, but talent wise, they probably are.

Bottom 5? I feel like that plays into the Tortorella mystique angle. They're 7th in xGF% at 5v5 and 4th in PK GA/60. Deployed properly, this isn't a dumpster fire skater group either. They're firmly in 10-15 territory, with injuries piling up late and a dreadfully coached PP. And they were designed to be in that tier, which is the criticism we've levied since last summer about the questionable rebuild.

Everyone snickered at Jersey and Ottawa getting goaltending to sink their seasons, and yet, the Flyers might finish dead last in all-situation save %. Lo and behold.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The way he’s been talking to the media lately he seems self-aware the honey moon faze is over with a good enough amount of people in the fanbase & media. Perhaps you could add his team to that mix too.

Not that I think he’s in danger of losing his job or anything. Nor do I think he feels that way but I do think he’s aware he doesn’t have full control of the narrative right now.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012

This is probably the right answer… but I voted for the option with the most drama anyway to will it into existence

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
I'm surprised we stuck in a playoff spot as long as we did. We were sitting ducks for weeks and the teams behind us were tripping over each other and fumbling games away to catch us. Metro was really weird this year

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

3k80JS.gif

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Needs to bench Couts again
THIS ....he names Coots the Captain then benches him.....Torts - EXPLAIN :madfire:

special call the Chief(Berube) to coach the last 3 games

hfboards will go off the scales o_O

(btw) Jones and Berube are close friends :nod:

Reactions: scumpup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad