Will Toronto match a $16 million offersheet for Matthews?

Will/Can Toronto match a max offersheet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Let's hope they do and cripple their team like the Blackhawks did a few years ago.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Arizona will not get the chance to offer sheet him. Also wonder if Coyote's ownership/ internal cap would allow a 16 million player.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Nobody is really expecting Arizona to offer sheet him...how could Arizona possibly afford that? Not to mention Matthews would have to accept it.

Reactions: Howard Beale

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
There's a better chance of McDavid requesting a trade out of Edmonton than Matthews leaving a cup contending Leafs team that hasn't missed the playoffs since he arrived.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They could but it's hard to imagine anyone being stupid enough to pay 1 player that much. I know we've seen some mighty moronic moves from GM's but nothing at that level.
Setting a new standard for stupid probably isn't on any GM's to do list.

So i'll present a 3rd voting option.

Yes they could but no they wouldn't.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Where is the option that states that offer sheets are ridiculous and that there won't be one?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Can Arizona afford to pay out 16m lump sum every July 1st? No? Okay then put that to rest.

Also alternate poll question: would Matthews sign an offer sheet when he's the captain of one of a few cup favourites?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Can Arizona afford to pay out 16m lump sum every July 1st? No? Okay then put that to rest.

Also alternate poll question: would Matthews sign an offer sheet when he's the captain of one of a few cup favourites?

He's an option. Matthews has this 16m X 7 year(unsigned) offer sheet in hand. from Arizona. Matthews goes to the Leafs saying either match OR. I will agree to 12m X 4 year deal. Then I will be UFA in four years and sign with team for 15m...maybe the Leafs, Rangers or a California team. Matthews plays for a Cup contender for four years (instead of Arizona) and then goes out maximizes his commercial money either with Leafs or a big US city.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

CBA

Oct 18, 2009
Toronto
What everyone forgets, would Matthews sign an offer sheet from a bottom feeder team. Other than Arizona I can’t see it happening.

Generally good teams don’t have $16million in cap space lying around.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Organizations that run at a 16 million seasonal deficit do not have 16 million dollars to throw around. Not really a difficult concept. Like, at least make it the Rangers or something.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
no because no team regardless of their location is going to offer Matthews $16M that is franchise suicide

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
why in the world would matthews even accept an offersheet? people always forget that. Matthews will be signed long before that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad