Will the wings for sure draft a defenseman with their pick (6th oa)?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The wings have been one of the most dominant teams for 20 + years of consecutive playoff runs. They are now in a "rebuild mode" imo and they have a lot of young forward talent. Their d prospect pool looks pretty bad and their defense right now isn't doing so hot as well. There is a lot of defensive talent at that pick and I really think it would be their best option Imo. Let me know what you guys think.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
It's growing increasingly likely that at least one of Dobson or Bouchard will be gone by 6, so if they keep 6 they will pick whoever is left. If not, they likely trade down and take Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
The wings have been one of the most dominant teams for 20 + years of consecutive playoff runs. They are now in a "rebuild mode" imo and they have a lot of young forward talent. Their d prospect pool looks pretty bad and their defense right now isn't doing so hot as well. There is a lot of defensive talent at that pick and I really think it would be their best option Imo. Let me know what you guys think.
They have been linked to Kotkaniemi a bit but I think there is no way they don't go D at the draft.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
If Zadina or Tkachuk somehow fall to 6, I could see them trying to trade down a spot or two for a king's ransom and if no team wants to do that, then they will probably just take BPA

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Defense pool depth (no particular order, just those that seem like decent prospects/guys in the system):

Cholowski
Hronek
Saarijarvi
Lindstrom
Hicketts
Kotkansalo
Sulak

Now's let check forward:

Rasmussen
Turgeon
Pope

I think you have it backwards. Forwards please.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I think so, its projected that the best players available when they pick do play defence so it's a safe bet they will.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Defense pool depth (no particular order, just those that seem like decent prospects/guys in the system):

Cholowski
Hronek
Saarijarvi
Lindstrom
Hicketts
Kotkansalo
Sulak

Now's let check forward:

Rasmussen
Turgeon
Pope

You're not wrong that our defensive pool depth is better, but none of those guys project as top line players and we don't have any mainstays on defense at the NHL level. We do have much better forwards at the NHL level already making an impact. I really hope we take a D at 6 and then build our forward depth with later picks.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You're not wrong that our defensive pool depth is better, but none of those guys project as top line players and we don't have any mainstays on defense at the NHL level. We do have much better forwards at the NHL level already making an impact. I really hope we take a D at 6 and then build our forward depth with later picks.

We don't have NHL D mainstays NOW. We have better forwards (your words) NOW. You draft for 4 to 5 years from now. 4 to 5 years from now Hronek and Cholowski (one of them probably) could be in the top pair, the other 2nd pairing and two or three of the rest are there to fill out the bottom but skilled depth at forward could be abysmal. Mantha, Larkin, Bert, Rasmussen and............

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Cholowski
Hronek
Saarijarvi
Lindstrom
Hicketts
Kotkansalo
Sulak

Now's let check forward:

Rasmussen
Turgeon
Pope

Yeah, but you dont have any defense under the age of 24 and Ouelett (the youngest) is a bottom-pairing dman. Lets look at your top tier u-24 players for forwards and defensemen within the organization.

Forwards:
Rasmussen
Larkin
Mantha
Athanasiou
Bertuzzi
Svechnikov

Defensemen:
Cholowski
Hronek

Those defenseman are hardly top tier dmen too. Definitely need some defensemen.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Zadina or Tkachuk somehow fall to 6, I could see them trying to trade down a spot or two for a king's ransom and if no team wants to do that, then they will probably just take BPA
If Zadina falls to 6 (Not happening) they take Zadina. They don't trade down.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The worst thing a team can do is reach for a need. Unless that player was that highly ranked on your draft board.

Otherwise, it's BPA.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
If Zadina falls to 6 (Not happening) they take Zadina. They don't trade down.
That's why I said it would have to be for a king's ransom. If someone offered another first rounder just to move up a couple spots, I would absolutely do it. I really don't think Zadina is that much further ahead then the rest in the 4-9 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad