• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I disagree. Just bench Staal, Suter,and Koivu in the final couple of games. Play Ennis, Greenway, and Olofsson in their spots.
Old guys get rested for the playoffs. It's a win, win...or maybe a lose,win.

What's the big deal if the Wild end up getting the final WC spot instead the 1st? Still the same teams, and near impossible task.

All this assumes that they actually do well before the final few games, and secure a PO spot.
It's the securing of a playoff spot that I'm concerned about. Once we do that I have no problem resting guys and taking either wildcard spot.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Resting a few guys is one thing, making a strategic choice to run from one team is another. This team's mental fragility isn't one I trust to handle their management saying "Jesus God, you wet skittles can't play Winnipeg! They'd pass you through so unchewed that nobody would notice any difference, but you'd be changed! You can't be unpooped!"

Though I do love the idea of playing Tyler "Got into a car accident with Chuck Fletcher and had no insurance so the judge ordered him to be on the Wild" Ennis at 1C so the oldies can go straight to bed after Wheel. And then somehow winning. God dammit Tyler "Hockey player placebo" Ennis! Can't you do anything right?!?

Reactions: Plickspect and FVM

Wabit

May 23, 2016
5 teams left for 4 Playoff spots, and each team controls their own fate. Dallas isn't technically eliminated yet, but they somehow make it the Wild are also in.

Central: 2 Playoff spots (3rd in Division and a WC), maybe a 3rd (both WC)
Wild (96p): EDM, @ Ducks, @ LA, @ SJS.
Col (92p): @ Ducks, @ LA, @ SJS, STL.
STL (92p): Caps, Hawks, @ Hawks, @ Col.

Pacific: 1 Playoff spot (3rd in Division), maybe a 2nd (WC)
LA (94p): Avs, Wild, Stars.
Ducks (93p): Avs, Wild, Stars, @ AZ.

100p (4p needed in 4 games) and the Wild clinch a spot, no matter what the rest of the teams do. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 of the 5 teams finished between 96p-98p.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

5 teams left for 4 Playoff spots, and each team controls their own fate. Dallas isn't technically eliminated yet, but they somehow make it the Wild are also in.

Central: 2 Playoff spots (3rd in Division and a WC), maybe a 3rd (both WC)
Wild (96p): EDM, @ Ducks, @ LA, @ SJS.
Col (92p): @ Ducks, @ LA, @ SJS, STL.
STL (92p): Caps, Hawks, @ Hawks, @ Col.

Pacific: 1 Playoff spot (3rd in Division), maybe a 2nd (WC)
LA (94p): Avs, Wild, Stars.
Ducks (93p): Avs, Wild, Stars, @ AZ.

100p (4p needed in 4 games) and the Wild clinch a spot, no matter what the rest of the teams do. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 of the 5 teams finished between 96p-98p.

Dallas eliminated

As of last night, however, the Stars have officially been eliminated from the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
The Anaheim Ducks overcame a 3-1 deficit to the Colorado Avalanche to win 4-3 in overtime, placing them in the 3rd Pacific spot with 95 points. That means the two wild-card spots are held by the Los Angeles Kings (94 points) and the Avalanche (93 points), with the St. Louis Blues (92 points) just behind them.
Even if the Stars win out, they can only get a maximum of 94 points. And since the Avalanche and Blues play each other for their final games of the season, that means there will be at least 8 teams with 94 points or more at the end of the regular season. The Stars would lose a tiebreaker with all three teams, thus have been mathematically eliminated from postseason contention.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
It's official. Wild are in and in the 3rd seed.

Jets fan coming in peace.

It's official, Wild Vs Jets.

Since relocation, I've been waiting for the Jets and Wild to meet in the playoffs. Going to be a great rivalry!

I'll be honest, the Wild freak me out.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
This has felt like such a strange season. Lots of questions and uncertainty at times. Glad they made it!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Since relocation, I've been waiting for the Jets and Wild to meet in the playoffs. Going to be a great rivalry!

Would've been better to see best on best lineup with these two though ...

Reactions: HPsauce

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
It's hard to dislike the Jets. I love Big Buff and Wheeler. They don't look like the underachievers we know and love this year. Rough first round series.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The dream to play Vegas in the 1st round is still alive (on life support), but crazy things have to happen.

To finish in the WC spot instead of 3rd in the Central:
-Wild have to lose out in regulation their last 3 games. (finish with 98p)
-STL needs to win out their last 3 games, 2 of which need to be ROW. STL has to win the 1st tiebreaker (ROW). Wild hold the 2nd tiebreaker.

The Pacific needs to have:
-LA finish in the top 3. Wild have to lose to them and they hold the ROW tiebreaker.
-Ducks finish with 98p or less. Wild have the ROW tiebreaker.

Screw it I'm rooting for the Wild to win their last 3 games, and the Avs to somehow get the last WC spot. As a hockey fan I really want to see a Nashville/Avs 1st round series.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
It's hockey and it's the stanley cup playoffs. The odds are there's gonna be 2-3 surprise exits in the first round. The Jets don't scare me one bit. Buff's great but a great a liability as well. Go Wild!

Should start thinking about playoff avatars asap. Jets can go with a white out if you ask me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's hockey and it's the stanley cup playoffs. The odds are there's gonna be 2-3 surprise exits in the first round. The Jets don't scare me one bit. Buff's great but a great a liability as well. Go Wild!

Should start thinking about playoff avatars asap. Jets can go with a white out if you ask me.
avatar idea "why can't we have nice things" suggested by OTH the other day. I think it's a great idea!

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

Not official yet... but likely, Wild have nothing to play for now and it wouldnt shock me to see them lose all 3 on this trip. St.Louis has Chicago twice and then Colorado so it may come down to the last day of season for positioning

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Not official yet... but likely, Wild have nothing to play for now and it wouldnt shock me to see them lose all 3 on this trip. St.Louis has Chicago twice and then Colorado so it may come down to the last day of season for positioning

Wild need one point or for St. Louis to lose any of their remaining games in any fashion.

Probably 99% chance Wild vs Jets.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wild need one point or for St. Louis to lose any of their remaining games in any fashion.

Probably 99% chance Wild vs Jets.
Also note that in theory the Jets could pass Nashville, 5 back with 3 to play. But the 99% chance still applies.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Leafs fan coming in peace. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the Wild have actually clinched. Looking at the schedule, if STL wins out (Beats Wild ROW wins), the Wild lose out, and LA and ANA get 99 points the Wild are out.

What am I missing?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Leafs fan coming in peace. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the Wild have actually clinched. Looking at the schedule, if STL wins out (Beats Wild ROW wins), the Wild lose out, and LA and ANA get 99 points the Wild are out.

What am I missing?

Col can only get 97p max and would be out of the Playoffs. It's the same for SJS.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

What am I missing?

We can’t be passed by Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad