Will the Super Bowl ever be held out of the US?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
With the NFL clearly wanting to expand its international brand, is there a chance they would ever hold the game in a different country? If so, where could it be held? Could any of London, Toronto, Vancouver, Mexico City, Dubai, or Jeddah one day be home to a Super Bowl?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With the NFL clearly wanting to expand its international brand, is there a chance they would ever hold the game in a different country? If so, where could it be held? Could any of London, Toronto, Vancouver, Mexico City, Dubai, or Jeddah one day be home to a Super Bowl?
Unlikely but only because the Super Bowl has become a corporate party.

Reactions: oknazevad and MMC

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Only if Toronto builds an NFL sized domed stadium, which isn’t likely anytime soon. But, that’s the only location I could see getting a Super Bowl outside of the US.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The NFL loves fleecing local markets for huge financial concessions and the like for the honor of hosting the Super Bowl. Fat chance getting that kind of package overseas, where the NFL is an afterthought rounding up.

Maybe Toronto at some point, but that still seems like a stretch to me.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The NFL loves fleecing local markets for huge financial concessions and the like for the honor of hosting the Super Bowl. Fat chance getting that kind of package overseas, where the NFL is an afterthought rounding up.

Maybe Toronto at some point, but that still seems like a stretch to me.
Pretty sure UEFA already does this for the Champions League and European Championship Finals.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Pretty sure UEFA already does this for the Champions League and European Championship Finals.

I have little doubt of that. But soccer is king over there and football is king over here. Freaky Friday the two and the public coffers aren’t going to be as wide open in new lands.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I have little doubt of that. But soccer is king over there and football is king over here. Freaky Friday the two and the public coffers aren’t going to be as wide open in new lands.
That's true, though I think with their foray into London, and having the likes of Kroenke and Khan owning soccer clubs there, it could smooth things out with the local government for a Super Bowl at Wembley.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Only if Toronto builds an NFL sized domed stadium, which isn’t likely anytime soon. But, that’s the only location I could see getting a Super Bowl outside of the US.
Wembley will 100% get one before they even consider Toronto. They want to expand to Europe badly. The gap to the ceiling for interest in football is much higher in Europe since Canada already has a decent NFL following.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Wembley will 100% get one before they even consider Toronto. They want to expand to Europe badly. The gap to the ceiling for interest in football is much higher in Europe since Canada already has a decent NFL following.

I’m not sure about that, you are asking a lot of businesses/sponsors/media to travel to London and be stationed there for a week. I think the current economic climate that would be a tough sell. Maybe in 20-30 years it could be done, that’s why I think Toronto is more likely since it is in North America still.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess you have to ask how committed they are to the current start time first.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Right now, I believe the rule is it can only be held in a current NFL stadium. Hence why the Rose Bowl has been removed from the rotation. However, we know the NFL will gladly change a rule to make a dollar.

See: Thursday night flex rule or Hard Knocks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00