Will the St-Louis Blues make the playoffs? If yes - can they be dangerous?

Will the St Louis Blues quality for the playoffs this season? If so - how do they do?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I find the St Louis Blues to be perhaps the most fascinating team in hockey this year. Based on where they were last year, where people expected them to be this year, how they started out the year and where they are today. So much movement.

They made a lot of big moves this off season. A lot of the hockey world (certainly a lot on HF) had them picked as most improved team and serious threat/contender going into this season. But for the first 1-2 months of the season, not only were they not improved they were arguably bar none the worst team in the league, in last place, and extremely disappointing.

We're past the halfway point in the season now - and most teams have played ~48 games or so. And if you look at the western conference playoff race you have, currently in playoff position:

Col - 47 games, 50 points
Dallas - 48 games, 50 points
Minnesota - 47 games, 49 points
(bunch of other teams not in the playoffs)
St Louis - 46 games, 45 points.

I think St Louis is the team that's been most involved in trade rumors on HF this year. Tarasenko, Pietro, Parayko and others. Yet they're still only a couple points out of a playoff spot. If they win their 2 games in hand on Dallas - they end up with 1 point back with around 34 games to go.

Considering how high everyone around here was on this team going into this year (certainly - majority of HF was higher on Blues than anyone else currently involved in the western playoff race) - who here thinks St Louis figures it out and makes the playoffs this year?

Bonus question - if they do make the playoffs - does anyone think they can be a serious threat and find success, or are they an easy round 1 out at best?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No, they won’t make the playoffs but if they do, I can easily see them being swept out of round 1.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I find the St Louis Blues to be perhaps the most fascinating team in hockey this year. Based on where they were last year, where people expected them to be this year, how they started out the year and where they are today. So much movement.

They made a lot of big moves this off season. A lot of the hockey world (certainly a lot on HF) had them picked as most improved team and serious threat/contender going into this season. But for the first 1-2 months of the season, not only were they not improved they were arguably bar none the worst team in the league, in last place, and extremely disappointing.

We're past the halfway point in the season now - and most teams have played ~48 games or so. And if you look at the western conference playoff race you have, currently in playoff position:

Col - 47 games, 50 points
Dallas - 48 games, 50 points
Minnesota - 47 games, 49 points
(bunch of other teams not in the playoffs)
St Louis - 46 games, 45 points.

I think St Louis is the team that's been most involved in trade rumors on HF this year. Tarasenko, Pietro, Parayko and others. Yet they're still only a couple points out of a playoff spot. If they win their 2 games in hand on Dallas - they end up with 1 point back with around 34 games to go.

Considering how high everyone around here was on this team going into this year (certainly - majority of HF was higher on Blues than anyone else currently involved in the western playoff race) - who here thinks St Louis figures it out and makes the playoffs this year?

Bonus question - if they do make the playoffs - does anyone think they can be a serious threat and find success, or are they an easy round 1 out at best?

Yes I do as they have easily the best roster out of all of those "bubble" teams (save maybe for Colorado who will likely be 3rd in the Central) and have been playing much better hockey lately, getting average goaltending which is leading to points.

Their next 3 games before the break are against Ottawa, LA, and the freefalling Ducks. If they win those 3 games (And you could argue they need to), they could very well be in a playoff position by the All Star break.

As for what type of "yes"--No I don't think they'll win a round. But considering they will have to play to preseason expectations to get there, I could see them still being a "tough out" for a wildcard.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Hard to say, on paper they seem to have a really solid team but obviously results haven’t followed. I think their style of play lends itself to playoff success, I’m just not sure if they’ll make it in the way this season is going. They need a lot of their talent to get going.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I know the Blues have a couple games in hand but making up 5 points when you have 5 teams ahead of you is tougher then it seems

It's not out of the question the Blues make it but whoever makes it out of that logjam is basically going to have to have a good streak coming up real soon(like 8-2 over the next 10)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know the Blues have a couple games in hand but making up 5 points when you have 5 teams ahead of you is tougher then it seems

It's not out of the question the Blues make it but whoever makes it out of that logjam is basically going to have to have a good streak coming up real soon(like 8-2 over the next 10)

Pfft 8-2? How about 10-0...

What's the general feeling today, 1 month later? Playoff-bound, or can still fall out?

And - can they be a contender in the west? They're getting awfully close to some of the top teams with their record...

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
They'd better watch out for the curse of the 10 game win streak. Seems like in the last couple years, having a streak that long has been the kiss of death.

Either way, I'm excited for what looks like a Nashville-St.Louis first round battle.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hot shot goaltenders usually flame out in the playoffs.
Binnington really isnt standing on his head though. He's going to lose some games and he's going to have some rough games....every goalie has that. Allen has the tendency to go incendiary hot too. Wouldnt be surprised to see him pick up the ball and run with it if Binnington slips considerably

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad