Will the Sharks make a big splash at the draft?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Such as DW trading away a 2nd round pick to stop Detroit from getting Muller when it was quite clear that Mantha was Detroit's guy? :laugh:

Columbus had Mirco Mueller and Kirby Rychel targeted. The Sharks had Curtis Lazar (allegedly) and Mirco targeted. Well the Sharks nabbed Mirco after Lazar went to Ottawa to prevent CBJ getting him who took Rychel. So I think the initial target was Lazar who went one spot ahead of Mueller. Of course this doesn't matter now.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Columbus had Mirco Mueller and Kirby Rychel targeted. The Sharks had Curtis Lazar (allegedly) and Mirco targeted. Well the Sharks nabbed Mirco after Lazar went to Ottawa to prevent CBJ getting him who took Rychel.

We'll never know for certain but I recall later reading (months after the draft) that Rychel was Columbus' guy from the start, and Wilson was actually trying to make sure that Detroit wouldn't get him.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
It was actually to stop Columbus from getting Mueller. DW moved up two spots, jumping over the Jackets.

Which was stupid. Mantha would have been the right pick. DW loves his high floor, low ceiling players.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
DW is changing his tune and retools the team completely no one is left. HFboards will all be filled with Sharks trades stay tuned. :nod:

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
2 things about this thread

1) Those who are complaining about DW's draft picks have to realize that this isn't a few years ago. He's drafted Couture, Petrecki, Coyle, Hertl, and Mueller as his last 5 1st round picks. He's drafted some good players in later rounds as well. This is without having the luxury of a high pick.

2) Whether or not it turned out to be poor asset management, DW felt that there was a chance that Mueller was going to be gone at our pick. If he really wanted Mueller, and felt that after him there was a drop-off in talent, then trading up to select him was a smart move. The 2nd was the required cost to move up 2 spots, according to the other team that had all of the leverage.

Complaining about the Kennedy trade is fine, though. That was stupid.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'm hoping they trade up a couple spots and nab Milano, heard nothing but good things about him.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
Nope.

DW re-signs Wingles, Demers and Sheppard. He buys out (or possibly trades) Havlat and he's done for the Summer with the possible exception of a Hannan-type signing.

I think his "big moves" are going to be to try and change leadership and the locker room culture without changing the personnel. He'll probably pull another Mueller type deal as well (Our 1st + our 2nd to move up in the first round).

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I mean who do they move since it seems more and more likely that Thornton and Marleau aren't going anywhere and Pavs, Logan, Hertl, Nieto, etc. are part of our core according to DW. That really leaves Burns but if they trade him then our defense becomes horrible unless we get good young top 4 defenseman back.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I mean who do they move since it seems more and more likely that Thornton and Marleau aren't going anywhere and Pavs, Logan, Hertl, Nieto, etc. are part of our core according to DW. That really leaves Burns but if they trade him then our defense becomes horrible unless we get good young top 4 defenseman back.

Could still trade Niemi. I doubt DW considers trading burns unless there's an overpayment with a top 4 dman coming back (assuming he's traded as a forward). Otherwise, we play him on D and see how he fairs in that role again. I'm really curious to see how much his ice awareness has increased playing both positions. I know I tend to see the ice differently when I play F and D. It's pretty eye opening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad