Will the Sharks make a big splash at the draft?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I am not talking about a trade like 2nd for Kennedy last year, or like 1st and 2nd for 1st last year

I mean a big splash. Whether it be Thornton, Burns, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, Niemi, Wingels, or even the extremely unlikely Hertl or Nieto. Or potentially Wilson trading a 1st for a player.

Do you think he will make a big splash at the draft?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Nope, he will make a few ripples to pick up more picks. That he will then waste on a typical safe wilson draft pick.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
DW can make a splash by trading:

1. Future (based on DW): Pavs, Couture, Vlasic, Nieto, Mueller, Hertl, Braun - Not going to trade.
2. Old core: Jumbo, Patty - Not asking them to waive
3. Draft picks - Not going to trade.

Honestly, Burns is the only piece I can see him flipping for what would qualify as a 'splash' move. Despite the team moving Burns back to D, I don't think DW has ever stated that Burns is part of our future. That and/or if Patty or Jumbo agree to move.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No. The big splash would be moving Thornton and while I think there are offers out there, JT holding the cards will limit the draft buzz.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm going to say no. I could see Niemi getting moved at the draft but I feel like he's the only one that will, maybe.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I think they'll just make picks and not make and roster moves.

If they do I'll be very surprised.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I think that the Sharks should trade all of their picks in this draft to one of Buffalo, Calgary or Florida (maybe Edmonton) for their next years 1st round pick. :laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...ly-avoid-worst-trade-time-164506585--nhl.html

That's right, for the Jackets' No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren't enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings' No. 30 if they wanted it.

Hopper15

Oct 2, 2006
Bay Area
I am not talking about a trade like 2nd for Kennedy last year, or like 1st and 2nd for 1st last year

I mean a big splash. Whether it be Thornton, Burns, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, Niemi, Wingels, or even the extremely unlikely Hertl or Nieto. Or potentially Wilson trading a 1st for a player.

Ugh Don't remind me. Hated that trade from day one.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I think that the Sharks should trade all of their picks in this draft to one of Buffalo, Calgary or Florida (maybe Edmonton) for their next years 1st round pick. :laugh:

If they can get a young(20-25) NHL proven defenseman, with Top 4 potential, using their 1st rounder then Wilson should cash it. It would help speed up his "rebuild", and we aren't exactly dealing with absolutes when it comes to picking @ #20 this year.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Ugh Don't remind me. Hated that trade from day one.

:laugh: instantly lost value on that 2nd...

I actually didn't mind it at first. Didn't understand dropping Gali to add Kennedy with a 2nd, but thought Kennedy would a good depth replacement.

Boy, did his playoff performance against the Islanders have me fooled..

But, shhhhhhh ;) Need to sell him as a bad fit. :nod:

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I think we'll make a splash this summer, but not at the draft. I think Joe and Patty may need more time to warm up to the idea of being moved. I see them getting dealt in August for prospects and 2015 picks.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Pull a vancouver, trade stalock at the draft and then at the deadline trade niemi. That will start the rebuild pretty quickly.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Nope, I think DW will be quiet at the draft. If anything I think he'll actually move back in the first round to pick up an extra second.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Well, was hearing that one team (with top 3 pick) was looking for a 2nd pick, perhaps as low as 20th. So, perhaps the Sharks "trade down" to get more picks.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007

Trading Demers/Wingels is a big splash?

No splashes. None of the players you mentioned will get traded except for maybe Niemi/Demers.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If they can get a young(20-25) NHL proven defenseman, with Top 4 potential, using their 1st rounder then Wilson should cash it. It would help speed up his "rebuild", and we aren't exactly dealing with absolutes when it comes to picking @ #20 this year.

Nah, they need a player with high end potential. Joshua Ho-Sang would be my pick, personally. If you can get another 1st for Niemi, then you can try to draft a defenseman with a high ceiling.

They have a lot of sure fire NHL players already and have proven they can use the later rounds to find those types of guys if they need to.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, was hearing that one team (with top 3 pick) was looking for a 2nd pick, perhaps as low as 20th. So, perhaps the Sharks "trade down" to get more picks.

That would either be Buffalo or Florida since Edmonton doesn't have anything in the second round to trade down to at this point. It cost the Leafs in 2011 the 30th and 39th picks to get to the 22nd pick. Buffalo right now has 31, 39, and 49 in the 2nd round. Florida has just 32 in the second round.

If the Sabres are willing to pony up all their 2nd round picks, I would consider it as it really should only be 31, 39, and a late round pick to cover the difference but all three would be an overpayment to be considered.

I doubt DW is willing to do that though with his insistence on keeping his 1st round pick. I could see us trading down with a team like Anaheim or St. Louis who have 1st round picks behind us with high 2nd round picks to compensate for it although St. Louis being one pick behind us makes them unlikely unless they're competing directly with a trade-up team for a prospect.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That would either be Buffalo or Florida since Edmonton doesn't have anything in the second round to trade down to at this point. It cost the Leafs in 2011 the 30th and 39th picks to get to the 22nd pick. Buffalo right now has 31, 39, and 49 in the 2nd round. Florida has just 32 in the second round.

If the Sabres are willing to pony up all their 2nd round picks, I would consider it as it really should only be 31, 39, and a late round pick to cover the difference but all three would be an overpayment to be considered.

I doubt DW is willing to do that though with his insistence on keeping his 1st round pick. I could see us trading down with a team like Anaheim or St. Louis who have 1st round picks behind us with high 2nd round picks to compensate for it although St. Louis being one pick behind us makes them unlikely unless they're competing directly with a trade-up team for a prospect.

Such as DW trading away a 2nd round pick to stop Detroit from getting Muller when it was quite clear that Mantha was Detroit's guy? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad