OT: Will the Penguins draft Lemieux's son?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
If the time comes where he is draft eligible, and would otherwise be a questionable (or doubtful) selection, do you foresee the Penguins spending a 7th round pick on him?

edit: Something strange happened when I posted the poll. There should be a 'yes' and 'no' option. Could a mod please fix this if possible? Thanks. Otherwise, feel free to discuss.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
it'd be a nice story. i enjoyed seeing Lou trade for a pick so that Marty could draft his son.

for some reason that i'm not quite able to articulate, i don't think that's something that Shero would entertain. he'll probably use the pick on a undersized NCAA forward or a puck-moving rearguard out of Junior A. :sarcasm:

edit: on the other hand, he did draft Philip Samuelsson and Andy Bathgate - is Randy Velischek a Mario crony?

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Is he any good? Brodeur's son isn't a top notch prospect, but he is at least Major Junior caliber and could develop. Where does Austin play? Does he have a chance at Major Junior or Div 1. hockey? If not, don't bother. If so, why not?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
When is he draft eligible and is he considered a good prospect?
Didn't see any HF write up.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
When is he draft eligible and is he considered a good prospect?
Didn't see any HF write up.

he will be eligible for the upcoming 2014 Draft. Played the last two seasons for the Pittsburgh Predators and had 28 points in 45 games. For instance Travis Konecny, who went No. 1 in the OHL Draft and is almost a full year younger, had 114 points in 54 games against similar competition. Not sure where he will play next season, but if he would not be Marios son his chance of getting drafted would be very slim. However, if he has a good season I could see us taking him in the 7th round similar like NJ took Brodeur last draft.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
So I've wondered about this for a few years, ever since I heard a story that the GM of the London Knights drafted the GM of the Windsor Spitfires son. He then proceeded to more or less hold the kid hostage demanding a lopsided trade, or basically since they held his rights they would ruin the kids career(basically cut his ice time not play him etc.)

Never found out what happened or even if it was true, but would the flyers or some other team throw away a 5th or 6th just to be a dick to Lemieux.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Is the kid any good? Based on his stats for the Predators, it sounds like he is an average AAA player. So yeah, he's not getting drafted.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So I've wondered about this for a few years, ever since I heard a story that the GM of the London Knights drafted the GM of the Windsor Spitfires son. He then proceeded to more or less hold the kid hostage demanding a lopsided trade, or basically since they held his rights they would ruin the kids career(basically cut his ice time not play him etc.)

Never found out what happened or even if it was true, but would the flyers or some other team throw away a 5th or 6th just to be a dick to Lemieux.

Not going to happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
if he is drafted it will be purely for show. If the draft was in Pittsburgh I'd say maybe but very doubtful. With the draft anywhere else there's no chance.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Mario (and his son) would be better off grooming the kid to help run the business.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The Flyers only waste draft picks in the 3rd round on goons, assuming they haven't already traded them all away. I don't see it happening.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Why waste a draft pick?

Agree. It's a bone-headed idea that almost never makes sense, regardless of sport. I think "Want to Believe ™" but don't give it much thought.

The sons of Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, and many other star athletes have proven that genes alone aren't enough to give a kid a look at draft time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agree. It's a bone-headed idea that almost never makes sense, regardless of sport. I think "Want to Believe ™" but don't give it much thought.

The sons of Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, and many other star athletes have proven that genes alone aren't enough to give a kid a look at draft time.

it clearly wouldn't be a move that anybody intends to be a good hockey move. It would be a way to do something neat for the kid. Which I think is dumb in its own right, but still. Arguing the merit of the pick in hockey terms is dumb because it would obviously be throwing away a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad