Will the Oilers lead the league in goals scored?

Will the Oilers lead the league in goals scored next season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It looks like they’ve made some nice additions at forward and have a good prospect, or two coming in.

Do you think Edmonton will lead the league in goals scored next year?

Edit: Here’s their potential forward group for reference.

Thanks to @Llamamoto for adding it in the thread.

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Foegele - McLeod - Kassian/Holloway
Shore/Perlini/Benson - Ryan - Archibald​

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
in 2 years time they could be icing the a pretty fearsome top 9 assuming the wingers they drafted pan out. The potential in that top 6 would be special.

Connor McDavid
Leon Draisaitl
Xavier Bourgault
Jesse Puljujarvi
Dylan Holloway
Zack Hyman
Warren Foegele
RNH
Carter Savoie

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If guys like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto show improvement it could be possible but they will need their bottom to actually score some goals.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
If the bottom 6 doesn’t get absolutely caved in, then perhaps yes. I would love to see them not go -30 5v5 when McDrai not on the ice

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Interesting that the discussion up to now has only focused on the forwards.
Just a reminder: Barrie and Nurse were the 3rd and 4th highest scorers, respectively last season.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
For reference, here's what our forward group should look like:

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Foegele - McLeod - Kassian/Holloway
Shore/Perlini/Benson - Ryan - Archibald

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They probably have as good a chance as any, but the field is still more likely. McDavid and Draisaitl both stayed healthy and scored at ridiculous paces last year and the PP was once again at the top of the league, and they finished 7th, 14 goals behind the Avs, which would prorate to 20/21 goals over a full season. Adding Hyman, and improvements from Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and/or a better season from RNH could make up that difference, but that doesn't account for any slippage in McDavid, Drai, Nurse or Barrie's performances, who all were healthy and scored probably as well as could be expected.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Finished 7th last year, 14 goals off the lead. Forward group is much improved with Hyman, Foegele, Ryan added. Defence is probably better at scoring as well with Keith, Bouchard, Ceci in. Could happen for sure.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Finished 7th last year, 14 goals off the lead. Forward group is much improved with Hyman, Foegele, Ryan added. Defence is probably better at scoring as well with Keith, Bouchard, Ceci in. Could happen for sure.
They will face better teams this year instead of beating up on the sens every second game

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
They will face better teams this year instead of beating up on the sens every second game

I mean kinda unfair to say that considering the team that lead the league in goals(Avs) got to play the California teams 24 times.

Reactions: snipes

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I mean kinda unfair to say that considering the team that lead the league in goals(Avs) got to play the California teams 24 times.
How is it unfair? I’m just saying that against most teams in the league that i don’t think the oilers are going to score 6,7 or 8 goals against like they did to the sens on numerous occasions. I don’t really care how they do I’m just saying in my opinion I don’t think they are going to lead the league in scoring this year and I don’t think Mcdavid is going to get 130+ points like some predict. The league and refs were handing out pps like candy at the end of last year so he could hit 100 points. It almost seemed staged at the end of it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not impossible, if you want to say last year was an outlier, fine, lets go back to the 2019-20 season before with an normalized schedule.

They had 225 goals ... the best team in the league as of shut down was Tampa Bay with 245 goals.

If Hyman + Foegele + some of their young players improving add 20 extra goals, well there you go.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Forward group is a lot better and they’re in the weakest division in hockey in the Pacific which is far worse than the North was this year.

Best PP in the league the last 2 years and no reason to think the PP won’t be dominant again.

Finishing top 3 in goals for is fairly realistic, homer voted yes.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Almost for certain top five. (Barring a long term injury to
McDavid.)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The divisions aren’t going to matter this year.

There shouldn’t be any talk of teams, or players having inflated goal/point totals. Everyone is pretty much on a level playing field when it comes to that.

Of course teams play their divisional opponents 4 times, but it’s not like last season where every team was only playing within their own division.

Personally I do think the Oilers end up with the most goals. Tampa and NYR should be in the mix as well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Forward group is better. And while they are in the Pacific they are playing non Pacific teams a lot. I don’t think they’ll feast like they did in the North last year with its poor Defences but should still be top 5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad