Will the NHL ever have a crazy offseason like in MLB?

ZeroPT*

**** is going down in the MLB. Trades flying left right and center. San Diego's GM is going full video game mode. Will that ever happen in the NHL? Will a GM say "**** it, let me completely shake the league up"?

Furthermore, which offseason was the craziest and why?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Not unless there are 320 million dollar contracts.

Much less loyalty when that kind of money is being thrown around, just take a look at Pablo Sandoval.

Also, drafting is an absolute crapshoot, and there is no drafting for international players, just a FA period.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
After the 04-05 lockout was pretty crazy. A lot of big names signed to other teams, not many trades but a lot of free agents.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It truly would be interesting to see the NHL with no salary cap, to see how many young players continue signing small contracts in order to get to UFA status rather than locking up long-term with the team that drafted them. It makes for an interesting dynamic in the summer, and I'd argue no teams are at a disadvantage because owners these days aren't like owners of the 80's/90's/early 2000's, save for Ottawa because Eugene Melnyk is a cheap ****. I don't think a team like Nashville would be burdened financially the way they used to be and could go out and sign a big name guy to a hefty contract, same goes for Columbus

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Not unless there are 320 million dollar contracts.

Much less loyalty when that kind of money is being thrown around, just take a look at Pablo Sandoval.

Also, drafting is an absolute crapshoot, and there is no drafting for international players, just a FA period.

To be fair Pablo is a different case. The Giants had the option to extend his contract at the beginning of the year but they chose to threaten him about his weight instead. Then they offered him 5M less than what he was offered elsewhere, the Giants FO is pretty poor.

You're right however, with the size of those contracts you can't compare the two leagues.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
it can happen with a cap but the cap would need to be close to 100 million so we aren't there yet

JS91

May 14, 2014
Not for a while at least. Cap space limits trading a lot and the fact that pretty much every big name player's contract features NTC or NMC limits it even more.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Sometimes I wonder if any NHL players actually really want to win? How bad do they want a cup?

Some players who have completed 2 contracts have already made more money than we can really imagine, $40m - $60m.

I keep hoping and waiting that one offseason 3 or 4 big Free Agents, sort of like Suter and Parise will take discounts to sign together on a team. 5--6m a season instead of 7-8m or something. Even if its only for 2-3 years. Try to win the cup and then go back to making money if they want.

I know the NHLPA would hate the idea, but its not against the rules.

When Kariya and Selanne signed with the Avs, it was pretty exciting. Yes it didn't work out and was a disaster.

The Miami heat are the most recent example and they were a success, could have won more? maybe. If they had all taken a bit less money they could probably have ensured themselves of another star player, making it 3 if not 4 in a row.

Would love to see something like that in Hockey, even if only for a few years.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Sometimes I wonder if any NHL players actually really want to win? How bad do they want a cup?

Some players who have completed 2 contracts have already made more money than we can really imagine, $40m - $60m.

I keep hoping and waiting that one offseason 3 or 4 big Free Agents, sort of like Suter and Parise will take discounts to sign together on a team. 5--6m a season instead of 7-8m or something. Even if its only for 2-3 years. Try to win the cup and then go back to making money if they want.

I know the NHLPA would hate the idea, but its not against the rules.

When Kariya and Selanne signed with the Avs, it was pretty exciting. Yes it didn't work out and was a disaster.

The Miami heat are the most recent example and they were a success, could have won more? maybe. If they had all taken a bit less money they could probably have ensured themselves of another star player, making it 3 if not 4 in a row.

Would love to see something like that in Hockey, even if only for a few years.

Funny everyone tried to crap on Hossa when all he wanted was to chase a cup instead of getting paid.
That being said next time you decide to turn down an extra 2 million a year for 2 or 3 years make sure your wife of girly smacks you in the lips and sets you right.
It's sure easy to ask why doesn't some other guy throw away millions, but if it was you and your money, I doubt you would feel the same.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No.

Holmgren is no longer the GM of the Flyers.

:sarcasm:

Lol....I just came to post the same thing!

Step 1 get rid of the cap.
Step 2 hire Holmgren as GM of Edmonton and tell him he must make that playoffs or is fired.
Step 3 sit back and watch the fireworks.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
It truly would be interesting to see the NHL with no salary cap, to see how many young players continue signing small contracts in order to get to UFA status rather than locking up long-term with the team that drafted them. It makes for an interesting dynamic in the summer, and I'd argue no teams are at a disadvantage because owners these days aren't like owners of the 80's/90's/early 2000's, save for Ottawa because Eugene Melnyk is a cheap ****. I don't think a team like Nashville would be burdened financially the way they used to be and could go out and sign a big name guy to a hefty contract, same goes for Columbus

Owners do have more money, but the issue isn't the amount of money, it's the disparity of money between teams.

Values of teams based off of Forbes:
1. Toronto $1,300,000,000
6. Boston 750,000,000 (half of Toronto)
17. Minnesota 370,000,000 (just under half of Boston's total; a quarter of Toronto's)

There's a huge disparity already between the first and sixth spots.

More importantly, the top 3 each have at least 600 mil more than the bottom 15. Ottawa (16) has 400 mil.

Nashville is 24th with revenues of 1.7 mil, Columbus is 29th with revenues of -6.3

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The cap is certainly a major blockage to lots of trades, but it also seems as if NTC/NMC are give to just about every new contract these days - makes it a lot harder for teams in less than desirable locals to try to make big trades to shake things up

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

I disagree with that entirely. The Leafs, Rangers, and Habs could all spend over $100,000,000 a year and not lose money. Columbus lost $6,000,000 last year. Nashville made $2,000,0000.

Toronto could offer Weber $15,000,000 a year and not think twice about it. Guys like Crosby could hit $20,000,000 a year. Columbus and Nashville can't compete. Hell, a dozen teams can't compete.

The salary cap is saving half the league from getting obliterated. Especially with UFA at 27 now instead of 35.

ZeroPT*

Im not familiar with MLB (trust me, i tried it many times, but always failed :D). Could someone epxlain me, what all happened?

Everything is happening. The San Diego Padres like I said went full video game mode. Traded for a bunch of guys and completely re-vamped their roster in one summer.

So since the cap interferes, which offseason was the craziest

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly adding Bryz, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier and Talbot while trading out Richards, Carter and Versteeg has to be up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad