Will the NBA Finals be more watched than the Stanley Cup Finals this year in Canada?

Will the NBA Finals be more watched in Canada this year than the SC Finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Hockey will always be the runaway #1 sport in Canada both playing and watching-wise but this year could be a bit different. With no Canadian teams in the Cup Finals this year and the Raptors (Canada's only NBA team) finally breaking through by making it to the NBA Finals to take on the GSW dyansty, is it possible that the NBA Finals will end up having a higher viewership in Canada than the SC Finals?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gains

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Yes

I know quite a few people who never watch the NBA who watch this year because the Raptors are in the finals and i'm pretty sure there are many many others too , especially in the Toronto area and Ontario in general.

If one of the Canadian teams was in the stanley cup finals then it would probably be different but since they're all playing golf right now the Raptors are getting more attention than the Bruins - Blues SCF.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've always been a Basketball man, so, I definitely will be watching the finals more than the NHL finals. Props to Boston and St Louis; but IDGAF about those teams.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Yes. I also think that there are more Raps fans than leafs fans in Canada right now, even if many (like myself) are just on the bandwagon.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I’m from Toronto and I’ll tell you nobody gives a damn about the SC finals right now. The rest of Canada is surely the same.

Reactions: varank

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I’m from Toronto and I’ll tell you nobody gives a damn about the SC finals right now. The rest of Canada is surely the same.
From what I've witnessed (as someone living in Greater Toronto), a lot of ppl in the GTA tuned out of the NHL playoffs after the Leafs, along with other trendy teams like the Caps, Pens, Lightning, Vegas, and the other Canadian teams were eliminated

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Not much hockey buzz in Toronto, obviously because the Leafs are out, but there’s noticeably less interest when compared to the past couple years.

I’ll be prioritizing the Raptors, more exciting.

Reactions: flamesforcup

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Might of been even if the Raptors weren't in it.

I’m not sure where to find stats for stuff like this, but I’d be very surprised if viewership for the NBA finals has ever been as high as viewership for the NHL finals in Canada.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
kawhi will get a statue if he leads the Raps over Steph and the Warriors. i mean they just extended Jurrasic Park to 16000 people and extra space in Mississauga and Brampton. no one and i mean no one cares about the SCF right now in Canada

You do realize that the Bruins are very popular in Canada and have a Lot of Canadian fans, right?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Very easily yes. They all rally behind the one Canadian NBA team.

People all across Canada rally behind the Blue Jays, but its not really the same with the Raptors. They don't have any sort of advantage outside the GTA from what I've seen. I guess they might be getting some bandwagoners somewhere, but everyone I know that watch sports are more invested in the SC.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Yes. With the Raptors in the finals, the Stanley Cup final should be pretty irrelevant in Canada as an all-Canadian Stanley Cup final would be in the U.S.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yes. I don't normally follow or watch basketball but I found myself tuning into a few games near the end of the last series. I will probably follow through with watching it play out in the finals.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
But i hate basketball more than the Bruins and Blues . What to do what to do .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad