Will the Lottery be Fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosis

Kinda doubt it but then again the NBA did it. Didnt some guy fix a ping pong ball tv lottery too? Something to do with different balls sizes if I remember right.

Either way, the league has to make sure that it conducts an open for all to see lottery and make damn sure that everyone knows its on the up and up. Even so far as to allow teams to inspect the equipment.

Probably would be overkill and not needed. I really dont think theyd fix it. But why risk it? Cause if the Rangers, Hawks or Kings win the lottery, regardless if it was legit or not, there will be conspiracy theories popping up. Why not kill off any doubt while you can?

Anyone else care to chime in?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it won't be fixed...the league might secretly be wishing that certain teams win, but they aren't going to fix it

Cosis

NYR469 said:
it won't be fixed...the league might secretly be wishing that certain teams win, but they aren't going to fix it

I pretty much agree with that. However, dont you agree it would be in the leagues best interest to prove its not fixed?

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
It might be hard to "fix" it, but there are ways to ensure Crosby goes to the right market. One scenario would be to have a weighted lottery so that only the bottom six teams of last year's standings get a shot at Crosby. Why six? because the Rangers would then be included.

Or another scenario would be to do an average of the last three years, where once again the Rangers would have a shot. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if it was a clear cut runaway winner for the Rangers.

I am betting that Crosby goes to NY, no matter what.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It would be nice to televise the lottery for once. Basketball does it, and it only takes a moment as a throw in as part of some other event. We could barely get info here in Pittsburgh on the radio until quite a bit after the lottery finished.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
As long as he doesnt go to a team that has had a #1 pick in the last decade, Detroit, or Toronto Ill be happy wherever he goes.

Its in their best interest however to rig it so the Hawks win :handclap:

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
It would be nice to televise the lottery for once. Basketball does it, and it only takes a moment as a throw in as part of some other event. We could barely get info here in Pittsburgh on the radio until quite a bit after the lottery finished.

I know, it can be done during an intermission of "Desperate Housewives."

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Cosis said:
Kinda doubt it but then again the NBA did it. Didnt some guy fix a ping pong ball tv lottery too? Something to do with different balls sizes if I remember right.
The rumour in how the NBA did it by the way was 1983 or 84 when Patrick Ewing was the prize they didn't use ping pong balls but large envelopes picked out of a glass bin by hand, the Knicks won the top pick. It has always been suggested that it was fixed because at the time the NBA was in dire straits and needed the pitifull New York franchise to have some kind of lift and what they supposely did was stick the card with the Knicks logo on it in the freezer right before the lottery so when the David Stern or whoever picked the cards out of the bin would know which one belonged to the Knicks with it being VERY cold.

Don't know if it's really true or not but no matter if it is or isn't, it is a clever ruse.

Cosis

Jaded-Fan said:

I agree. They should televise it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Cosis said:
Kinda doubt it but then again the NBA did it.

There was never any concrete evidence that they did it. It has been nothing more than speculation. To speak of it as if it factually happened is misguided.

I'm kinda glad I didn't trust your "sources" earlier. You seem to have a vivid imagination.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
No one cares about hockey. That's why it won't be televised.

Cosis

Vlad The Impaler said:
There was never any concrete evidence that they did it. It has been nothing more than speculation. To speak of it as if it factually happened is misguided.

I'm kinda glad I didn't trust your "sources" earlier. You seem to have a vivid imagination.

Its always been a long running joke in the sports world that the NBA fixed it. Sorry if you didnt get the humor. Regardless, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if the Ewing lottery was fixed. As far as your not trusting something I have been told,*laughs* I could really care less.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Broadway Crosby said:

If they want to hold the draft on TV, it's easy to do. They could combine it with another televised event. It seems to me the NHL awards gala would be the perfect spot.

It's televised, whether people care about hockey or not :D

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
If they want to hold the draft on TV, it's easy to do. They could combine it with another televised event. It seems to me the NHL awards gala would be the perfect spot.

"Now before we announce the winner of the Rocket Richard trophy to the player who probably would have won it this season if there was one, we'll tell you who the Toronto Maple Leaf's select with their 1st overall choice. They select Sydney Crosby." :)

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:

The NBA one is televised during an NBA game, as would the NHL one, on an NHL game on TV, and we all no that there is no such thing as NHL on TV.

jb**

AH said:
It might be hard to "fix" it, but there are ways to ensure Crosby goes to the right market. One scenario would be to have a weighted lottery so that only the bottom six teams of last year's standings get a shot at Crosby. Why six? because the Rangers would then be included.

Or another scenario would be to do an average of the last three years, where once again the Rangers would have a shot. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if it was a clear cut runaway winner for the Rangers.

I am betting that Crosby goes to NY, no matter what.
would not shock me in the least. As we all know, either by hook or crook, he will end up on Phila. however

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I posted this in another thread...

I would be stunned if this weren't partially rigged to get Crosby to one of the big cities -- NYC, CHI, or LA.

Its not fair at all, but I honestly would be surprised if he doesn't end up in one of those places. I don't see any of the high end guys of the union or NHL like Gary have any reason not to do this.

I dunno, maybe I am taking it a little far. But as I said, if they put Crosby in like Washington (where they already have AO) or like Carolina (no offense guys, just not a huge hockey area) I would be shocked. I don't think they'd let it happen.

Cosis

pavel datsyuk said:
The size of their balls has everything to do with it. If the NHL was going to fix the lottery though, i dont think they are going to send out a memo on it.

Funny story.
http://www.newyinzer.com/issue02/n-may.html
Summarized

"The guy was the host of the lottery," my boss says. "He injected the balls with paint and 666 came up, and he and his friends cashed out."

Perry instructed Bock to find, presumably using his art-direction know-how, a subtle, discrete way to weigh the numbered lottery balls down. Bock came up with a system involving—what else?—a hypodermic needle and white, latex paint. With the paint injected into them, the balls were too heavy to be sucked into up by the air-powered lottery machines. Using house-address decals he scored at a stationary store, Bock put together a complete dummy set of balls, which Luman, in his lone moment of glory, switched with the real ones.
After a few tests the group decided, fatefully, to inject all the balls except those marked "4" and "6" with the paint. On the day of the drawing, the brothers Margos and their cronies criss-crossed the state, purchasing lottery tickets in eight different combinations of 4 and 6, buying some $1,413 at one location. As if that weren’t suspicious enough, the Margoses went so far as to place numerous bets on the lottery with bookies.

As soon as the drawing hit the streets, there were doubters. The bookies, tipped off by the unusually high play on the number, announced they weren’t paying. Triple-digit numbers are probably always heavily wagered, but the 666 payout was the largest in Pennsylvania Lottery history: $3.5 million, including some $1.8 million for tickets purchased by the ambitious Margos gang. Eventually, rumors of a fix had reached the press, and on 20 May 1981, Perry and Plevel were sent to jail on charges of criminal mischief, criminal conspiracy, theft by deception, and rigging a public contest. Around the same time, the lottery was moved to Harrisburg, where it still is.

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
Broadway Crosby said:

TSN, Sportsnet and the Score would probably have a week long special about this and all the possibilities of who gets the #1 pick. Included in all this would be hours and hours of footage about Crosby with the odd 15 minutes or so about Brule, etc.

After the lottery all the 3 sports stations would have to have a weeks worth of specials about the lottery and which team drafts which player, etc

And I'd be hooked for the whole thing

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well... It could be fixed. But I doubt it.

There are some interesting possibilities. LA and Crosby would be a nice fit. Similarly, NY, Chicago both have significant markets that would play up to bringing in the "next one"

Phoenix obviously due to the Great One being there.

And even Washington getting Crosby as well to pair with Ovechkin would make an interesting team to market as an up and coming team with a lot of young guns to faceoff against Tampa Bay.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Egghammer said:
TSN, Sportsnet and the Score would probably have a week long special about this and all the possibilities of who gets the #1 pick. Included in all this would be hours and hours of footage about Crosby with the odd 15 minutes or so about Brule, etc.

After the lottery all the 3 sports stations would have to have a weeks worth of specials about the lottery and which team drafts which player, etc

And I'd be hooked for the whole thing
So would I... But I mean the in the US. I'm coming to your house when they do televise it in Canada. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad