Will The Kings Win The Cup?

Degenerate

Feb 5, 2014
Just wanted to get an idea of how many people on here realistically think they'll win it this year. Feel free too elaborate on why you think they will or won't. I'll put a "Not Sure" option if you don't want to make a Yes/No prediction.

Personally, I think they will. They have the talent and the struggles some of these guys have had this season need to be put behind them and kick up their play a notch or 2. Brown, Richards, Doughty....and to a lesser degree Carter near the end of this season.

If they do indeed play well in the playoffs, I think it's fair to say they have more than a good shot at winning the cup. That, combined with Kopitar and Quick doing their jobs is what needs to happen...

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Responding with a "not sure."

The only thing I am nervous about is the potential western conference final matchup and playing Boston in the Finals.

Degenerate

Feb 5, 2014
Responding with a "not sure."

The only thing I am nervous about is the potential western conference final matchup and playing Boston in the Finals.

Yeah, but if they do make it to the WCF, at that point they would have beaten the Sharks and probably the Ducks, proving themselves as the best NHL team in California (huge market here btw, more people living here than the entire country of Canada, google it.) which I think would give them huge momentum to win the whole thing.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I really like this team, but I'm gonna say no. West is too good and getting to the cup is gonna be grueling.

Degenerate

Feb 5, 2014
I really like this team, but I'm gonna say no. West is too good and getting to the cup is gonna be grueling.

Fair enough and a valid point, even the first 2 series are going to be very tough, I kind of hope Dallas upsets Anaheim in the first round, would make the Kings 2nd round easier imo. I guess the Stars are 2-1 vs the Ducks this season, so it's possible.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
in my worthless opinion
They have a chance but at this point less than 10% to win the Cup
I give the Sharks about the same.
Ducks should have an easier first round as well as the Blues or the Avs.
After all that then playing the Bruins (fab in the East) I don't see the Kings steamrolling anyone.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If the team defense keeps pace of what they surrendered during the regular season, the offense produces over 2 goals per game, and Quick is in top form, then yes, I think they can win a Cup. But that is a lot of ifs...

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
in my worthless opinion
They have a chance but at this point less than 10% to win the Cup

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

I give the Sharks about the same.
Ducks should have an easier first round as well as the Blues or the Avs.

Not sure blues have that good a chance anymore.

After all that then playing the Bruins (fab in the East) I don't see the Kings steamrolling anyone.

Yes, the play off will be a challenge, and we will relish them.:yo:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Despite a bumpy finish, LA definitely has all the tools to win it all this year. They just need to find reasonable and steady offensive production and they could go far. The likelihood of ending up against the Bruins at the end of the road seems about as daunting as it gets for anyone in the west though.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
With the addition of Gaborik, this team is better than the one we had in 2012.

Problem is the competition is much better, too.

Will be a tough road, but the Kings have no weaknesses, imo.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
This team is better overall than last year's team, that's for certain. I'd say they have more skill top-to-bottom than our Cup winning team, but not as much "d", even with the Jennings sitting on our collective mantel.

We have the pieces to win it all. That's for damn sure.

KingKopitar11*

If Richards wakes up and tries, we have two very good lines and a good bottom 6

If our defense becomes better and smarter then good.

If we can put a leash on quick so he doesn't flop out too much, then yes.

So I went with not sure.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm going to say 'yes', just to be gutsy.

All the pieces are there. They just need to perform. Kopitar looks fantastic right now and Gaborik and Williams look great right next to him. Beyond that, it depends on what Sutter does with the lines, but as long as we get average contributions from guys like Carter and the guys who have been injured/asleep for most of the year step up in the ways we know they can (Brown/Richards most notably), we're going to be a pain in the ass.

I think it's very telling that even with Doughty out of the lineup, nothing much to play for, and guys that aren't playing up to even close to their capabilities, we were still mostly steamrolling even strength play. The difference between our team and the teams ahead of us in the standings could have been as simple as an even average powerplay. That bodes well to say "the best is yet to come" for these guys. Super excited--even though we undoubtedly have our hands full this year.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If Quick can stay sharp, they will win the Cup.

:stanley:

This.
Quick stays healthy and on his game, there is no goalie better on the planet.
The other key, for me, is Doughty staying healthy. God forbid he goes down, there is NOBODY that can replace him. It's hard to believe at times he's just turned 24 and still developing.
These players, to a man, believe in themselves and have said so , citing that close locker room, and how that faith they have in the player next to them sustains them. You can't put a price on that.
And from how well they've done, in the past 2 years, winning more playoff games than any other team, it's clear that Sutter is motivated them the right way and they have responded time and time again, even last year when they were riddled with injuries from top to bottom, they never quit.
Sutter has done well with his playoff decisions the last 2 years and I have faith in him and this team, if they stay healthy.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I want to say yes. I think on paper this team is stronger than 2012's team. I think this team can go all the way. But you never know with the western conference. It helps that the Blues and Hawks are playing each other in the 1st round, but I feel that all the teams are strong.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
The Kings have as good a chance as anyone. The first round match is a beast of a series but if they can get by that I really like our chances as the blues are hurting the hawks not on their game. Yea the ducks could be tough but their coach seems to struggle in the playoffs so let's see if he can change that GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Sucks to say, but I'm going to say no. The second line is a dumpster fire right now, we get little scoring from our bottom six, and teams will focus on shutting down the Kopi line. In order to get to the cup, the Kings will need to avoid injuries, get MUCH better performances from the likes of Richards, Brown, and Doughty, and stop taking so many minor penalties. It could happen, but I think the likelihood is very low.

The lineup I would go with is as follows:

Gaborik-Kopi-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Williams
King-Richards/Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Stoll/Richards-Nolan

Toffoli is wasted on the fourth line, Williams hasn't been great recently on the top line, and I'd move Williams to the second line to try and spark something on that line.

Carter is currently our best option at second line center. I think giving him two rookies is a little much, and Williams can dig pucks out of the corner for him

Hopefully we don't see any crap like this on the second line:

Nolan/Lewis-Richards-Carter

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think they have a good chance of getting to the finals. The west seems to falling into place for them.

Blues are falling apart.
The Hawks aren't the same.
Anaheim is a Brodreau coached team.
The Sharks are the Sharks.

IF Doughty is healthy, I like our chances to come out of the West.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
So long as Chicago is out in Round 1 or 2, I like the Kings chances. ANA is going to be a tough out though even if the Kings get out of Round 1.

Ron*

Sucks to say, but I'm going to say no. The second line is a dumpster fire right now, we get little scoring from our bottom six, and teams will focus on shutting down the Kopi line. In order to get to the cup, the Kings will need to avoid injuries, get MUCH better performances from the likes of Richards, Brown, and Doughty, and stop taking so many minor penalties. It could happen, but I think the likelihood is very low.

The lineup I would go with is as follows:

Gaborik-Kopi-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Williams
King-Richards/Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Stoll/Richards-Nolan

Toffoli is wasted on the fourth line, Williams hasn't been great recently on the top line, and I'd move Williams to the second line to try and spark something on that line.

Carter is currently our best option at second line center. I think giving him two rookies is a little much, and Williams can dig pucks out of the corner for him

Hopefully we don't see any crap like this on the second line:

Nolan/Lewis-Richards-Carter

Heretic. Didn't even bother to read this crap after you said "no."

Ron*

So long as Chicago is out in Round 1 or 2, I like the Kings chances. ANA is going to be a tough out though even if the Kings get out of Round 1.

I think St. Louis is, unfortunately, toast. That team is beaten. I don't think they have the intestinal fortitude inside (say, as maybe the Kings do) to overcome the lack of confidence they have shown in their game and in themselves that past two weeks.

But I agree with you, Chicago has to be dispatched in some manner. Hopefully by Colorado in the second round.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
But I agree with you, Chicago has to be dispatched in some manner. Hopefully by Colorado in the second round.

Chicago isn't the same team as the were last year. They're coming off a cup win, and they're wore out. The last time they came off a cup win they didn't even make it past the first round.

They did beat us a lot this year, but each time they faced us, they were either catching us during a slump, or we were on a back-to-back.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings just don't match-up well with Chicago, it has nothing to do with playing a tough series with the Blues or Mitchell being hurt, or Richards being hurt or the Kings slumping or on a back to back. Their style of play, in particular the speed that their defenders get the puck out and their speed to the outside just gives us huge fits, and many of their scorers just have Quick's number where he is in the heads of many Blues and Sharks.

I'll be rooting for St. Louis in that series, but Chicago is the massive favorite. They have much more skill up front, I think it's fair to say Chicago's four best forwards are all better than STL's best forward, they have an elite defender in Keith capable of playing half the game and matching one of the Blues big weapons in Petro and most importantly they are battle tested and proven where the Blues have shown up small in the last two playoff years.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Blues being much of a threat to Chicago, I think Colorado could give them a series though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad