Will the Kings make the playoffs?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This really is the most problematic the organization has been since the 2006-2008 era Kings, and those Kings had to tear down in order to rebuild.

They are playing like a team badly in need of a coaching change.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I voted no,

As of right now with no Quick, and under-performing Star players, the Kings are not going to win very many games.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings had a wonderful 3 year run. But that was built on the backs of three Hall of Fame caliber players in their primes. In addition to that we had insane secondary and complementary players in Carter, Brown, Voynov, Williams, Mitchell, Gaborik (2014), Richards (2012). We added youth in 2012 that added grit and energy in Nolan and King and youth in 2014 that added second line scoring in Toffoli and Pearson.

Many of those key secondary and complementary players are gone or playing at a significantly lower level and we have no youth to add that's going to make any kind of difference this year because we have traded so many picks in foolish rental deals.

The fact is, the Kings are just stagnant. Same GM for 11 years, same coach for six, assistants have all been here atleast 4 years (with Stevens and Ranford even longer).

Brown- 14 seasons
Kopitar- 11 seasons
Doughty- 9 seasons
Greene- 9 seasons
Quick- 9 seaspns
Lewis - 9 seasons (7 full)
Martinez- 8 seasons (7 full)
Clifford- 7 seasons
King- 7 seasons (6 full)
Nolan- 7 seasons (6 full)
Muzzin- 6 seasons (5 full)

Some of these are fine, but some of these are beyond laughable, 11 players with 6 or more seasons with the franchise?

For comparison...

Pittsburgh 5 (Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, Fleury)
Chicago 8 (Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Toews, Hjalmarsson, Crawford, Kruger, Hossa)
Washington 7 (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Beagle, Carlson, Holtby, Alzner)
Minnesota 2 (Koivu, Spurgeon)
San Jose 7 (Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic, Couture, Braun)

The Kings need fresh blood and ideas on the ice, behind the bench and upstairs. We need to do what Pittsburgh did.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
At 17-26-15, that's currently the 5th worst regulation record in the league. Only ahead of Colorado, Arizona, Detroit, and Vancouver in points%.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think Forbort, Gravel, and LaDue will all be good additions. Dowd is solid. Wish he had better wingers. Kempe looks nervous and needs to add muscle imho.

Not sure why people keep pumping Dowd's tires. He's being absolutely crushed at even strength. If it weren't for his power play stats, there would be a good case to sit Dowd as the 13th forward. Nick Shore has been arguably better offensively and isn't a liability defensively.

One of the Kings major problems all season has been the third line. If Dowd cannot improve by the end of the season, the Kings need to find a better 3rd line centerman or promote Amadio next season.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Not sure why people keep pumping Dowd's tires. He's being absolutely crushed at even strength. If it weren't for his power play stats, there would be a good case to sit Dowd as the 13th forward. Nick Shore has been arguably better offensively and isn't a liability defensively.

One of the Kings major problems all season has been the third line. If Dowd cannot improve by the end of the season, the Kings need to find a better 3rd line centerman or promote Amadio next season.

I actually like him quite a bit. I think he is creative and has a better offensive mind than Shore.

He's not lighting the world on fire but I think he has potential to break out.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't see it happening this year. Basically the Kings' path to the playoffs is through Calgary, and I don't see them beating Calgary in the 4 game series they play end of the year. Whenever the Kings play Calgary, they basically live in Calgary's zone for half the game without the number of goals they deserve, but Calgary manages to get a breakaway or an odd man rush and take the lead. I don't see Budaj having the skill level to save us during those breakaways or odd man rushes for us to have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad