Will the Kings make the playoffs?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just for funsies.

I'm going to say they make the playoffs as Pacific #3 and win a round because I'm a wide-eyed optimist and because this whiskey is delicious. They take out the Oilers, and lose to the Sharks.

Thoughts?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'm gonna say yes, not because the Kings will go on a tear or anything, but because the other teams battling for the spot will suck the same, if not more.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I've said no since before the season started. Gonna stick to it.

They finish fifth behind Calgary.

Also every other pacific team ends up going to OT against each other.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With the last 14 games to close out the season on the schedule, I'll say an apprehensive 1st round and out. It's more the hope of being a fan than anything they've done to instill any confidence over the last 226 games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Voted 'yes" but "one and done" in the first round....I'd have voted "no" except for the fact that teams around them in the Pacific, flat out suck, and the Kings still have a lot of division games left.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm leaning towards not sure, because if Quick returns and his healthy, I think their chances improve. As things stand as it is, I don't have as much confidence.

And no, this team can't be compared to 2012 or 2014. Or even 2016.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Lombardi is going to trade for some overpriced vet, Kings will stumble into the playoffs as the 8 seed and quickly lose. Bleh. The dreaded black hole.

Last edited:

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I'm really not sure. They're not that mental tough team from the past, they have a lousy record entering the third period when they are down. Our forward depth has taken a dip, Dean is not going to go after a big name and I don't want him to, so this team is going to ride who they got. I think it might be too late when Quick returns, he would need couple of games to adjust. Our goaltending might be better at the end but our offense will stay the same. Everyone is so close in the standings so I won't be surprised if they make it or not. If they make it though they are definelty first round exit....which imo would be better if we didn't. I don't know I'm conflicted.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm leaning towards not sure, because if Quick returns and his healthy, I think their chances improve. As things stand as it is, I don't have as much confidence.

And no, this team can't be compared to 2012 or 2014. Or even 2016.

In what way do you mean?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In what way do you mean?

You want me to list all the missing players from those teams and how much worse Kopitar is performing? How can you not notice it? He's inferior to those versions of Kopitar. I'd lump Doughty and Toffoli in there as well. They're not as good as they were in previous years.

Muzzin and Martinez are liabilities, as well as McNabb. The special teams is crap. Look at their number of regulation wins versus losses. I think you get the idea.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think they'll make it as a wild card team and probably draw Chicago and lose in the 1st round. I'm not giving up hope on this season. I think IF they end the season on a good stretch of games, they could catch some teams by surprise. I'm not saying that will happen, but a lot of things have to go right which I don't think is out of the realm of possibility.

I truly believe this is a good team who has had a bunch of players under performing and are missing their #1 goalie. We all saw with the Penguins last year that you need to play your best hockey at the right time. I don't think this will happen as they have been way too inconsistent this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make something happen.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think they'll make it as a wild card team and probably draw Chicago and lose in the 1st round. I'm not giving up hope on this season. I think IF they end the season on a good stretch of games, they could catch some teams by surprise. I'm not saying that will happen, but a lot of things have to go right which I don't think is out of the realm of possibility.

I truly believe this is a good team who has had a bunch of players under performing and are missing their #1 goalie. We all saw with the Penguins last year that you need to play your best hockey at the right time. I don't think this will happen as they have been way too inconsistent this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make something happen.

If the Kings are the WC, they would not draw Chicago, they would draw one of the 2 division winners Minnesota or what should be San Jose, but the Oilers are only 4 pts back
But it wouldn't be the Hawks.

And the Pens did play their best hockey in the 2nd half ,but it was due to a new coach, new system (December) and getting the 2 fastest players (bonino, haglin) at the deadline and putting Kessel with them to make a 3rd line speed line that no team could match.
The Kings can't do any of that.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If the Kings are the WC, they would not draw Chicago, they would draw one of the 2 division winners Minnesota or what should be San Jose, but the Oilers are only 4 pts back
But it wouldn't be the Hawks.

And the Pens did play their best hockey in the 2nd half ,but it was due to a new coach, new system (December) and getting the 2 fastest players (bonino, haglin) at the deadline and putting Kessel with them to make a 3rd line speed line that no team could match.
The Kings can't do any of that.

I thought the Hawks were in first. Didn't realize Minnesota had that large of a lead so you would be correct.

And you do make a good point, but I think this team on paper can still do damage as it sits. Just need a lot more from players and coaches. I'm trying to emphasize that I don't think they will do any damage, but there is a small chance. I'm probably one of the who few posters who has at least some optimism

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I just don't see it. They're going to have to go on a ridiculous tear. If Sutter gets fired and replaced, maybe...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You want me to list all the missing players from those teams and how much worse Kopitar is performing? How can you not notice it? He's inferior to those versions of Kopitar. I'd lump Doughty and Toffoli in there as well. They're not as good as they were in previous years.

Muzzin and Martinez are liabilities, as well as McNabb. The special teams is crap. Look at their number of regulation wins versus losses. I think you get the idea.

Gotcha.

I'm not saying there's a direct comparison at all, I'm saying exactly what you are in a way, this team is different and has been retooled a bit on the go. I like the defense more than any squad we've had since 2012. The offense SHOULD be decent on paper but it's struggling. The difference is I think we figure it out.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't think Quick will make it back in time to salvage the season, and hopefully Lombardi won't mortgage the future anymore than he has. Other teams will be buyers and push the Kings out.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
So, I guess we can all agree that if by some miracle the Kings get to the Cup Finals, they're not going to lose. ;)

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I think the Kings make it, but no idea how they do once in. Most likely out early (I voted 2nd round), but if they were to get hot, with a hot JQ, anything can happen with this team. Always have my fingers crossed.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I say yes and they win their and our third cup, why because that's why we watch sports to have a team that wins it all kinda of like 12, only one or two talking heads picks us as DH and we win the first round against the best regular season coach ever, the second against a hawk team that doesn't.t intimidate us and the WCF for the dagger in Jumbo and patty.s heart for the last time , the east has good teams but none that are so good that with the confidence we have now we can't beat them in a seven game series"..........we need quickie for this of course"......... The yanks were 14 games out in 77 at the end of August, the mets were 7 games behind the cubbies in 69 , the patriots , well we all saw that crap, the point is it's sports anything can and will happen so stop pointing out the obvious reasons we sux , I have paid thousands the last couple of years to witness it personally and start believing , we need the positive juju

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This team is nothing like the 2012 or 2014 teams.

If they make, and it's a big if, they are one and done in probably five games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad