Will the Jets win the president’s trophy

Will jets win the president’s trophy this year

• Total voters

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The one trophy nobody should care about winning.

In the last 10 seasons, only 1 team has won the President's Trophy and the Stanley Cup.

The Jets defeated the President's Trophy winner last season. Ask Nashville how much winning that trophy means today. ;)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
No.

Would love to see it happen, but last year everything came together. Hellebuyck finally emerged as the elite goalie he has been capable of. No significant injuries. Picked up Stastny at the deadline, and went on to cruise through the last 20 games of the year.

In 2018-19, I expect the Jets to make the playoffs, but we will have to have luck to repeat the season that we had. That includes Hellebuyck continuing his excellent play, and most of all, not getting injured. At defense, we will ahve to pray for no significant injuries (i.e. Myers, etc). It would really be a shot in the arm, if Niku can make the roster, and be the #2 LHD.

As far as offense, we are in a much better position, but if Scheifele or Wheeler were to get hurt, we may be in a bit of a bond (especially with Scheifele). However, it is of lesser concern, as the Jets have the best depth in the league for offense.

I say top 3 if we stay healthy and Helle plays well. I played it safe, and chose not in top 4.

My prediction: 2nd in Central.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The one trophy nobody should care about winning.

In the last 10 seasons, only 1 team has won the President's Trophy and the Stanley Cup.

The Jets defeated the President's Trophy winner last season. Ask Nashville how much winning that trophy means today. ;)

^Bingo

Pittsburgh would be a great example of winning the Stanley Cup, despite not winning any Presidents Trophies, and sometimes not winning their division. In all 6 of the Penguins Stanley Cup appearances, they never won came in #1 overall. Ironically, the only year they easily won the Presidents Trophy (1992-93), they lost in the Second round.

Detroit routinely contended for the Presidents Trophy for 20 years, winning the Trophy six times. They were 2 for 6 when coming in #1 overall. It seemed when the Wings took their foot off the gas pedal in the late 90s/early 2000s, they did better in the playoffs. 1997 and 98 would be good examples. Even the Washington Capitals, who arguably have the best record in the last 10 seasons, only managed to win the Cup after failing at it for two seasons where they won the Presidents Trophy.

In the history of the Presidents Trophy, the winner of the award has gone on to win the Stanley Cup 8 times out of a possible 32 attempts, for a success rate of 25%. This is better than the odds for each team in a 31 team league (3.2%), but not impressive.

Reactions: purdy44 and cbcwpg

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Its time for the President trophy winner to win the cup.

Your Winnipeg Jets

Pkus coach of the year
GM of the year
Rocket richard
Vezina

Yes!

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I hope so.. yes I know it’s not The Stanley Cup... and Yes I know there are a lot of teams that won the Presidents Trophy who got never won The Cup.. but’s one heck of an achievement.. and let’s be honest Jets 1.0 (NHL) and Jets 2.0 combined have zero banners in the rafters... let’s get some winning banners up there this season... perhaps 4....Presidents, Central, Western conference, and freaking Stanley Cup!

Reactions: 1stDan

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I'd rather they save some gas in the tank for the Conference Finals.

boanst

May 25, 2013
I dont care about that trophy or that banner, but it means we win the division and that's good no matter what.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Teams that finish very high in the standings in the regular season and then go on to not win the Stanley Cup actually almost always finish lower in the standings the next season because they perceive part of the playoff exit to be caused by physic exhaustion.

This is why the only cases of back to back Presidents' Trophy winners also won the Stanley Cup in the playoffs the first season.

Thus I expect the Jets to get off to a slow start and finish in the first wildcard spot.

None of the above is true. It's all lies.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would trade 40,000 presidents trophies for 1 cup. That is all I have to say about the presidents trophy.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd be bappy if they make the playoffs healthy.

You have to like the Jets depth. Having players like Veselainen, Niku, Lemieux on the fringe, and lots of young talent I think helps work through the grind of a season. Depth allows players to step up with injury. That's character. Everybody's buying in to Maurice, our coaching staff seems to have a solid game plan, at last. As opposed to the days of Noel soundbytes.

Biggest question is in net. Mason came here because it was a question. Hellebuyck gets the ball this year. Can he repeat? And stay healthy. Can't emphasize this aspect enough, as injuries to Crawford, Mike Smith and Bishop hampered their team's performance last year.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
You have to like the Jets depth. Having players like Veselainen, Niku, Lemieux on the fringe, and lots of young talent I think helps work through the grind of a season. Depth allows players to step up with injury. That's character. Everybody's buying in to Maurice, our coaching staff seems to have a solid game plan, at last. As opposed to the days of Noel soundbytes.

Biggest question is in net. Mason came here because it was a question. Hellebuyck gets the ball this year. Can he repeat? And stay healthy. Can't emphasize this aspect enough, as injuries to Crawford, Mike Smith and Bishop hampered their team's performance last year.
The Jets can have all the depth in the world and it won't matter as long as PoMo rides the first line waaaay too much, as he did last season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would love the Jets to win the presidents trophy for one reason only , home ice advantage throughout the entire playoffs and the Stanley cup finals .

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If we were in any division other than the central division, I think we'd have a pretty solid chance. Right now, I place our chances at 15-20% to win the presidents trophy, 50% for top 3 and 75% for top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad