Will the Flyers make the playoffs in 2014?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I think the consensus is that the Flyers will rebuild through the draft etc.. and make the playoffs next year. I do not see it.

Even if they draft Jones and even if he makes the team next year, he is not going to be an impactful player for them as a rookie. Similarly, it is unrealistic to assume that if they somehow sign Sustr that he will be an asset as a rookie. Also, bear in mind that Timonen is only getting older. On the free agent front, it is hard to see a player that is really to going to help them.

The Flyers are right now healthy and still look pretty bad. I do not see things changing next year, unless Laviolette is fired and they put in a new system. If Lavi is still coaching next year I do not see why the results would be any different.

Thoughts?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It's an extremely deep club in terms of forwards. As well, the defense (on paper) isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. The problem is the coaching - Laviolette is trying to utilize a system that he doesn't have the personnel to run. They need to be a more defensive oriented club and he's got them playing run and gun hockey.

The moment Laviolette gets replaced and they bring in a coach that's going to stress defensive responsibility, things will change. I don't think a big blow up will be required to get things back on track.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the consensus is that the Flyers will rebuild through the draft etc.. and make the playoffs next year. I do not see it.

Even if they draft Jones and even if he makes the team next year, he is not going to be an impactful player for them as a rookie. Similarly, it is unrealistic to assume that if they somehow sign Sustr that he will be an asset as a rookie. Also, bear in mind that Timonen is only getting older. On the free agent front, it is hard to see a player that is really to going to help them.

The Flyers are right now healthy and still look pretty bad. I do not see things changing next year, unless Laviolette is fired and they put in a new system. If Lavi is still coaching next year I do not see why the results would be any different.

Thoughts?

I think this team is a playoff team on paper. If everybody was playing up to their abilities we would be in the playoff picture right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Way to early to say. A lot can change in this league pretty quick.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
It's an extremely deep club in terms of forwards. As well, the defense (on paper) isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. The problem is the coaching - Laviolette is trying to utilize a system that he doesn't have the personnel to run. They need to be a more defensive oriented club and he's got them playing run and gun hockey.

The moment Laviolette gets replaced and they bring in a coach that's going to stress defensive responsibility, things will change. I don't think a big blow up will be required to get things back on track.

this is my conclusion. this team is well built. its just not being led in the right direction. it don't look like it, but were right there.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Look at the clubs in the playoffs now, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Montreal. Do those teams have significantly more talented rosters?

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I'd say yes. There is talent on the roster and a lot of it is young. A lot of the guys we're counting on still have room to get better, and the guys that are older are probably not going to fall off a cliff in terms of production. I know Kimmo is near the end, but I think he's still got some gas left in the tank.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
you should have made this a poll

vote yes. no comparison to the 07 team. this team is way way better than that 07 mess. when the new coach is in place, this is gonna be like the 2011-2012 team talent wise. and used properly this team with the new draft picks from 13 is gonna be flat out lethal. as for goalies, chicago spent 3.5M on their 2 starters and it worked out well for them.well regular season anyways. its not a must to have a clear cut starting goalie. i would go cheaper in goalies, get 2 guys that get along well. and develop a system where the goalie gets a nice amount of support. and be shocked at the numbers they put up. something crazy a combined 2.35 gaa, .919 save %.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
If they do not wait until the offseason to replace Lavi but install a new Coach and system asap to give the players some time to adjust before the next season kicks in, I see them making the playoffs.

The gaping hole in defense, i.e. transitional game, will remain an issue unless they actually get Seth Jones and he puts up a Couturier-esque rookie season or Homer finds a way to fool any other GM in a deal for a player like Bogosian.

seanerixon

Way too early to speculate. I'm sure we ALL know, a team can rapidly change course in what almost seems overnight sometimes. In fact, the face of the franchise could even change overnight. We don't know what the roster is going to look like next season, or what's going on at all, for that matter.

But I'll play to your tune. Seeing as it's a 50/50 question/answer. They will make the playoffs, they will not. I'm wishfully saying they will.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
A couple of things have to change if this team is going to get into a playoff spot next year.

First, the coaching staff either needs to adjust to a more conservative system, or they need to go. The personnel that they currently have just can't thrive under Lavy's run and gun system. A simpler game plan would go a long way in cutting down on the ridiculous amount of turnovers and bad decisions.

Bryz needs to play better, point blank. He just hasn't gotten it done consistently enough since he's been in Philadelphia for the team to succeed. Part of that is the coaching style exposing him, but he's also been a far cry from the top ten goalie the Flyers thought they were getting.

Last edited by a moderator:

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
With the talent they have, there is no reason why they should be this bad this year. Yes, they've had injuries, but they've also played like crap for 90% of the games this year. They are an offensive team that just doesn't score, which is not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad