Speculation: Will the flat cap help Seattle sign big UFAs?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
There's no point in trying to win right away with big name free agents. If they're smart they take on cap dumps with high draft picks or good prospects attached. Not longterm cap hits either like Skinner or Vlasic but shorter ones like Lucic, Eriksson, Johnson, Ladd, Neal etc.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think the immediate success of Vegas helps the most. Previous 90's & 00's expansion teams were usually the sort you wanted to avoid. Vegas almost instantly became one of the most desirable teams.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There's no point in trying to win right away with big name free agents. If they're smart they take on cap dumps with high draft picks or good prospects attached. Not longterm cap hits either like Skinner or Vlasic but shorter ones like Lucic, Eriksson, Johnson, Ladd, Neal etc.

Well for the Canucks as an example I'm sure they would take Eriksson's 3m real salary 6m cap hit for 2 2nds or Ferland's 3.5m LTIR contract for one 2nd. Something along those lines, but the price goes up the bigger the favor.

Or both contracts for 3 2nds. :naughty:

Of course, Ottawa might offer to take some of that for cheaper in a sort of reverse bidding war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad