Will the fans come back this year

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I did NOT renew my season tickets; called it quits after 17 years as a STH. I plan to watch the games on tv, and attend the occasional game.
I think Nelli's story is not unique at least in London. I'm pretty sure they have exhausted the entire waiting list. Heck I got emails after we had taken our offer practically begging people to buy season tickets..
I think if we see 9000 this year it will be like the teddy toss and rivalry games like v Kitchener.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
I think Nelli's story is not unique at least in London. I'm pretty sure they have exhausted the entire waiting list. Heck I got emails after we had taken our offer practically begging people to buy season tickets..
I think if we see 9000 this year it will be like the teddy toss and rivalry games like v Kitchener.
No ones buying season tickets in london because look at your roster lol

• Haha
Reactions: sbpointer

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I only renewed my tickets this year because I still had a credit from the fan-less games last year. It's expensive. Pair that with everything else being expensive these days, I can't imagine the average fan to use their disposable income on a hockey game. I am one of many Rangers fans that live in London (after being here 7 years, im surprised how many of us there are!) so driving to KW every Friday adds up. At the height of gas prices, I was pretty much paying for another ticket in gas. I think you will see some aggressive marketing and ticket package deals this season across the OHL to get butts in seats.

As for Kitchener, I could see a handful of games above 6k, but I don't expect sell outs unless this team goes on a run.

Now more than ever, teams have to produce to expect any in person support.

Reactions: three dog night

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
From the other side of the border...

Attendance wasn't awful in Erie and season tickets remained very favorable. Just over $400 a ticket for 34 games + preseason and perks. The price dropped significantly from pre-covid.

There were very few restrictions but early in the season last year attendance looked good. Going into this season with Spence, if he lives up to his hype stands should be pretty decent.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
I think most teams will see a decrease in attendance. Some fans have simply lost interest after a season with no OHL hockey followed by a season with restrictions. Then of course you have the economy - everything is so expensive now that most families have to make cuts. Here in Niagara, I think its going to be especially hard after finishing at the bottom of the standings for the past two seasons, the texting scandal and now new ownership which many fans are not overly confident with.

Reactions: three dog night

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I would love to return, especially in a likely contending season for my team, but after attending a few games post-mask mandate being lifted, I simply don't feel safe being at games and will pick and choose carefully when I go and where I sit, if at all.

If the vax passport and mask mandate were back in line for small, crowded places like the Bayshore (especially with no ventilation to speak of), I'd feel differently.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I can't speak for every fan base but I think will see a more consistent crowds this season then the past few years with restrictions.

Like most places who have junior hockey fanbases it really depends on the market they're in. In Owen Sound we should see decent crowds to start the season and depending upon how things shake out we should see crowds climb back up to pre-pandemic levels.

On average the team typically draws 2,800-3,400 attendees on a normal basis so whe should see a fair bit more attendees this season compared to last season that should meet around those targets.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'll agree that the interest in actually wanting to go to games has dropped significantly for me personally. I just do not enjoy it like I used to. Maybe it's the way the game has changed over the years and the fact that the OHL is simply just not as entertaining as it used to be. Or maybe it's the $30+ ticket price to watch junior hockey. Either way, I've notice that I am definitely not alone as the games I did attend last year (including some in London/Kitchener), had the same atmosphere and lack of interest as games in Sarnia.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
I'll agree that the interest in actually wanting to go to games has dropped significantly for me personally. I just do not enjoy it like I used to. Maybe it's the way the game has changed over the years and the fact that the OHL is simply just not as entertaining as it used to be. Or maybe it's the $30+ ticket price to watch junior hockey. Either way, I've notice that I am definitely not alone as the games I did attend last year (including some in London/Kitchener), had the same atmosphere and lack of interest as games in Sarnia.
I agree games are not as fun to watch anymore.

I know I said it before but wasn’t 2010 a lot better? Like what changed? The boys were men then.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The league penalizes physicality far more now which doesn't help, having an enforcer on your team is a detriment
Having opposing enforcers square off then sit in the penalty box adds little more than the number of concussions among adolescents while taking away a roster spot of a kid that can play hockey.
Good ole do it all power forwards including being the leagues top fighter like Tocchet, or even Marcus Foligno that turned the ability to deliver bone crushing hits into goals for through opposition panic turn overs; I miss that.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The league penalizes physicality far more now which doesn't help, having an enforcer on your team is a detriment
The league is all about skill sets now for the most part.

I still believe that you need players who will do "grunt work" on your roster but that doesn't necessarily mean fight a guy everytime. More can the player fore-check the puck carriers and turnover pucks, or be an player who can get under other players skin. The days of the big enforcer types are behind us now for the most part, you might see the odd fight here or there during a a season but as for the old ways now to have an enforcer type guy would more hurt teams chances to win then it benefit.

Now that's not saying you shouldn't have players stand up for other players on teams but in those cases it would be rare. I still believe that check to the head and from behind penalties are one that the OHL would like to see gone from the league, and I've always stood by that old philosophy that I would rather see kids fight then get hit from behind where they have no warning or ability to protect themselves from concussive situations.

But we could debate that in circles forever. To sum up I think there are times where you need a player who can be on the edge when the play warrants it but you also need to be able to walk that fine line between skill and the ability to protect younger less experienced players in high pressure situations.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I honestly do feel if the league vastly reduces the cost of beer, you'd see attendance go up, at least in Hamilton anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad