Will the Cubs make the playoffs in 2016?

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
If you say yes obviously, it may not be so simple. They've done back-to-back postseason appearances once since 1908. They play in the toughest division in baseball. It was obvious the Nats were gonna win the WS and they didn't even make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Once they solidify their rotation with David Price? Of course.

Realistically even without a huge signing I think they do.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If you say yes obviously, it may not be so simple. They've done it once since 1908. They play in the toughest division in baseball. It was obvious the Nats were gonna win the WS and they didn't even make the playoffs.

That's back-to-back postseason appearances? That's pretty remarkable.

Despite the competitive nature of that division, I think this Cubs team will certainly be in the thick of it next year. Just the fact that they have so many good young position players who will be maturing and improving together makes me think they can reach the bar they have set for themselves this year. If they get another great starter in the mix, even more so.

I've been thinking about how this team stands in sharp contrast to that 2003 team. That team clearly had a fabulous rotation, but their lineup was mostly vets who came together at the right time. The present Cubs team I think will be a contender for some time.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It seems likely especially given that they have money to make a big free agent signing. I think the certainty of the answer one gives to this question depends on how good you think the non-division winners will be in the NL again. The NL central will be another dogfight, and I don't think all three teams will manage 95, 96+ wins again, but I could see the two non-central division winners being better than all the other non-division winners again.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Think the Giants and Cardinals will win their divisions. Have to fight it out for one of the wild cards.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't think they have a ton of money tied up in their young core do they? they should have the money to go out and sign some pitching in the offseason to help with the pitching depth. Really doesn't have to be David Price. Even tho it would be a good fit and it would make sense since he liked playing for Maddon.
they also have the bats to make a trade with the insane depth they have with all the young hitters in that lineup.
I think they have a good shot as anyone to make the playoffs next year even if one or 2 of those young guys in that line up take a step back offensively

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
With the nature of their division, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Arrieta will come down to earth, but that doesn't mean he will suck. If they get another top of the line starter and their young guys don't take giant steps backward I think they'll make it.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Baseball is just such a weird sport where one year you're awesome and the next you can't figure it out. I hope he can continue to be an ace because he would solidify that rotation.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think they make it. I felt they did overachieve a tad but with the experience now and perhaps adding a guy like Zimmerman this winter which many seem to think they will I see no reason they won't be near 95 wins again. Pittsburgh is the team I felt overachieved and had a ton go right, to me it felt like this was their year and if they did not get it done they were going to need to patch things up to get to the WS. I just think getting that much out of Kang, Liriano, Happ, and Burnett and their bullpen is something that won't come around again in 2016 and obviously Burnett is now gone. Bullpens just do not have back to back years that good, look at KC this year, their pen was about a full run higher on ERA than 2014 and their pen may be the best in modern ML history.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yes

it's scary how young the studs on that team are. they're going to be good for a long time

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It depends on how they continue to improve and how the rest of the nl improves in the offseason. As of now, I think they have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad