Will the 2020 Stanley Cup have an asterisk next to it?

Will the 2020 Stanley Cup have an asterisk next to it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I guess not, but still not wanting my team to win it this year. I would feel differently if my team had already won. As a fan of a team who has never won, I don’t want their first one to be in front of an empty arena with no fans.

If these playoffs actually happen then I’ll be rooting for a good showing but will be totally happy with them bowing out whenever. Only losing the “qualifying” round would tick me off.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Everyone will be playing under the same conditions. I don't really understand the need for an asterisk.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Everyone will be playing under the same conditions. I don't really understand the need for an asterisk.

People know Habs are going to win, and embarrass a bunch of teams in the process - and so they're protecting themselves ahead of time with excuses.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
No asterisk, especially if one of my teams win, but I won't lie it will always have a certain...flavour...to it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
All of the bold is irrelevant to players legacies and what they work to achieve on a personal/team level. The players dont give a shit if any of us get up or not, they play to win the cup and be a part of history, to be remembered as champions. They might tow the company line and feed us some stuff about civic pride and community, but it's not the first priority. You staying in bed doesnt affect their goals. Auston Matthews doesnt practice his wrist shot only because he wants you to stand up and cheer. Like...haha.... "oh, I was gonna take 200 shots today, but Big Phil isnt interested so I guess I'll mail it in too..." :laugh:

This crazy talk about putting an asterix there, that takes away from what they worked hard to achieve.

You make it sound like your presence in front of the TV is what matters when determining whether players earned a cup or not. Your entertainment is a by-product of their job, not the other way around.

Players feed off the fans. They like that there are fans there because it seems as if they are doing something relevant. They feed off the crowd noise, the home crowd, the opponent's crowd, etc. This is what the players say.

I just can't believe the standards of entertainment have dropped so significantly in the last 4 months. You'd have locked me up if I told you back in February that the Stanley Cup playoffs would be played this way, and you'd have been right. Honestly, we have to ensure this is NOT the new normal in our world.

I honestly don't take any fan seriously if they say they'd rather their team doesn't win this year.

For fans of teams that haven't won one in the last 20-30 years, we will take anything we can get.

For fans of teams that have won more recently, they'll be fine winning another as well.

Winning the Cup might be slightly less fun without your fans in the arena, but that won't make it not fun at all. There's still sports bars if you want the environment or watch with friends, etc.

What sports bars? They aren't open yet in Ontario except for outdoor patios. By the way not all of us will "take anything we can get".

The worst atmosphere, can't get up for it or excited. You mention it being depressing and that you don't even want the team you cheer for to win.

So I take it you won't be watching?

If it ever gets off the ground, we could be on vacation in August, gone away. Or hitting the beach. This is summer stuff, we aren't expecting to watch the NHL playoffs this way.

And no, it would not feel the same if the Leafs win. I go my whole life without seeing my team win a Cup and this is the time it happens? No thanks.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
No, I don't understand this sentiment. If anything it's harder than it has been in the past.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
It’s not because it’s a level playing field. Everyone gets the same break and accommodations since the season was suspended.

I can see if it’s an asterisk if the teams ranked 20th or lower in the league somehow won the title because they literally should not even BE in the playoffs due to their record.

It’s almost like they got a second chance at life for absolutely no reason at all, whereas the top 16-20 teams worked all season towards EARNING a spot to play in the playoffs.

I can understand teams that were in the playoff race being allowed a chance to play, but teams like Montreal and Chicago do not belong in the playoffs. If they somehow win? You can then call it an asterisk

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
No, if anything, it's going to be one of the hardest to win. The only asterik I can see is if the 10th-12th seed teams win.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No, if anything, it's going to be one of the hardest to win. The only asterik I can see is if the 10th-12th seed teams win.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it "hardest" to win. The lack of interest and poor television ratings if this thing actually does get off the ground will be wince-inducing. I am a life long hockey fan and do I stop going to the beach on one of the few remaining hot days in August or September because of playoff hockey that has the atmosphere of a damp washcloth? No, I don't. And others won't either to the point where it is almost embarrassing to see what the results will be. Hockey players want to know the fans care. But to play for the most coveted trophy in hockey in empty stadiums? It just isn't the same. Will the players honestly be into it?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Yeah, I wouldn't call it "hardest" to win. The lack of interest and poor television ratings if this thing actually does get off the ground will be wince-inducing. I am a life long hockey fan and do I stop going to the beach on one of the few remaining hot days in August or September because of playoff hockey that has the atmosphere of a damp washcloth? No, I don't. And others won't either to the point where it is almost embarrassing to see what the results will be. Hockey players want to know the fans care. But to play for the most coveted trophy in hockey in empty stadiums? It just isn't the same. Will the players honestly be into it?

The lack of atmosphere makes it a unique experience, at the very least, on an even playing field for all teams involved....we are talking pure hockey and no outside noise. Those type of circumstances don't diminish the accomplishment of who ever wins...that's just pure hockey without noise- best team on the ice wins. The essence of the sport and best-on-best is not watered down in any way by removing the arena experience.

People will be watching....if everyone is housed in because of the pandemic anyways, people will watch. Let's not act like no one will care or watch....we both know that won't happen.

Hockey players want to play because they need a source of income and doesn't want to disparage the future of the game, or their income moving forward...it's their livelihood. The reality is a lot of these athletes are competitive, and their professional. They will get up for the games. With that said, there's going to be a lot of different opinions after the experience, that's for sure.....but that's what happens with change in anything in life.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Level playing field so what’s your problem? Bet if your team won you would change your statement

If my team won I’d say the same thing. This playoffs is being played in an environment that no other cup has been played before with a 3+ month layoff. That’s not even including if players get sick mid series and have to sit out.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The lack of atmosphere makes it a unique experience, at the very least, on an even playing field for all teams involved....we are talking pure hockey and no outside noise. Those type of circumstances don't diminish the accomplishment of who ever wins...that's just pure hockey without noise- best team on the ice wins. The essence of the sport and best-on-best is not watered down in any way by removing the arena experience.

People will be watching....if everyone is housed in because of the pandemic anyways, people will watch. Let's not act like no one will care or watch....we both know that won't happen.

Hockey players want to play because they need a source of income and doesn't want to disparage the future of the game, or their income moving forward...it's their livelihood. The reality is a lot of these athletes are competitive, and their professional. They will get up for the games. With that said, there's going to be a lot of different opinions after the experience, that's for sure.....but that's what happens with change in anything in life.

The words "unique experience" is true, but it also just shows you how far we've dropped when it comes to quality of entertainment. I get it, I miss hockey too, I miss that feel in early April with the 1st round, but I also miss taking in MLB games in person and enjoying my summers that way as well. NASCAR is putting people in the stands now, there is no reason the NHL can't do the same, even if it is somewhat staggered (sit with your party but have a couple seats in between).

Look, in all seriousness, this is really just a big city thing now. In Ontario the Covid-19 is more of a Toronto thing now and more or less ignored by most of the rest of the province. People have figured it out by now. I was at the beach yesterday and it was packed. People sitting in boats partying, kids playing in the sand, chairs parked on the sand, etc. It honestly felt like 2019. Not a single mask I saw all day. None. People were just living their lives. And you know what, not a single person had a gun to their head getting forced to come out. They all could have stayed home "safe" if they wanted to. Or they could have enjoyed the best natural resource our world has to offer.

I am telling you, once fear starts leaving people's minds is when we'll see professional sports back the way it belongs. The NHL and NBA had packed buildings until mid-March and it wasn't until public opinion changed that they panicked. Take the panic away, and you are back to normal. It was only 4 months ago that the biggest sporting event in the world carried on like normal (Super Bowl).

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

Why are we expecting TV ratings to suck again? With limited options this could be the most watched playoffs of all time. I’d rather there be fans but if huge rivals meet you might be able to feel the hate between teams even more, with the sound of players screaming at each other not getting drowned out by fans.

Seems like you’re already writing this up to be a disappointment. This is going to be so different from every other year and I’m intrigued to see how it goes. If it does suck to watch, I’ll admit it, but I’m going to give it a chance first.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
it absolutely will.

and it will say "Playoffs not held due to Covid pandemic".

if it's actually awarded after a full playoff, then of course not.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Why are we expecting TV ratings to suck again? With limited options this could be the most watched playoffs of all time. I’d rather there be fans but if huge rivals meet you might be able to feel the hate between teams even more, with the sound of players screaming at each other not getting drowned out by fans.

Seems like you’re already writing this up to be a disappointment. This is going to be so different from every other year and I’m intrigued to see how it goes. If it does suck to watch, I’ll admit it, but I’m going to give it a chance first.

Personally I don't want to hear players going back and forth. Do you realize that this is another example of how even a player's language will be forced to clean up because he knows that every word he says will be magnified? People will be itching to shame players for their "questionable language" during this time. So I wouldn't expect the same sort of rivalry between players. They'll be on their best behaviour, which is another thing that will be a shame, there won't be any hate in these playoffs. The same people who would want to love to hear the players bicker at each other are the same ones who would wag their finger and demand a suspension for a player who uses colourful language on the ice.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Personally I don't want to hear players going back and forth. Do you realize that this is another example of how even a player's language will be forced to clean up because he knows that every word he says will be magnified? People will be itching to shame players for their "questionable language" during this time. So I wouldn't expect the same sort of rivalry between players. They'll be on their best behaviour, which is another thing that will be a shame, there won't be any hate in these playoffs. The same people who would want to love to hear the players bicker at each other are the same ones who would wag their finger and demand a suspension for a player who uses colourful language on the ice.

Well, it sounds like you have your mind set and are already planning for a negative experience.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well, it sounds like you have your mind set and are already planning for a negative experience.

I'd gladly be wrong. Look, at the very least they can put some fans in the stands. If they don't think we'll be at the point where you can have full stadiums then at least do what something like NASCAR is doing and have a certain capacity in there so there are at least SOME fans. At least have it at the level of a Florida Panthers game.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Definitely an asterix for multiple reasons. Top players have already been diagnosed with Coronavirus which could very easily affect their on ice ability when they are finally allowed to return. There will be more than a handful of guys who are going to be going in out of shape that weren’t out of shape prior to the shutdown. There will be at least one random team that wouldn’t have made the playoffs that goes on a random hot streak to start off and knocks out a legit contender. And it may not be a majority but there are certainly going to be quality players who sit out and don’t want to play.

NHL needs to worry about next year and not trying to cram in this sham of a proposal just for the sake of a few revenue dollars. f*** that.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So i've been a huge proponent of saying no asterisk. Everyone is in the same situation, and you have to make it through 5 rounds to win the cup, harder than ever, so the idea of an asterisk makes no sense.

But if what Friedman said yesterday about players who test positive being sidelined for 6-8 weeks turns out to be true - i might change my tune.

The only reason i'd agree with an asterisk is if we see a lot of players affected by covid not able to play.

I'm a habs fan. If we beat Pittsburgh - full merit to us and sucks for Pittsburgh. There should be no excuses, nor asterisk. But if we beat Pittsburgh because Crosby/Malkin got covid and are prevented to play for 8 weeks? Yeah - full asterisk, absolutely.

I guess we'll see. I'm trying to be optimistic, and hoping once players are locked down in host cities cases will be very limited, if not non-existent, but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad