Will/Should the Blue Jackets Change Their Playing Style?

eljefe72

Jul 28, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Now that the Jackets are officially going to the Eastern Conference next year, do you think the Jackets will/should change their playing style?

It's generally recognized that the EC is a little more free flowing while the WC is more physical and in your face. That being said, would the Jackets struggle if they don't adjust their playing style somewhat? WC teams seem to do fairly well against EC teams, and the Jackets in particular have in the past.

I'm just curious about what peoples' opinions are about which direction the Jackets should take (other than a winning one :) ) once they start playing in the EC.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Now that the Jackets are officially going to the Eastern Conference next year, do you think the Jackets will/should change their playing style?

It's generally recognized that the EC is a little more free flowing while the WC is more physical and in your face. That being said, would the Jackets struggle if they don't adjust their playing style somewhat? WC teams seem to do fairly well against EC teams, and the Jackets in particular have in the past.

I'm just curious about what peoples' opinions are about which direction the Jackets should take (other than a winning one :) ) once they start playing in the EC.

I don't necessarily believe anything should be changed unless the personnel dictate it.

New Jersey and Montreal are playing similar styles with much success currently.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

No. :D

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure their style should change on D it seems to be working fine right now. How it does against eastern teams will be determined.

But, and this is a big one, imo they have to change their offensive style from 5 guys scurrying around chasing the puck to something that resembles an offense. I was watching the Pitt-Boston game today and i could see players getting into position for passes, rebounds, slowing it down a bit, etc. I don't think we will do well in the East without a much improved offense. Whether we have the talent to do so is questionable in my mind.

eljefe72

Jul 28, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure their style should change on D it seems to be working fine right now. How it does against eastern teams will be determined.

But, and this is a big one, imo they have to change their offensive style from 5 guys scurrying around chasing the puck to something that resembles an offense. I was watching the Pitt-Boston game today and i could see players getting into position for passes, rebounds, slowing it down a bit, etc. I don't think we will do well in the East without a much improved offense. Whether we have the talent to do so is questionable in my mind.

I saw that game too, and I remember the announcers commenting that the Pens' and Bruins' players always have their sticks in the ready position to score a goal because you never know when the puck is going to come to you.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Good teams always play their game, and make their opponents adapt to them. The Penguins played the Boston Bruins today, and let Zdeno Chara match up with Sidney Crosby all day ... and it didn't wind up mattering, as Sid scored the eventual game-winner.

If the Bruins had played Zdeno Chara as they regularly would, I'm of the belief that they may have been better off ... he's no help pinned into his own end. I like our no-frills style now, I like the fact that we make defenders pay when they touch the puck. I say keep it, and make the other team protect their defense from our hard hitting forwards.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
For the most part in your face checking and Bobrovsky are the reasons the CBJ are doing well... There’s no reason to change that but there is little (some but not much) hope of any team making the playoffs in any division that only average 2.07 goals per game-that must change.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Good teams always play their game, and make their opponents adapt to them. The Penguins played the Boston Bruins today, and let Zdeno Chara match up with Sidney Crosby all day ... and it didn't wind up mattering, as Sid scored the eventual game-winner.

If the Bruins had played Zdeno Chara as they regularly would, I'm of the belief that they may have been better off ... he's no help pinned into his own end. I like our no-frills style now, I like the fact that we make defenders pay when they touch the puck. I say keep it, and make the other team protect their defense from our hard hitting forwards.

That was Joe Vitale. Sid scored to make it 1-0, Seguin tied it and Vitale scored the game-winner.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I've always argued that the likely way for the CBJ to have success is from the net out, defensive team. Now that could change if we happened to win a lottery and got a Crosby and Malkin, etc.
But in my view even if we had a god offensive team I think over time that costs a lot of money to hold onto. Other teams pay for goal scorers.
That is the style we are playing, that is the style we played when we were actually average (for 1 season in our history) and I'm hoping that's the way we continue to plan.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I think eventually their play style will have to change, but not due to the conference change.

Look at the Rangers and Blues this season. Last season both had awesome regular seasons, and went deep in the playoffs because they had hard working teams driven hard by taskmaster coaches that played as a unit, blocked shots, and had distributed scoring throughout the lineup.

This season, both are struggling compared to expectations because that work level can't be maintained indefinitely. Eventually it wears on the players, and you do need skill to win.

(then again, looking at the Predators, maybe I'm all wrong.)

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
What is our style? Working hard all over the ice? That plays well everywhere.

Besides, we dictate to the East, not the other way around.:yo:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think eventually their play style will have to change, but not due to the conference change.

Look at the Rangers and Blues this season. Last season both had awesome regular seasons, and went deep in the playoffs because they had hard working teams driven hard by taskmaster coaches that played as a unit, blocked shots, and had distributed scoring throughout the lineup.

This season, both are struggling compared to expectations because that work level can't be maintained indefinitely. Eventually it wears on the players, and you do need skill to win.

Have you seen how the Preds are doing right now? It's kind of ugly.

Then again, their blueline has been worn extremely thin with Suter's bait-and-switch. Josi's awesome but he doesn't move the puck the way Suter did, and guys like Ellis and Blum aren't ready for the roles they're having to take. And the backup substitutes are bottom-pairing types.

Next year ought to be better down there, but right now they're despairing.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Have you seen how the Preds are doing right now? It's kind of ugly.

Then again, their blueline has been worn extremely thin with Suter's bait-and-switch. Josi's awesome but he doesn't move the puck the way Suter did, and guys like Ellis and Blum aren't ready for the roles they're having to take. And the backup substitutes are bottom-pairing types.

Next year ought to be better down there, but right now they're despairing.

Agreed, but they've been playing a hard nosed grinding style and having success consistently for a decade, as opposed to the 2 I mentioned in the post which did it for a season or two then struggled.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Let's not forget that the Blues have had major issues in goal tending and the Rangers traded a couple of key players in that system.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I've sort of been figuring that the playing style has been a result of the roster and (sorry Viq) LOFT. We don't have the high-scoring forwards who can freewheel all over the ice so we've had to adapt to this in-your-face, grinding style to have any kind of success. It's been working so I say don't change things up unless we have to, except to add in some offense.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've sort of been figuring that the playing style has been a result of the roster and (sorry Viq) LOFT. We don't have the high-scoring forwards who can freewheel all over the ice so we've had to adapt to this in-your-face, grinding style to have any kind of success. It's been working so I say don't change things up unless we have to, except to add in some offense.

while I agree with your statement regarding the defensive style, I continue to believe we have to add some offensive talent. Otherwise at best we are a Preds-like team who may grind into the playoffs as long as Bob plays like Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy but not be a serious contender. A 2 goal a game team will not cut it long term.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
while I agree with your statement regarding the defensive style, I continue to believe we have to add some offensive talent. Otherwise at best we are a Preds-like team who may grind into the playoffs as long as Bob plays like Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy but not be a serious contender. A 2 goal a game team will not cut it long term.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. That's what I mean. Continue playing how we are but add some offensive punch. Now if adding in the offense causes us to re-evaluate our playing style then ok, although I like how we are playing now, but obviously we need more goal support.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sorry, I must not have been clear. That's what I mean. Continue playing how we are but add some offensive punch. Now if adding in the offense causes us to re-evaluate our playing style then ok, although I like how we are playing now, but obviously we need more goal support.

Six of one, 1/2 dozen of another. We agree.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They need to change their game in the offensive zone. I think that seems to be the consensus around here. 2 goals in the last 3 games is kind of embarrassing.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
They need to change their game in the offensive zone. I think that seems to be the consensus around here. 2 goals in the last 3 games is kind of embarrassing.

To me, the change needed is more in personnel and development than it is their game. The opportunities are there, there just aren't enough finishers.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

I give Richards a ton of credit (in addition to Bob) for the current run but one thing Richards must stress (if he wants to make the playoffs) is to fix the power play...

When a team (CBJ) can hold opponents to scoring 1.5 goals or less per game the importance of the CBJ scoring on the PP is magnified 100%...

The Jackets must be coached on how to score when having the advantage, this is key to making the playoffs if Bob and the team defense continues to play so well....

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
To me, the change needed is more in personnel and development than it is their game. The opportunities are there, there just aren't enough finishers.

Maybe but their game is much too chippy. The passing is anything but crisp and clean. Too often it's off the mark, the puck is on edge, or they just put it in an opposing player's skates.

They need to open it up and complete passes like professional hockey players are expected to do. Not every pass, mind you, but the puck shouldn't look like a rubber ball they keep swatting at with their sticks.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

More finishers and better offensive players who will create more opportunities. With the D and if Bob stays close to his recent play that would be a great team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad