Will scoring remain high?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Only one thing is certain. People will complain about goalie equipment regardless of scoring.
Yup the league will revert back to no goalie masks and the standup style of goaltending and people will still want more goals lol

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Why do you want scoring to increase? I'd rather watch a good allround game. Higher scoring usually means sloppy hockey.
My thoughts exactly!!! I could never see why people want a billion goals scored in a game? Not only is it sloppy hockey but it’s not a fun game to watch I prefer the close low scoring playoff style hockey not that all star game crap!!! Different strokes for different folks I guess

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
All depends on how the refs are told/decide to manage the game. Really has nothing to do with the on ice product or players

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
This preseason has actually had much more scoring than the previous 2 preseasons. ~6.35 goals per regulation through 96 preseason games so far. ~5.6 goals/regulation in the 2017 preseason in 108 games, ~4.6 goals/regulation in the 2016 preseason in 105 games.

Yeah I totally threw off my whole comment by accidentally saying no when I meant to type yes.

The comment makes a hell of a lot more sense by replacing yes instead of no also. I’m clumsy.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Let's pump them brakes Leafs fans, they scored 6 against a less than full bottom 5 DRW team in exhibition play. Getting Tavares doesn't add 40% more offense to your team, get real!

You’re right, but adding Tavares in the lineup and giving their star player more playing time and significantly more power play time will help get there.

Also, seeing as the defense is not actually any better (it’s one year older yes, but comprised of the same players including whatever remains of Ron Hainsey possibly playing 80% of the penalty kill again), they will most likely give up more goals as well.

Maybe the other teams in the league will realize that coaches having heart palpitations during the game and Gabby’s face permanently crimson is more entertaining than the Devils of yore, Wild of a few years back and all other defensive/trapping systems teams.

Let’s watch basketball games on ice. 7-6 for everyone. I’d enjoy that tremendously.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
NHL hockey wasn't sloppy last season with an increase in scoring so I don't inow what you're talking about
Yes it was sloppy. The majority of goals are scored because of a mistake. Turnover, poor decision defensively, a bad pinch,laziness on backchecking or weak goaltending. Even giving up a pp goal can be considered sloppy because most penalties are from sloppy plays.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Yes it was sloppy. The majority of goals are scored because of a mistake. Turnover, poor decision defensively, a bad pinch,laziness on backchecking or weak goaltending. Even giving up a pp goal can be considered sloppy because most penalties are from sloppy plays.
It wasn't sloppy at all, and I don't think you have any way of actually proving it.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I could see totals being maintained or possibly increasing.
The shift from size to a skill preference at the draft should continue to have a positive offensive impact.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You’re right, but adding Tavares in the lineup and giving their star player more playing time and significantly more power play time will help get there.

Also, seeing as the defense is not actually any better (it’s one year older yes, but comprised of the same players including whatever remains of Ron Hainsey possibly playing 80% of the penalty kill again), they will most likely give up more goals as well.

Maybe the other teams in the league will realize that coaches having heart palpitations during the game and Gabby’s face permanently crimson is more entertaining than the Devils of yore, Wild of a few years back and all other defensive/trapping systems teams.

Let’s watch basketball games on ice. 7-6 for everyone. I’d enjoy that tremendously.

Leafs only had 6 against 3 times, all before Nov 5th when andersen was shoit.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I watched a lot of hockey. And yes the hockey was sloppy. Your definition of sloppy must be different. I guess your standards arent as high.

So there is no such thing as a non-sloppy goal in hockey?

100% of goals are scored due to a mistake.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

but then arent most sports plays scored cause of mistakes then?
I think sometimes you just get beat, "mistakes' aren't always apart of the equation.

Anyways i think scoring will be similar to last year maybe a tick lower imo.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

There are some goals that aren't really due to a mistake. But most goals are because of a sloppy play. Obviously sub par play is good enough for you. Well it isn't for me. I dont want to see each team scoring 5 or 6 goals a game because of a lack of discipline.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There are some goals that aren't really due to a mistake. But most goals are because of a sloppy play. Obviously sub par play is good enough for you. Well it isn't for me. I dont want to see each team scoring 5 or 6 goals a game because of a lack of discipline.

You're advocating for 0-0 tie if you want sloppy play free hockey. Even a SO goal is a mistake on the goalie part since there is no such thing as a unstoppable shot.

I also don't want 10-12 goals game, but you're asking for the players to do a choreography.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You're advocating for 0-0 tie if you want sloppy play free hockey. Even a SO goal is a mistake on the goalie part since there is no such thing as a unstoppable shot.

I also don't want 10-12 goals game, but you're asking for the players to do a choreography.
Mistakes are going to happen. No one is perfect. But if players play a disciplined game the mistakes will be limited. I can handle a player getting beat one on one on occasion. What bugs me is mental mistakes and lazy play defensively. If a team plays a fundamentally sound game there is no reason to give up a lot of goals. And I'm not talking about just sitting back and playing defensive hockey. I actually prefer teams forechecking hard to keep the puck in the offensive zone. I also prefer seeing a team cycle the puck well.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Mistakes are going to happen. No one is perfect. But if players play a disciplined game the mistakes will be limited. I can handle a player getting beat one on one on occasion. What bugs me is mental mistakes and lazy play defensively. If a team plays a fundamentally sound game there is no reason to give up a lot of goals. And I'm not talking about just sitting back and playing defensive hockey. I actually prefer teams forechecking hard to keep the puck in the offensive zone. I also prefer seeing a team cycle the puck well.

My impression is that the increase in goals last year was due to tighter enforcement of slashing. If that is true, then the sloppiness factor was the same both seasons, except that the sloppiness was punished more last year.

Do you disagree?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Whatever league scoring average is per game, in the 82 games involving the Leafs, it'll be 30-40% higher.

It might average 7-5 per game for those 82. Toronto seems like they can score at will and can't seem to have discovered defense as of yet.

A 0-0 game will be oh so rare.
Score at will? Did I miss something?!?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Remember when Toronto had a full 2-minute 5-on-3 last night and didn't get a single shot on goal? Even during the PP they were talking about how Toronto would score at least 300 goals on the season and at least 80 PP goals. Yikes, chill tfo. It's a long season

- Toronto scoring a bunch of PP goals in pre-season means nothing

- Them not scoring on a 5-3 in pre-season means they are overrated and not that improved

???.jpg

Tavares won't improve every facet of the team sure but the PP is 100% without a doubt improved. They traded Bozak and JVR for Tavares and Matthews on the #1 unit. That is a MASSIVE talent upgrade. Very realistically they can be the top PP in the league, especially when most teams don't have a #1 that good and the #2 unit is as good as many teams first unit (Marleau, Nylander, etc on it).

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
- Toronto scoring a bunch of PP goals in pre-season means nothing

- Them not scoring on a 5-3 in pre-season means they are overrated and not that improved

???.jpg

Tavares won't improve every facet of the team sure but the PP is 100% without a doubt improved. They traded Bozak and JVR for Tavares and Matthews on the #1 unit. That is a MASSIVE talent upgrade. Very realistically they can be the top PP in the league, especially when most teams don't have a #1 that good and the #2 unit is as good as many teams first unit (Marleau, Nylander, etc on it).
I really don't think you can say the preseason means nothing and then throw a hypothetical as your means of an argument.

They may be as good as a lot of people are touting, but they could also be decent and perform similar to other top teams in the league. We will have to see, but I believe in parity and the ability of teams to perform well on the PK, as well as underwhelm on a PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad