Will Ryan Miller get a goalie job this summer?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Miller will have a few suitors, thats for sure.

I think Vancouver has potential to be a fit on a shorter deal (3-4 years). Washington, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Carolina will all likely have interest, but I think Miller's priority will be to win now. If Niemi is bought out, I could see him taking a bargain deal to play in SJ.

I think there will be shrewd team that will move their starter to one of the 'less desirable' teams for assets and sign Miller.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Miller will have a few suitors, thats for sure.

I think Vancouver has potential to be a fit on a shorter deal (3-4 years). Washington, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Carolina will all likely have interest, but I think Miller's priority will be to win now. If Niemi is bought out, I could see him taking a bargain deal to play in SJ.

I think there will be shrewd team that will move their starter to one of the 'less desirable' teams for assets and sign Miller.
Niemi won't be bought out, they will be able to get something decent for him, starter on his last year of 4 million at age 30.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Niemi won't be bought out, they will be able to get something decent for him, starter on his last year of 4 million at age 30.

They could be the shrewd team them....sign Miller to a 4 year, 22-24 million deal, flip Niemi to Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg for a 2nd rounder.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Miller's not going to get a deal like Lundqvist, but the speculation that his services won't be in demand is highly exaggerated. I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders make a big push to sign him.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I can see Miller being this year's Semin - a big name that everyone thinks will be highly coveted but who will end up not landing a contract until late July-early August. Like Semin was, I think a lot of teams that might consider Miller see the risks and will pause before signing him. I definitely don't see any team giving him more than a 3 year deal.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
NHLN listed Brodeur as the 3rd best UFA goalie still on the market.

There will be plenty of interest in Miller.

duuude

Apr 26, 2014
So some think a 34 yr old average goalie on the downward side of the hill with a history of NEVER being clutch is going to garner a lot of attention starting July 1. No way, I don't believe a GM is stupid enough to put his job on the line for Ryan Miller. Miller has not proven to be any better than anyone suggested he is going to replace. Makes no sense to replace an average goalie with an average goalie. Miller is not an upgrade anywhere.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So some think a 34 yr old average goalie on the downward side of the hill with a history of NEVER being clutch is going to garner a lot of attention starting July 1. No way, I don't believe a GM is stupid enough to put his job on the line for Ryan Miller. Miller has not proven to be any better than anyone suggested he is going to replace. Makes no sense to replace an average goalie with an average goalie. Miller is not an upgrade anywhere.

Look at the bottom 10 teams in the league for 2014. Miller is not better than any of those starters? You can stop the ax grinding for a few moments and look again.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So some think a 34 yr old average goalie on the downward side of the hill with a history of NEVER being clutch

*sigh*

Agreed that he's on the downhill part of his career.

But if you think he's never been clutch.....that's misguided at best. He was the driving force behind the Ottawa upset in 05/06 and was pretty much the ONLY reason we got by the Rangers in 06/07........

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It's not like Miller has won any MVP awards in best on best international tournaments or anything.

duuude

Apr 26, 2014
Look at the bottom 10 teams in the league for 2014. Miller is not better than any of those starters? You can stop the ax grinding for a few moments and look again.

I don't think he is better than Enroth, Scrivens, Rinne, Bernier, Schneider, Luongo, Khudobin, Halak.

I think he is equal to Holtby, Anderson, Reimer, Greiss, Smith

I think he is better than Brodeur(now not in his prime), Lehner, Fasth, Ward, Nabokov, Montoya, Pavelec, Lack, Hutton and everybody in Calgary.

They represent all the teams that missed out on the playoffs. What is it going to take for people to see that Miller is not all that and is just barely average. It only took St Louis fans 25 games to figure it out why can't Buffalo fans?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't think he is better than Enroth, Scrivens, Rinne, Bernier, Schneider, Luongo, Khudobin, Halak.

I think he is better than Brodeur(now not in his prime), Lehner, Fasth, Ward, Nabokov, Montoya, Pavelec, Lack, Hutton and everybody in Calgary.

They represent all the teams that missed out on the playoffs. What is it going to take for people to see that Miller is not all that and is just barely average. It only took St Louis fans 25 games to figure it out why can't Buffalo fans?

You don't think he's better than Enroth? End of conversation right there. Enroth hasn't even proven to be better than the second group of guys you listed. These groupings are completely non-sense. Ben Scrivens and Khudobin in the first group? Why are you putting those guys in a different class than the likes of Holtby and Reimer?

Only a few of these guys are inarguably a bit better than Miller. Why you're limiting yourself to discussing non-playoff teams is beyond me.

Miller is not "barely average". "Barely average" means you aren't a starter. Miller has proven at worst to be an average starter over the course of his career. Arguing otherwise is just foolishness.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

You're completely blinded by an anti-Miller agenda duuuuuuuuuude. That list, as Rob pointed out is heinous.

:facepalm:

You're dismissed

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Because 'judging' a player based on 4% of the games he's played in his NHL career is, to put it mildly, dumb.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

LOL.You don't think Miller is better then Enroth? That's ridiculous. Miller is still a top 8 regular season goalie. Stop blaming Miller for the Blues losing. Yes Miller could have been better but the Blues were a terribly overrated and overachieving team. They will be lucky to finish with a top 6 seed next year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
LOL.You don't think Miller is better then Enroth? That's ridiculous. Miller is still a top 8 regular season goalie. Stop blaming Miller for the Blues losing. Yes Miller could have been better but the Blues were a terribly overrated and overachieving team. They will be lucky to finish with a top 6 seed next year.

I think St Louis could miss the playoffs next year. Reason---they play in the toughest division. They started the season very hot in divisional play where they did something like 20-1-4 or something like that in divisional record to start the season. I see the division winner around 100 and then 2-5 are all 96-91 pts while I think Phoenix is good enought o get 4th place at around 92-93 pts and takes one wild card spot.

duuude

Apr 26, 2014
Pretty obvious by your comments you guys do not look at Ryan Miller with an open mind.
Enroth has been better than him for 3 years now, but you still want to believe Miller is a god!

Why didn't St Louis want to keep Miller after only 25 games or 4% as you say? Because the Blues seen all they needed to see, period! Why can't you see it?

Top 8, really! Haha Top 25 is more realistic, but hey keep believing.

I believe no GM on a good team is going to risk his job on Miller. That's just my opinion, but of course you'll tell me my opinion is wrong and your's is right, whatever!

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Pretty obvious by your comments you guys do not look at Ryan Miller with an open mind.
Enroth has been better than him for 3 years now, but you still want to believe Miller is a god!

Why didn't St Louis want to keep Miller after only 25 games or 4% as you say? Because the Blues seen all they needed to see, period! Why can't you see it?

I believe no GM on a good team is going to risk his job on Miller. That's just my opinion, but of course you'll tell me my opinion is wrong and your's is right, whatever!

List the 'good' teams who need a goalie, and we'll be able to see if you're correct after FA ends.

Also STL would lose their 2014 1st if they signed Miller. It's not like he was free to them.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Right... everyone here has a closed mind, and you're the smartest guy in the room who sees through the b.s.

Enroth has been better than Miller for 3 years? That's such a clearly incorrect thing to say that people are going to start assuming that you are just trolling. If you aren't trolling then you're simply deluding yourself, presumably out of some dislike of Miller, yet you have the gall to state no one has an open mind on the issue. Most people on here aren't even big Ryan Miller fans.

Enroth has had some excruciatingly brutal stretches over the past 3 years. His highs and lows have both been lower than Miller's, without question.

By the way, you're the one who started off telling people their opinions are wrong ("weak opinions"), so don't go making comments like you're victimized by people when they respond the same way, unless you want to seem like a child.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Or, as their GM alluded to about 4 times in interviews about going in another direction, they decided they didn't want to give up another first round pick, which they would have had to do if they did keep him around.

I'm sure you'll come back here and admit your opinion that 'no GM will sign Miller' after he does sign a deal, right?

EDIT : Also, I do not believe Ryan Miller is a 'god'. Ryan Miller is a good goaltender who is still capable of starting on a team at the NHL level.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Also, I do not believe Ryan Miller is a 'god'. Ryan Miller is a good goaltender who is still capable of starting on a team at the NHL level.

Exactly. The vast majority of Sabres fans fall into this. Very very few think he's elite. Very very few think he sucks. Duuuuuuuude is ax grinding. And sadly ignorant on Miller. Opinion of his value and worth do not match at all with what factual value and worth he is.

Case in point ... Enroth is better :biglaugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No, it is the Miller supporters who are the most ignorant bunch.

Bet Enroth has a better year than Miller does. Miller is old, used up, he's mentally fragile. Good luck to whoever signs him because they will absolutely need it.

A lot will depend on where Miller lands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad