Will Ruutu rebound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
He's a ROOKIE!

Thats what is wrong. Why such over hyped expectations? That is the problem here with these prospects being so overhyped. When they get to the big dance, everyone expects an immediate 60 pt season. Let him develop and grow as a player then in 5 yrs ask what is wrong with him if he falls short. But a month into his first NHL season? :dunno:

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
Big Bill said:
He's a ROOKIE!

Thats what is wrong. Why such over hyped expectations? That is the problem here with these prospects being so overhyped. When they get to the big dance, everyone expects an immediate 60 pt season. Let him develop and grow as a player then in 5 yrs ask what is wrong with him if he falls short. But a month into his first NHL season? :dunno:

Yeah but imo, when you're supposed to win the Calder and you ask for millions, and your role is to produce, than a production of at least 30-40 points wouldn't be such an high expectation. Don't you think so?

I would image 3-4 points in the first 10 games would be good, but a single goal... wow, that is super-production. And it's not because he doesn't get the ice time (with over 15 minutes/game in average).

So my question again, do you think he will start to produce more than right now, and actually put up around 30 points or more?

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Big Bill said:
He's a ROOKIE!

Pat Bergeron is a rookie and he already got 8 pts...and he's only 18!!!

Sammy*

Komi#1 said:
Wowee!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats your point???

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
No, Ruutu will not get 30 pts this year. As a centerman, he has shown very limited play-making and passing abilities. And Ruutu has played more minutes this year than any other Hawks centerman. He is always on the PP. But he cannot create offensive chances for himself. All he does is finish hits.

He will not be a finalist for the Calder. And he is not 6'2".

On the other hand, both Radulov and Vorobiev are on pace to score 30-40 pts this year. They have been far more impressive offensively than Ruutu.

-HIFK-

Originally posted by Komi# 1

Yeah, you must be on to something!!! Just like Shane Doan, who has 4+6 points, is that much better than Fedorov, Sakic, Selanne, Elias, Yashin, Shanahan, Lemieux etc. who have less points than him.

I´ve said it before, Ruutu is not a goal-machine. Even tough he was starting to dominate the Finnish league before his injury last season, he was never going to be the league´s top scorer. That´s never been his best aspect in the game.

And from what I´ve heard, playing beside Moen and Nichol in the fourth line, concentrating on defensive play, might prevent you from scoring heaps of points. And yes, I know that Ruutu started the season with Sullivan and Daze, but he stayed there for just a couple of games, which happened to be the first games of his NHL-career.

But I´ll tell you this. Ruutu will never be a bust. He may not score a lot of points, but having watched him closely for his entire hockey-career since we were kids, he´ll be one heck of a player. He already is. Nobody has more heart and attitude than him.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
-HIFK- said:
Yeah, you must be on to something!!! Just like Shane Doan, who has 4+6 points, is that much better than Fedorov, Sakic, Selanne, Elias, Yashin, Shanahan, Lemieux etc. who have less points than him.

I´ve said it before, Ruutu is not a goal-machine. Even tough he was starting to dominate the Finnish league before his injury last season, he was never going to be the league´s top scorer. That´s never been his best aspect in the game.

And from what I´ve heard, playing beside Moen and Nichol in the fourth line, concentrating on defensive play, might prevent you from scoring heaps of points. And yes, I know that Ruutu started the season with Sullivan and Daze, but he stayed there for just a couple of games, which happened to be the first games of his NHL-career.

But I´ll tell you this. Ruutu will never be a bust. He may not score a lot of points, but having watched him closely for his entire hockey-career since we were kids, he´ll be one heck of a player. He already is. Nobody has more heart and attitude than him.

I agree he won't be a bust. He's one of those players who has the all-round skills to play in the NHL even if his offence lags behind.

When comparing Vorobiev and Ruutu, I think it was always closer than most people realize. Vorobiev was just lost in Ruutu's shadow. They play similar games, both had great years in elite leagues last year, and both play complete, NHL-ready games. It's closer than most people realize, just people have over-hyped Ruutu. Not to say Ruutu can't still be a first line player. Hell, it took Olli Jokinen how many years to develop into the player he is now? And Ruutu isn't even into his second NHL month and we're already on his case. He's ahead of Alex Svitov, who didn't even make his team this year.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
He will be fine...I just wish they had someone else behind the bench than Sutter.

I wish we could go back and see if this kind of talk went on with Joe Thorntons rookie year which was far from dazzling.

"supposed to win the calder"....why do you think anyone is supposed to win it? He still has every chance to win it, like every other rookie. People picked him as favourite because he was supposed to get more ice time in top two lines. Now with Daze and Zhamnov out, he is in the 4th line with two stonehands. And I find it hard to believe the problem has been his passing.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I'm surprised that so many people have yet to learn that some prospects take more time and that there is no reason to count out a prospect this early.
Jokinen and Näslund are only two examples of players that by many were considered major busts for several years.

I personally think that Ruutu will be an above average NHLer, likely a star even, just give him some time.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The expectations are no doubt higher for Ruutu because of the incredibly pointless hype that surrounded him as well as the fact he is an overager.

Heck, I still have a wager with Dr Chimera regarding Spezza VS Ruutu, one that I will win HANDS DOWN :D :p

It all started with THN, which really is setting up people for disapointment putting prospects like Ryan Miller and Ruutu way too high and I've said so from the get go. His contract negociations were also a complete fiasco. Talk about some crappy PR.

Still, I actually prefer the real Ruutu (very feisty player with nice talent) to the super-prospect he was sometimes advertised to be. I disagree with the poster who said he has limited playmaking ability. I've seen him try some nice things and once he is less awestruck, he'll be able to set up linemates very well. It's just not going to happen overnight.

It is good to remember there is plenty of hockey left this year. I doubt Ruutu will be the R-O-Y but there is still a lot of hockey left to play. It's just that Ruutu ain't the type of player who can come overnight and change a team's fortune like a Kovalchuk.

Ruutu would become a fan favorite in short order but people have been set up for disapointment because of the expectations. Over time, he will win people over thanks to his style of play.

Prospects playing an energetic game sometimes fall very flat on a lifeless team too. That's something I take in consideration. The Hawks half the time are wondering around without purpose, they are very uneven and you never know how they'll play from period to period.

Also, the guy is supposed to be a leader of sort but can't feel at ease yet in a dressing room where English is the language of choice. I've seeen him in interviews and he is still speaking in a rudimentary fashion. That will be an aadaptation for him.

That and a million little things. Over time it will get better.

And over time Dr_Chimera will owe me a supper because there is no way in hell Ruutu will ever become a better player than Spezza :p

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
-HIFK- said:

I don't understand your statement concerning Shane Doan if you're going to use his skill level and current point production as your example to illustrate an antinomy to Ruutu.

I've watched Doan for play several years and I can tell you that his point production is not an aberration. Doan has always been a strong skater, a physically punishing hitter with a solid hard shot, who is defensively responsible as well as possessing a number of other intangibles.

Now that Doan has emerged as a leader on the ice, and has somewhat come under the shadow of Roenick and Tkachuk as the 'reasons' behind his previous offensive success, I think we will see Doan take his game to the next level.

His stamina, softer hands, and new confidence that he has brought to the rink this season just add to his repertoire. I would not be surprised to see Shane Doan, who is just hitting his prime, develop into a top line power forward capable of posting 75 pts, and possibly 85+ pts with a star center, other than Gratton.

Doan's offensive numbers will shadow if not surpass Selanne's, Elias, Yashin and Shanahan's this season.

Just my opinion.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
But Isn't Ruttu Paid big time money!!

and with high salary comes more expectations he's making lot of money for first year rookie and has to start showing his worth other wise Hawks won't be happy with average season he wants to get paid like superstar then he should start playing like one.

D-Rock

Mar 13, 2002
Chi-town
Visit site
Habs4ever said:
and with high salary comes more expectations he's making lot of money for first year rookie and has to start showing his worth other wise Hawks won't be happy with average season he wants to get paid like superstar then he should start playing like one.

That could be argued for anyone else in the league not playing up to their expectations and current salary. That's another issue for a separate board, though.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Be patient with Ruutu. He's what, 20? He's still adjusting to the NA style of play plus he's also on a very, very bad team.
Henrik Zetterburg in the first half of 02-03 had 12 points in his first 39 games.
In the last 40 he had 32, 15 of which were goals.

Ruutu will probably finish the season with 25-30 points. Not bad by any standards especially for a 20 year old European on possibly the worst team in the NHL.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Habs4ever said:

paid like superstar???

he is paid less then Dackell.....

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Beatnik said:
paid like superstar???

he is paid less then Dackell.....

Bonusses. That's why the Comrie and Gaborik situations are so messed up, is because while their base salary is 1.3 million or so, their real salary with performance bonusses can push the value of the contract up to 3-4 million a season.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
All Star United said:
Do you think Ruutu will start scoring soon or he will finish the year with 5 points?!?

His production is awful! What's happening with him?

1. Unlike Patrice Bergeron --he doesn't have a Brian Rolston to help set him up.....

2. They have already moved him from centre to LW as I predicted --I always had my dounts he could be more than a 3rd line centre--but
as a LW I think he could eventually be productive on the 2nd or even 1st line (the latter IF there were a top-notch vcentre to help him) ...

3. The Hawks have now moved him off the 4th line with 2 never-will -scores Moen and Nichol to a line with Brett McLean at centre and Steve Sullivan as the other winger---we shall see if this unit stays together or not.....

4. the Hawks' injury problems to Zhamnov and Daze have created hovoc with the line combos--it will have taken some games to sort it all out and get the "bonding chemistry " and familiarity with line-mates that are necessary for better offensive production........IF he stays with a line for sufficient time and such chemistry/familiarity improves--his offense should improve..

5. The hawks are not overly offense-oriented as a whole team---hampered by both a D-corps that woud be hard-pressed to make most other NHl squads--certainly not being able to control a game or transition easiliy from the back -end--this hurts ALL Hawks' forwards...

6. Brian Sutter does not encourage fire-wagon "flow" hockey....Ruutu would be putting up more points if he played in DET,COL,or a few other teams--it is hard for any Hawks' forwards to get points as things are now..to single-handedly have him change the team dynamics by himself is unrealistic--KOVALCHUK he is not nor will ever be...

7. The Hawks are DUE to break -out for a rare offensive out-put---perhaps tonight back-home after a 4 game road trip on which they were undefeated --vs. PIT ......IF they get a rare 6 goal barrage --I predict Ruutu will be part of the break-out with 2G........(Fleury must have an "off" game)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad