Will Ovechkin catch Gretzky in career goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Ovechkin had 422 goals in his career as of as of the end of last season. Gretzky had 894.

Ovechkin is 29 years old. Let's say for the sake of argument he plays until he's 40, or up to and including the 2025-26 season (Gretzky played until he was 37). That's another 12 seasons.

Ovechkin is 894 - 422 = 472 goals behind Gretzky. To catch him he would need to average 472/12 = 39.33 goals per season. Let's just round up and say to surpass Gretzky he'd have to average 40 goals per year for 12 more years, including this one.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

By comparison when Greztky was 29 years old he had 677 goals. In his first eight seasons he had 543. In Ovechkin's first eight seasons he has averaged 52.75 goals per season, which is very much commendable. The most Ovechkin has scored in a year is 65.

In Gretzky's first eight seasons he averaged 67.875.

It's quite possible that Ovechkin might do it. If Ovechkin keeps up his current 52.75 goals per season pace he'll pass Gretzky in 2022, but the last time Ovechkin had more than 52.75 goals in a season was five years ago; the average is being dragged down as time goes on...

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I think Ovy's two down years hurt his chances, as did the lockout, but then again scoring 894 career goals was probably out of reach regardless. I think barring a major injury he's probably good for 700, but then again if he plays to his max potential for the next decade and finds himself with 800 or so goals at the age of 40, I could see him hanging on as long as possible to make a run at the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad