Will our defenceman be ready for our cup window?

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Pretty simple , Marc Bergevin said when he got here he had a 5 year plan. This means that based on his moves, the team should compete for a Stanley Cup in two years. Our forward group is good right now and players like McCarron, Scherbak , DLR and Hudon should be in the NHL or really close in two years. Our goalies are obviously set as well with Carey, Tokarski and Fucale. However, defenseman needs to be mature and mobile and at this point we have a old not mobile defensive group. Do you think Beaulieu, Tinordi will be mature enough to get a top4 position and contribute to this team? Will the defence be our weakest link at that point. Not to mention our current defensive strategy

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Nope.

We should have gave experience to Tinordi and Beaulieu this year. To live with their rookie mistakes. But they would have been ready for our cup window.

Now, they will still be rookie when we're gonna be rdy.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Nope.

We should have gave experience to Tinordi and Beaulieu this year. To live with their rookie mistakes. But they would have been ready for our cup window.

Now, they will still be rookie when we're gonna be rdy.

We trade both of them for a more complete, better d-man.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's my problem with not playing Tinordi/Beaulieu and not having Galchenyuk as a centre this season. They are missing good exp in a year where we are not a cup contender.

The peak (combination of speed, strength, exp) of most players is between 26 and 30 or something like that. Not saying guys can't be good past or before that but usually after 30 a guy starts to slow down (some faster than others like Gomez) and before 26 a guy lack exp. Of course a Jagr slowing down is not as evident as a Gionta slowing down ;) and a inexperienced Crosby is not as evident as let's say Eller ;)

At the very beginning of next season :

Eller will be 26
Subban will be 26
Pacman will be 26
Price will be 28
Sekac 23
Gallagher 23

The window is starting next season and we have around 5, 6 or 7 years at the very most before guys like Subban and Pacman get past their prime.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are both 22. Yes they still have a lot to learn and might never become good d men in the NHL. But we have to find out this year and next year not in 3 years where we wil be in the middle of the window. At least one of the 2 must get NHL exp. There's no point playing a guy like Allen.

When Pacman and Subban will be 28 guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu and Galchenyuk should ideally have 2 years of xp at their position in the NHL.

Also saying Beaulieu and Tinordi must stay in the AHL to play is not as right as some think it is. In the AHL right now we have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Dietz, Nygren, Bennett, Ellis and vets like Drewiske and Finley. All those guys can't have good ice time. Having Beaulieu and or Tinordi in Montréal gives more ice time to guys like Dietz and Bennett.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Like many I would prefer to see Tinordi or Beaulieu out there and sure, making mistakes, than watch Allen and Weaver make mistakes. The kids can gain from the experience playing in the NHL. We have the oldest d-core in the league right now.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They're a year behind in their development. Instead of learning from their rookie mistakes this year, they'll be doing that next year. It's a shame. I was hoping Bergevin stuck to his word when he said the youth would get a chance. Instead, we have the oldest defense group.

At least one of Tinordi/Beaulieu (I'll say Tinner) would have been ready to play top-4 minutes in two years if they had played this year.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Who needs defense when you have Carey Price...in other words, no. We live and die with Price unless Tinordi/Bealieu develop properly.

smon

Sep 12, 2008
Interesting question. Defense is definitely the weaker part of this young core right now.

If we look ahead a couple of seasons to who our NHL ready defensemen are - Markov and Gonchar retired, Allen/Weaver/Gilbert gone - we have Subban, Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi. Plus at least two external acquisitions, i.e. UFA or trade which are probably equivalent to Gilbert/Weaver. That's not especially impressive.

The biggest challenge might be getting a number two i.e. Markov who can log quality minutes. Beaulieu probably doesn't project to that type of player and neither does Tinordi.

Pointless I know, but if we had McDonagh right now...

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Interesting question. Defense is definitely the weaker part of this young core right now.

If we look ahead a couple of seasons to who our NHL ready defensemen are - Markov and Gonchar retired, Allen/Weaver/Gilbert gone - we have Subban, Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi. Plus at least two external acquisitions, i.e. UFA or trade which are probably equivalent to Gilbert/Weaver. That's not especially impressive.

The biggest challenge might be getting a number two i.e. Markov who can log quality minutes. Beaulieu probably doesn't project to that type of player and neither does Tinordi.

Pointless I know, but if we had McDonagh right now...

We are lucky that our prospect pool is abundant right now but a top pairing defenseman around 30 years old would do wonder to this team in terms of having a mature, movile defensive group that would complement our group. In the next two years all these defencemans will become UFA and should interest Marc Bergevin:
- Andrej Sekera
- Marc Methot
- Johnny Boychuk
- Zbynek Michalek
- Cody Franson
- Keith Yandle
- Brent Seabrook
- Mark Giordano
- Jason Demers

Obviously not all these players will become available , but hopefully we can sign one or two

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The Boston Bruins are showing this season that young DMen take more time to develop than forwards do.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Without a doubt they'll both be ready, but I'd still like to make a shrewd move in FA to pick up a top 4 d-man. Someone like Stralman.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
We are going to need a # 2 or 3 defenseman. Even when Tinordi and Beaulieu are going to be full time NHL'ers, we are going to need that missing piece. Same way the Bruins went out and got Seidenberg. I'd love to see Bergevin go after Yandle, but it most cost us a lot

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Who needs defense when you have Carey Price...in other words, no. We live and die with Price unless Tinordi/Bealieu develop properly.

That's a pretty terrible strategy.

How about having a good defense to go along with our great goalie? Price can't do everything.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
We are going to need a # 2 or 3 defenseman. Even when Tinordi and Beaulieu are going to be full time NHL'ers, we are going to need that missing piece. Same way the Bruins went out and got Seidenberg. I'd love to see Bergevin go after Yandle, but it most cost us a lot

With Hudon, Reway, Andrighetto, Scherbak, Galchenyuk, Audette, Thomas, Lehkonen, McCarron, Gallagher all vying for top 9 spots, + Tokarski and Fucale, Hopefully we'll have enough trade bait to land a premier defender.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Personally, I hate all this "they need to get NHL experience" talk. If that were true, then you might as well take a Peewee player and put them in the NHL so they can get NHL experience. I mean, if all it takes to be an NHL player is to play in the NHL then why bother having a farm team?

You get NHL experience when you are ready for it. Not before. You give it to people before they are ready and you just ruin them. If they aren't ready for the leap, then they aren't ready for the leap. Doesn't matter how old they are, doesn't matter what we think, doesn't matter what other players, teams or organizations are doing. What matters is what this organization thinks. We don't know what goes on in the dressing room, we don't know what goes on during the road trips, we don't know what goes on during the practices or in the one-on-one discussions with the players themselves. By most accounts Beaulieu and Tinordi aren't even dominating at the AHL level ("Lefevbre, blah, blah, blah!"). So maybe they just aren't ready to be full-time NHL players.

Bergevin has done a pretty good job of building up the organization's support system for young players, how about we let them do their jobs?

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014
Personally, I hate all this "they need to get NHL experience" talk. If that were true, then you might as well take a Peewee player and put them in the NHL so they can get NHL experience. I mean, if all it takes to be an NHL player is to play in the NHL then why bother having a farm team?

You get NHL experience when you are ready for it. Not before. You give it to people before they are ready and you just ruin them. If they aren't ready for the leap, then they aren't ready for the leap. Doesn't matter how old they are, doesn't matter what we think, doesn't matter what other players, teams or organizations are doing. What matters is what this organization thinks. We don't know what goes on in the dressing room, we don't know what goes on during the road trips, we don't know what goes on during the practices or in the one-on-one discussions with the players themselves. By most accounts Beaulieu and Tinordi aren't even dominating at the AHL level ("Lefevbre, blah, blah, blah!"). So maybe they just aren't ready to be full-time NHL players.

Bergevin has done a pretty good job of building up the organization's support system for young players, how about we let them do their jobs?

stop using reason they don't like it here

booloo looked good last game but hasn't been great most of the season and tinordi i thought was the more ready of the two, but i guess the organization feels different because boiloo gets the call ups

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
To me it's the other way around.

We need D to have a cup window to begin with. An entire team needs to be in a "prime" of sorts. It doesn't matter if Price is in his prime, the team needs to support him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We were in the conference finals last year were they ready then?

Would we have beaten nrw york if Tinordi and Beaulieu had been prepared?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad