Will Murray get Calder consideration??

BlueJackets66

May 3, 2007
Was just thinking that RM has had a pretty good rookie campaign so far with +/- and Pts as compared to some of the other rookies including McCkinnion (Sp). Just wanted to see what your objective thoughts were and if RM has a strong finish do you honestly think he can with the Calder??

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He'd have to score at a ridiculous pace to get consideration. The competition is really strong this year. Lots of super rookies, and defencemen who aren't top scorers really can't win when there are superstar forwards like Mackinnon piling up points. A flashy player like Trouba has a better chance, which I think is actually justified, because he's lead Winnipeg's offence at key times, this is not something we've seen from Murray. Even when he had those 8 assists in 10 games it was mostly accessory.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He'd have to score at a ridiculous pace to get consideration. The competition is really strong this year. Lots of super rookies, and defencemen who aren't top scorers really can't win when there are superstar forwards like Mackinnon piling up points. A flashy player like Trouba has a better chance, which I think is actually justified, because he's lead Winnipeg's offence at key times, this is not something we've seen from Murray. Even when he had those 8 assists in 10 games it was mostly accessory.

Barrett Jackman was the last defenseman to win the Calder without dominant numbers offensively...

But, I'll debate that while Murray hasn't been flashy, he's been making the smart, consistent play - not being an accessory, but just not making dazzling standout moves. The one that sticks out in my mind is the blueline to blueline pass that sent Johansen in on a breakaway. That takes a ridiculous amount of vision, timing, and skill to do ... let alone during a game and in a rush.

To answer the question: No, Murray won't get Calder consideration. But, in 3-4 years, you might start to hear Norris talk. I think this year's Calder race is down to MacKinnon and Johnson (the talk of Spokane); whoever is in third place will be a distant third. My guess is Tomas Hertl.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
nope. As for who could be the 3rd candidate theresanother Lightning player moving his way up the list in Palat. Im sure Trouba will gets some recognition since he plays up here and is flashy

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Getting considered, yes. He might get a vote or two. But for finishing top 3 and being nominated, nope. Even if he finishes strong, a lot of other rookies would get the nod. Just looking at rookie defensemen, Krug, Maatta, Trouba, and Lindholm might finish ahead of Murray because of their stats and who they play for.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Agreed. As has been said, it is no shame on Murray. He just happens to be a rookie in a strong rookie year.

He might not be considered, but in a few years he could very well be the toast of the crop.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Great year for him, but McKinnon is a beast with Crosby like upside. I love what we have in our youth, and I think Ryan is a top pairing guy long term.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think he's got a great shot to be on the All Rookie team but beyond that very little Calder mention. As well as he's played, he isn't flashy and people still look at point totals for some judging. Much harder for a 2-way d-man to win a Calder in my opinion.

I don't care though. I think he's showing he's got a chance to be a top line d-man for a LONG time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad