Will McDavid hit 100 assists this season?

Will McDavid hit 100 assists this season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think he does it.

I wonder if it was a private goal of his, ala potting 64 last season and winning the Rocket.

He’s just about at 1 APG for his entire career and he has 14 in his past 6.

Can’t doubt the guy. Mark me down for 100 assists in 80 games played (and a 4th consecutive Art Ross and 6th overall).

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Lemieux led the league in assists 3 times but was runner up to Gretzky 3 other times. He led the league in assists per game 6 times, and was runner up twice to Gretzky.

He's 2nd greatest playmaking forward (and offensive player), played in an even higher scoring era than McDavid, yet even couldn't hit 100 assists more than once.

I don't see how McDavid does it.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
McDavid just became the 4th fastest to 600 assists (616 games). The 3 ahead of him are Gretzky (416 games), Lemieux (514 games), and Orr (608 games). These 3 are the only ones to have 100 assists seasons. Would be very fitting to see McDavid join their company.

He needs 41 assists in 32 remaining games. Since he recovered from his injury this year he has 50 assists in his last 33 games. Its very doable.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I'm going to say no.....his 9 assists in last 2 games it skewing the pace I think....but it's certainly within reason

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Lemieux led the league in assists 3 times but was runner up to Gretzky 3 other times. He led the league in assists per game 6 times, and was runner up twice to Gretzky.

He's 2nd greatest playmaking forward (and offensive player), played in an even higher scoring era than McDavid, yet even couldn't hit 100 assists more than once.

I don't see how McDavid does it.

A lot of that is the usual what if game due to Lemieux failing to play more than 77 games in a season more than once, something McDavid is on course to do for a sixth time in nine seasons (he also played all 56 available in 2020-2021).

If he plays 80 this season, it will be his fifth season playing at least that amount. There’s a level of trust that comes into play here.

Since the start of 2020-2021, McDavid has 299 assists in his past 266 games. That’s 92 assists per 82 games. If we play the what if game that seems okay to play with everyone else (I’m still not a fan), he “paced” for 105 in 82 games in 2020-2021. He had 79 in 80 the following season. 89 last year while potting 64 goals.

So you’re correct to be cautious since he hasn’t hit that pace number yet. However…

His 59 in 48 personal games and through 50 team games this season is higher than his 48 in 48 and 51 in 50 last year. He has 49 in his past 32. He can take a 16% decline in his remaining 32 and still hit it. I think it’s looking good.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s McDavid, who knows? If he’s healthy and some opponents play backups and call-ups those last 10 games or so.. it’s possible.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
No, I don't think he does. He's on pace for 98 with the missing games.

The Oilers end the series on a back-to-back (why????) and I can't see McDavid playing both games. In fact, if the playoff order is already determined he might sit out both.

So I'm guessing 95ish assists in 78 games.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think he will but would love to see it. I also never thought he would ever score 153 points or 64 goals either though. I also never thought he would have a chance in hell of getting back into the scoring race this season. The guy just does keep doing things you think cannot be done so who knows.

Reactions: Gnome17

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
It took 12 assists in 4 games to get him just to a 100 assist pace

He needs 41 assists in 32 games, so he actually needs to accelerate the pace a bit to get it

It’s kinda similar to Matthews getting 70, it could happen but I very much doubt it, and the missed game or two hurts more cuz if he even had 3-4 assists that would’ve helped a lot

As it stands, I don’t see him doing it

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he does it.

I wonder if it was a private goal of his, ala potting 64 last season and winning the Rocket.

He’s just about at 1 APG for his entire career and he has 14 in his past 6.

Can’t doubt the guy. Mark me down for 100 assists in 80 games played (and a 4th consecutive Art Ross and 6th overall).
Part of me think he does do it but thsoe 2 missed games means that at his current pace he will hit 98.

Of course he does well historically later in the season and his PPG has gone up recently but scoring also might come down a bit so it's going to be really freaking close.

Voted no because that's the (house) money bet.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It took 12 assists in 4 games to get him just to a 100 assist pace

He needs 41 assists in 32 games, so he actually needs to accelerate the pace a bit to get it

It’s kinda similar to Matthews getting 70, it could happen but I very much doubt it, and the missed game or two hurts more cuz if he even had 3-4 assists that would’ve helped a lot

As it stands, I don’t see him doing it

He has 49 assists in his past 32 games. So no, his pace can decline during the remaining 32 and he can still do it.

Take out the 12 assists in his most recent 4 games and his pace over the prior 28 would still do it.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I'd like to see him do it. It'd be pretty damn insane to follow up a 60+ goal 150 point season with a 100 assist season. He's already in a stratosphere of his own beside the two freaks, but this would slam the door on anybody else below him. He'd basically be in a demigod tier with those two accolades under his belt.

Reactions: WingsFan95

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He has 49 assists in his past 32 games. So no, his pace can decline during the remaining 32 and he can still do it.

Take out the 12 assists in his most recent 4 games and his pace over the prior 28 would still do it.
Sorry, I was just looking total but that does include the first 10 games so yea it looked lower than it was

With this info in mind, i get closer to yes but still I’m very skeptical even if his pace over the past 28 has been that level, even a 4-5 game mini slump could really mess his chances up but he’s proved me wrong (60+ goals, 150+ points) so maybe I’m just hating lol

Maybe it’s just something I’ll be skeptical about until he does it

The fact we can even have this conversation still speaks volumes to his skill

Reactions: Video Nasty

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Sorry, I was just looking total but that does include the first 10 games so yea it looked lower than it was

With this info in mind, i get closer to yes but still I’m very skeptical even if his pace over the past 28 has been that level, even a 4-5 game mini slump could really mess his chances up but he’s proved me wrong (60+ goals, 150+ points) so maybe I’m just hating lol

Maybe it’s just something I’ll be skeptical about until he does it

The fact we can even have this conversation still speaks volumes to his skill

Fair enough. There’s no question that he has had more slumps this season compared to last season for instance, but he’s also the most reliable point collector since Gretzky and Lemieux.

For instance, after 4 pointless games in his first 20 last season, he registered at least a point in 59 of his remaining 62 games.

After 5 pointless games in his first 14 games this season (a very clear explanation for it), he has notched at least a point in 31 of his past 34. He is very much back to normal and normal lately has been flirting with 2 PPG.

I respect needing to see it happen. But if anyone has earned some benefit of the doubt with these what if paces, I think it’s him.

No question if he slumps again for a 5 game stretch with the amount of time remaining that his chances take a significant hit.

I firmly feel he’s winning the Art Ross again with 40 goals/100 assists/140 points in 80 games.

At worst, we have witnessed a hell of a ride with 3 outstanding players.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
McDavid just became the 4th fastest to 600 assists (616 games). The 3 ahead of him are Gretzky (416 games), Lemieux (514 games), and Orr (608 games). These 3 are the only ones to have 100 assists seasons. Would be very fitting to see McDavid join their company.

He needs 41 assists in 32 remaining games. Since he recovered from his injury this year he has 50 assists in his last 33 games. Its very doable.

Yes very fitting, the 3 best players of all-time, McDavid is already 4th (ok tracking for the karens) and this would just cement him being in that tier

Only time will time will reveal where McDavid should be in that ranking... sure he won't break the raw totals records but when you consider eras, he's absolutely in that tier IMO.

A lot of that is the usual what if game due to Lemieux failing to play more than 77 games in a season more than once, something McDavid is on course to do for a sixth time in nine seasons (he also played all 56 available in 2020-2021).

Since his sophomore season, he'd have played less than 95% (78/82) of his team's games only once in 8 seasons, which was in 2019-20, 64 games out of 71

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad