Will Logan Brown be traded?

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
If you listen to all the twitter chatter, it seems or seemed like a forgone conclusion that Logan Brown was headed west once training camp opens in August. The belief was/is that he won't report to Niagara, and that after day one of training camp the Dogs will claim him defected. They'll get the compensatory 1st round pick and then trade his rights for a boatload of draft picks. A some would suggest there is already a deal in place.

With Niagara returning every player from last years roster minus Eric Ming, and are able to return everyone the following year minus Luke Mercer and Billy Jenkins it seems as though the move to select Brown and move him for a bunch if assets makes total sense. The Dogs can use those assets at the deadline this year and/or next year to load up and make a run.

Although, the management from Niagara made the trip to Indiana to meet the family and Jeff Brown said at his press conference when hired by Ottawa that Logan will play in Niagara this season. Still nobody believes it, and it appears to be everyone saying the right thing to make the OHL brass happy.

Turn the clock forward to today... the Dogs signed 2nd round pick Christopher Paquette. Marty Williamson was asked about the Logan Brown situation....

From the St.Catharines Standard:

Sixth overall pick Logan Brown is still a question mark and the IceDogs expect to meet with him and his father, former NHLer Jeff Brown, next week.

“He said things have changed a little bit and he seems to be a little more open now that his father is coaching in Ottawa in the east,” Williamson said.

Logan Brown will tour Governor Simcoe and the new arena during his visit.

“It’s taking baby steps with him, but they’ve appreciated our approach that we haven’t put pressure or deadlines on anything,” Williamson said. “We have all summer.”

If it's a forgone conclusion that he won't report, why come to meet everyone, tour the new arena and the high school that Dogs players attend? Up until this point it made sense to do and say all the right things for the OHL's benefit. But, why continue to play the game if there is no chance of him
signing?

Last edited:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
To answer your question, there is a chance of him signing. It might not be for this season but maybe next year. Remember what Marty said: "His agent said not to draft him....so I drafted him".

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
To answer your question, there is a chance of him signing. It might not be for this season but maybe next year. Remember what Marty said: "His agent said not to draft him....so I drafted him".
Why would he bother waiting a year?

He was reportedly told he made the NTDP outright yet did not accept the offer (still one or two forward spots open, but I doubt he's looking at that as he's not at the Select 16 camp with many others who were at NTDP camp and have yet to accept/be offered spots and will be attending the Hockey Canada U17 camp instead) and is not on any USHL team's protected list (could easily be added, but the family is moving to Ottawa so I'm not sure he'd want to stay, especially after almost jumping to the JRC mid-season), so his options look kind of limited there.
I guess he could play in the CCHL, but it seems kind of pointless since the family seems set on the OHL route now.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Looks like the two sides will make a decision by Aug 8th....

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/07/18/icedogs-still-in-the-hunt-for-brown

“Things have changed,†Williamson said. “Originally they were living in St. Louis and their son wanted to play in the west. When we drafted him, Jeff didn’t have the job in Ottawa and now he does.â€

Jeff Brown visited the new Merdian Centre recently.

“He loved it. He thought it was the perfect size,†Williamson said. “He was extremely impressed with everything. He really enjoyed the tour and enjoyed the dressing room. I could see they were excited.

“He was blown away by the rink. The seats were going in so you could see a little jump in his stride.â€

“We’re still hopeful it’s going down the right road,†Williamson said, “We’ve said after our meeting the first week of August we would need to come to an agreement on what we’re doing. That’s after I’ve seen him play, after they’ve come down and I’ve talked to Logan face-to-face. They are going to come in and see the school and the arena and the whole bit. Do the whole thing you normally do with a first round kid.

“They’ve thrown August 8.(At that point) we’ll both agree or agree to disagree.â€

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Looks like the two sides will make a decision by Aug 8th....

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/07/18/icedogs-still-in-the-hunt-for-brown

“Things have changed,†Williamson said. “Originally they were living in St. Louis and their son wanted to play in the west. When we drafted him, Jeff didn’t have the job in Ottawa and now he does.â€

Jeff Brown visited the new Merdian Centre recently.

“He loved it. He thought it was the perfect size,†Williamson said. “He was extremely impressed with everything. He really enjoyed the tour and enjoyed the dressing room. I could see they were excited.

“He was blown away by the rink. The seats were going in so you could see a little jump in his stride.â€

“We’re still hopeful it’s going down the right road,†Williamson said, “We’ve said after our meeting the first week of August we would need to come to an agreement on what we’re doing. That’s after I’ve seen him play, after they’ve come down and I’ve talked to Logan face-to-face. They are going to come in and see the school and the arena and the whole bit. Do the whole thing you normally do with a first round kid.

“They’ve thrown August 8. (At that point) we’ll both agree or agree to disagree.â€

Who visited the arena it said Jeff visited the arena but also says

“He was extremely impressed with everything. He really enjoyed the tour and enjoyed the dressing room. I could see they were excited.

Wouldn't it be easier to say Logan visited the facilities instead of Jeff? I know the dad has to be recruited as well just sounds odd.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

So if he signs you can expect to hear about it ...probably mid week. If he doesn't you won't hear at all. He can't be traded until he doesn't show at training camp. If you hear nothing by mid week (that goes for the other two as well) you better believe the GM's will be working on the best deals they can make.
Once he/they don't show at camp the team(s) declare them 'defected' and will deal them quickly so they can use the acquired picks in other deals.....

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
So if he signs you can expect to hear about it ...probably mid week. If he doesn't you won't hear at all. He can't be traded until he doesn't show at training camp. If you hear nothing by mid week (that goes for the other two as well) you better believe the GM's will be working on the best deals they can make.
Once he/they don't show at camp the team(s) declare them 'defected' and will deal them quickly so they can use the acquired picks in other deals.....

Thanks

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Unfortunately Saginaw has become one of no go places in the O, Kingston,Peterborough used to be, now the Spirit and Sudbury are the main ones, at least that's the word out there

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Ya need good leadership at the top and both def have question marks HL. Agreed, they are the no go's for now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad