Will Lemieux & Yzerman take themselves off the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
As the time is getting closer, do you think the older guys will still be on the team in a little over a month when the roster is announced? I really don't see Stevie Y. going this time and even though Lemieux is doing okay with 6 goals and some assists with the Pens, I wonder if he will want the Olympic grind overseas in Feb. at 40. Any thoughts?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if either player pulled out.

Lemieux made the comment earlier that if the Pens were in the playoff race, he would pull himself out of the Olympics, so that he could save himself for the stretch and the playoffs, especially considering some of the flak he received from some Pens' fans last time around (where he didn't return to the Pens lineup after the Olympics).

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I would definetly say that Yzerman will pull out, I don't think he'll be well enough or good enough, and he's a big enough person to realize that.

Lemieux still will probably go in my opinion, but if what Tricolor says is true he might not, though I don't see Pittsburgh challenging for the playoffs, unless they have one hell of a month of hockey here.

greatwhite101*

I hope not. Cause if they play Russians will win gold!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Lemieux can go, as long as he plays exclusively on the PP

When I think about it, I would probably rather have Yzerman there, since he can play responsibly at both ends.

Having Yzerman take the place of a grinder would be far less tragic than having Lemieux bump a young guy like Spezza, Crosby, or Staal IMO

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
roshiajin said:
if they don't Canada is screwed

Now here's a great exageration if I've ever heard one.

Stevie Y will probably pull out. He's too classie.

Mario will play. He'll be better as the season goes on and he has the ability to raise his play in these tournaments. He even throws his body around and plays defense on these special occassions. He'll be there and I expect him to raise to the occassion as usual. It'll be his last time in the red and white.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Lemieux made the comment earlier that if the Pens were in the playoff race, he would pull himself out of the Olympics, so that he could save himself for the stretch and the playoffs, especially considering some of the flak he received from some Pens' fans last time around (where he didn't return to the Pens lineup after the Olympics).

Lemieux didn't say that. It was reported by a blog, it was never reported by the Pittsburgh press or TSN or any other outlet. I have never seen a direct quote from Lemieux or have heard him say he will pull out of the Olympic team.

If he did say that, it would have been all over the press.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Look I love Yzerman. I still feel bad that he was cut in '87 and especially '91, but to me he's not the same player anymore. There are too many good players on Canada right now to have Yzerman there. If he is there I hope its as a checker then we wont have to have one less scorer since we wouldnt need Peca or Draper anymore. In my opinion Gretzky was stupid to "guarantee" him a spot. Come one Wayne this is the Olypmics we shouldnt have any sentimental favourites. This wont be a cake walk everyone is going to weant to beat us and each team will bring their "A" game so no screwing around by picking up another 40 year old for the team.

Lemieux on the other hand might be a better choice. He can still play and even though he is a shadow of his former self put him with the right players and he'll shine.

I'm just afraid of Wayne being sentimental, we already have a log jam at centre with Sakic Richards, Lecavalier, Thornton and Lemieux so its going to be hard to find room for guys like Staal, Spezza or Crosby.

joe_shannon_1983*

clefty said:
If Canada are smart, they'll put Lemieux on the wing.

I am sure he will be put on the wing. He has played the wing the past two tournaments.

He will probably line up beside Sakic and Iginla. If not them, then perhaps Thornton and Bertuzzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad