Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Likely not

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I’m sure a lot of hockey fans hate to see EK’s resurgence season go to waste on a barely NHL level roster. Even more impressive he’s still top 10 in scoring (though he’s been a bit snake bitten lately). What’s his chances of getting picked up by another team this season despite the contract?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
No. Cap hit too high and too many years left. Contracts like his are extremely difficult to make work in a trade, even if the player is worth it.

Reactions: jcs0218

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If the Sharks can find a suitor, they would be wise to do so. His current value is probably at its peak.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
At his full cap hit I can't see it happening, nobody has the space to fit him in. If San Jose retained they might get a decent return for him. A lot of teams would be willing to bring him on for a 6 mill cap hit I'm guessing.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Not during the season, too much cap involved. Maybe the offseason, especially if the cap goes up as predicted. Of course, this all assumes Karlsson wants to be traded.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m sure a lot of hockey fans hate to see EK’s resurgence season go to waste on a barely NHL level roster. Even more impressive he’s still top 10 in scoring (though he’s been a bit snake bitten lately). What’s his chances of getting picked up by another team this season despite the contract?
If SJ were smart they should capitalize on it. This is likely the highest his value will ever be, and there’s approx a 0% chance they’ll be competing anytime soon.

Take back another brutal contract and collect some draft picks or bite the bullet and retain a ton

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
If SJ were smart they should capitalize on it. This is likely the highest his value will ever be, and there’s approx a 0% chance they’ll be competing anytime soon.

Take back another brutal contract and collect some draft picks or bite the bullet and retain a ton

I figure taking on a lesser player with another bad contract + a couple of draft picks could be smart. If they’re not planning to compete within EK’s contract they don’t really have much to lose. And for another team in a win now situation getting rid of some dead meat on a lousy contract for an EK on fire very well could be worth those draft picks in this cycle cap era.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I figure taking on a lesser player with another bad contract + a couple of draft picks could be smart. If they’re not planning to compete within EK’s contract they don’t really have much to lose. And for another team in a win now situation getting rid of some dead meat on a lousy contract for an EK on fire very well could be worth those draft picks in this cycle cap era.
Yeah if I were Florida and be looking long at hard at the cost of trading Bob for Karlsson. That would VASTLY improve their team. Problem is I’m not sure they have the draft capital or prospects anymore to get it done.

Reactions: Ben White

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
No. Cap hit too high and too many years left. Contracts like his are extremely difficult to make work in a trade, even if the player is worth it.
My thoughts exactly.

Plus, is anyone confident that his resurgence this season has the ability to last for a few years?

I think this is one last resurgence for him, and that he goes back to his 2019-2022 form in the not-so-distant future.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
If SJS would initiate a real rebuild and take on 50% of that cap hit, I'm sure the right offer could be made to move him. Likely won't happen though.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If Karlsson can stay healthy for the season, I think waiting until the summer will be the way to go. Contracts will end the cap goes up. On the flip side if you can get real value for EK, move him immediately.

It also means the Sharks can retain on both of Meier and Reimer to maximize their value at the deadline. Then they retain on Barbanov the next year, and labanc the following.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad