Will Hughes & Kakko become version 2.0 of Matthews & Laine during their rookie seasons?

Will Hughes & Kakko become version 2.0 of Matthews & Laine during their rookie seasons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Next season once Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko are in the NHL does anyone think it will become a version 2.0 like we saw during the rookie seasons of Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine? The similarities are Hughes is American and is projected to go 1st overall, which is what happened with Matthews. Kakko is from Finland and is projected to be 2nd overall just like Laine did. The only difference is both players are projected to be division rivals assuming both the Devils and Rangers don't trade the 1st and 2nd overall picks. So will it become another Calder debate all season between both players or not?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Both are good players and I do expect them to compete for the Calder. I think this time, the Finnish player will be better though

Reactions: Ukki

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
How?

Very different style of players, Hughes is much smaller than Matthews.. Only one not playing In mens league d-1 is Hughes while 3 others did.

Very different looking top 2

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think they'll be fighting for the Calder this season but I don't know that they'll surpass the impact that Matthews and Laine had in their rookie year. And they'll have stiff competition from Makar, Q. Hughes and maybe even a kid like Glass.

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
No because Kakko's rookie season will be 19-20 season and Hughes' rookie season will be 20-21.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Other than being American and Finnish, no. Kakko is a 2 way player and Hughes is a play-making, unreal skater.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No, for the single fact that the fanbases were Canadian and the Canadian media produces the vast majority of NHL content.

They won't get nearly the same amount of press in the states and while they will be covered, it won't be covered in Canada as it was before.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No, for the single fact that the fanbases were Canadian and the Canadian media produces the vast majority of NHL content.

They won't get nearly the same amount of press in the states and while they will be covered, it won't be covered in Canada as it was before.
The only difference is the Rangers and Devils are division rivals and both fan bases have a historic rivalry. The Leafs and Jets are not in the same conference and it's Jets fans that think they are a rival of the Leafs.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
They will not. Matthews and Laine were NHL ready in their draftyear and Kappo seems to be that too. Hughes is far from NHL ready currently and won’t be the impact player he is projected to be in the future during his first season or two. He still might end up having the best career out of these four , even though I highly doubt it

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, Kakko will be clearly better than Hughes during their rookie seasons. Hughes looks like he's not even ready to play vs men - struggled mightily vs Liiga players - while Kakko looks dominant against NHLers. Things can change during the summer, but I doubt they would change that much. After all, Kakko even is on the stronger upwards trajectory.

For Hughes, at WHC I've been surprised how easily and often he's been pushed off the puck. He's not been able to use his skating to evade hits as advertized. Add a smaller rink and a lot needs to happen over the summer. It's indeed possible he can play a sheltered role, but I expect Kakko to do much more than that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How?

Very different style of players, Hughes is much smaller than Matthews.. Only one not playing In mens league d-1 is Hughes while 3 others did.

Very different looking top 2

Matthews didnt play in a mens league in his D+1. He missed the deadline to be drafted in 2015 so he had to play 1 more year and the chose a mens league.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There is never perfect duplication in hockey so why would it start now?

If they go to NJ and NYR that's a rival Calder race which could be a fun story.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
That's like if people asked if Crosby was going to be the next Lindros. (And i'm not talking about injuries or cringy interviews)
They're all totally different players. The only thing they have in common is their nationality.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Ironically, I am constantly reminded of Auston Matthews when I watch Kakko play. They skate the same way and protect the puck the same way. Big and very shifty players but not speed burners.

What I think will happen is NJD will not have the balls to pass on Hughes and NYR will get the better player in KK at 2.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No. The 2016 draft class was significantly better than the 2019 class and Matthews/Laine were both superior and more NHL ready prospects than Kakko and Hughes.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
No. The 2016 draft class was significantly better than the 2019 class and Matthews/Laine were both superior and more NHL ready prospects than Kakko and Hughes.
This is blatantly a false statement, specially regarding Matthews/Laine. Matthews/Hughes is up for debate personally (though I do lean Matthews). Kakko is clearly a superior prospect to Laine entering the draft for a variety of reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad