Will have a relocation of Kroenke's NFL team an impact on Avs?

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Has a team that won the Cup ever relocated? The closest I can think of is the Islanders moving to Brooklyn and the original Ottawa Senators moving to St. Louis.

Last edited:

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
That isn't the only reason. St Louis is a terrible city. It ranks at the very bottom of the nation economically for a large city. It has some of the highest crime rates in the country, and the fans are not appreciative of the NFL product. This is very indicative of the southern culture any way who prefer college football. St Louis was not selling out games. And lastly the residents would not help him build a new stadium.

LA was a no brainer in every conceivable way. The Rams came from LA originally so it's kind of like them going back home. Denver does not have any of the issues I just brought up with St Louis. First and foremost, we have a thriving economy and thanks to Marijuana, are at the top of the country in relation to our size. We didn't give him any reason not to want to stay either, we helped build the stadium he wanted. Avs aren't going any where for a long long time.

I forgot to mention the Nuggets to which he owns and which share the Pepsi Center. It simply wouldn't make sense financially to move one and not the other, so they basically tether each other.

St. Louis isn't really "southern" FWIW.

cl76

Aug 25, 2008
Has a team that won the Cup ever relocated? The closest I can think of is the Islanders moving to Brooklyn and the original Ottawa Senators moving to St. Louis.

Nope. You suggested the Islanders but to be honest Brooklyn is part of Long Island so I'm not sure it really amounts to more than say the AVs moving from McNichols Arena to the Pepsi Center.

The conversation regarding relocation is largely driven by Canadian and New York media but once a team has won a cup, they are exempt from scrutiny....unless they are below the Mason-Dixon Line...the Canes have won a Cup but there are still stories that appear every year suggesting they should be relocated. To shut these folks up I've got an idea....if a team hasn't won a cup in 30 years they are automatically required to relocate. The Maple Leafs would be in Quebec right now but would probably have to start checking real estate prices in Lethbridge in the next 5 or so years.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I've lived in Nashville, Western Kentucky, mid-MO (Sedalia), and Kansas City.

Kansas City wasn't southern at all. You get 45 mins or so outside of KC, and it becomes Southern. But MO still pales in comparison to Western KY and TN.

Driving along I-70 you start to feel like you're starting to hit the south when you make a turn off on to I-64 towards Evansville. I remember the first time chuckling a little bit when I stopped for gas in Evansville and the guy sounded straight up like Forest Gump.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
That isn't the only reason. St Louis is a terrible city. It ranks at the very bottom of the nation economically for a large city. It has some of the highest crime rates in the country, and the fans are not appreciative of the NFL product. This is very indicative of the southern culture any way who prefer college football. St Louis was not selling out games. And lastly the residents would not help him build a new stadium.

LA was a no brainer in every conceivable way. The Rams came from LA originally so it's kind of like them going back home. Denver does not have any of the issues I just brought up with St Louis. First and foremost, we have a thriving economy and thanks to Marijuana, are at the top of the country in relation to our size. We didn't give him any reason not to want to stay either, we helped build the stadium he wanted. Avs aren't going any where for a long long time.

I forgot to mention the Nuggets to which he owns and which share the Pepsi Center. It simply wouldn't make sense financially to move one and not the other, so they basically tether each other.

Sorry to jump in but I can't tell you how much this angers me. We did try to help him build a new stadium. We tried to help him build 2 stadiums in a 20 year span. Which would have been unprecedented. And he left.

They sold out every game from 95 until 2007. Fans had enough. They had the worst 5 year stretch in the HISTORY of the NFL, and they hadn't had a winning season since 2003. Add that to the fact that you have the worst owner in sports threatening to move, of course people aren't going to show up!

If it makes you feel good to trash this great city, fine. But don't be ignorant about it.

And St. Louis is about as southern as Edmonton.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Add that to the fact that you have the worst owner in sports threatening to move, of course people aren't going to show up!

I have nothing against the city of St. Louis. But I think you are confusing the word "sports" with "St. Louis" with that statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad