Speculation: Will future Sens vs. Wings be the 90's Detroit-Colorado ?

Will this be a huge rivalry ?

• Yes - and Sens will regret it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes - but nothing as COL vs. DET once was

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No - teams are poor, and both teams are just full of p***yes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No - Who are the Senators?

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • No - Sabres will DOMINATE both !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
If you look at the Sens prospect pool, it is really, really bad. The rankings that have them high up are still including guys like Stutzle who have been in the NHL for more than a year. There is a good chance at least one of their top players (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, Chabot) bolts as soon as they hit UFA. Chychrun already wants out, and his family's from Ottawa.

Ottawa knows what they are and keep overpaying young FAs with full-length deals. Giroux is old and they don't really have anyone to step into that slot.

Comparatively, Detroit already has more depth and more top-tier prospects at all positions on the way up.

So no, it's not even close to the same. Ottawa might make the playoffs a few times before they sink back to being a lottery team, but that's about it.

I expect Detroit to compete for a cup by 2030. If Ottawa is lucky they might win a playoff series or two by then. Maybe.
2030? Wut ?!???

You do realize half our core will be gone by then. If they don’t compete / win a cup by 27 then what are we even doing ?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ottawa sucks, and the Wings are 10 ply. Probably more comparable to Chicago in that era.

Keep in mind, the Avs weren't even in the same division

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Probably not. I don't see them being a viable consistent playoff threat long term. It's more likely Florida or Boston I would say that will. Because like Anaheim and San Jose when we were out west during our contention years always had to go through them.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Could be but nothing will match Detroit and Avs.

Love Dinos comment after the Draper hit..
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggin' hand after the game; that pisses me right off."

March 26th 1997, I get it out every now and then to watch. It could be one of the best hockeygames ever and not JUST for the fighting and le turtle but it was a REALLY good game too. Love the fact that Forberg and Larionov started the big brawl and that McCarty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad