Speculation: Will future Sens vs. Wings be the 90's Detroit-Colorado ?

Will this be a huge rivalry ?

• Yes - and Sens will regret it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes - but nothing as COL vs. DET once was

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No - teams are poor, and both teams are just full of p***yes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No - Who are the Senators?

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • No - Sabres will DOMINATE both !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This just came in my mind a while ago.

Two young teams, rebuilding teams. Everything will point out that we will face each other in the future.

Just like Quebec Nordiques moving to west created an instant rivalry. That laughing stock, which had been rebuilding for years, did enter to Conference, where Wings were starting to contend from another laughing stock.

Then at the 90's, Avalanche and Wings were both contenders, and that did start a blood battle for years. Five playoff series, Avs taking them 3-2, but Wings taking Stanley Cups 3-2 on their Golden eras together.

Now, Ottawa Senators and Detroit Red Wings, both are considered as future teams, but are already seeming to have these blood battles, before any success. It feels like a weird situation.

But man, what will happen, then the old contenders will fade from Atlantic Division and these two will take the charge?

Is Mathieu Joseph the next CLAUDE LEMIEUX ?

Already a blood battle, it could be something bigger in 5 years.

And then there's the Buffalo Sabres in the mix, as the "90's dallasstars".

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Has the potential to become a thing, but right now I don’t think it is pretty overblown.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think it's really possible for anything to be that nowadays

the league is just too different
You also can’t have that level of star studded teams in a post cap world.

The amount of HOfers on those teams is ridiculous.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You also can’t have that level of star studded teams in a post cap world.

The amount of HOfers on those teams is ridiculous.

Sens still a bit reminds me of a former Avs, like having better "star players" like Sakic and Forsberg, but not having the depth like Wings.

And I just see this as future core.

Forsberg vs. Lidström was the battle of Sweden and Stûtzle vs. Seider will be the battle of Germany between these great talents. :D

Fun times ahead.

Mathieu Joseph = Claude....

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Had potential. Senators don't have much to play for and Red Wings want the win.

I hyped it up after the Larkin injury, but time hasn't been good to the Senators since then. They might be one of the most disappointing teams this year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
No. Wings need to get better and the Sens need to get MUCH better.

Plus the league is very different nowadays. Nothing will come close to Avs-Wings rivalry.

Reactions: FMichael

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think the Sens will find another rivalry before they get good. Probably the Sabres or Montreal.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If you look at the Sens prospect pool, it is really, really bad. The rankings that have them high up are still including guys like Stutzle who have been in the NHL for more than a year. There is a good chance at least one of their top players (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, Chabot) bolts as soon as they hit UFA. Chychrun already wants out, and his family's from Ottawa.

Ottawa knows what they are and keep overpaying young FAs with full-length deals. Giroux is old and they don't really have anyone to step into that slot.

Comparatively, Detroit already has more depth and more top-tier prospects at all positions on the way up.

So no, it's not even close to the same. Ottawa might make the playoffs a few times before they sink back to being a lottery team, but that's about it.

I expect Detroit to compete for a cup by 2030. If Ottawa is lucky they might win a playoff series or two by then. Maybe.

Last edited:

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
If you look at the Sens prospect pool, it is really, really bad. The rankings that have them high up are still including guys like Stutzle who have been in the NHL for more than a year. There is a good chance at least one of their top players (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, Chabot) bolts as soon as they hit UFA. Chychrun already wants out, and his family's from Ottawa.

Ottawa knows what they are and keep overpaying young UFAs with full-length deals. Giroux is old and they don't really have anyone to step into that slot.

Comparatively, Detroit already has more depth and more top-tier prospects at all positions on the way up.

So no, it's not even close to the same. Ottawa might make the playoffs a few times before they sink back to being a lottery team, but that's about it.

I expect Detroit to compete for a cup by 2030. If Ottawa is lucky they might win a playoff series or two by then. Maybe.
Their prospect pool went from one of the best to one of the worst because the majority of their prospects succesfully became contributing NHL players. Their C core of Stützle, Pinto and Norris averages age 23, they still have at least 10 years of high end hockey in their tank, while the D core of Chychrun, Chabot, Sanderson and Zub averages age 25.
I'm not including the wingers consisting of Tkachuk (24), Batherson (25) and Greig (21) as Giroux and Tarasenko exist as well, indeed proving that they aren't as deep on the wing.

What I'm trying to say is that having a deep prospect pool doesn't mean shit if they don't become good NHL players, and you are taking a big risk if you try to make an argument that the Red Wings have prospects that would graduate to be as good or better than Stützle and Sanderson.

The Red Wings are and will probably continue to be deeper, but they lack the high end talent that Ottawa has imo. They are also a much older team on average, especially the core players currently.

Also, as someone who follows Ottawa as well, Chychrun doesn't want out. He made it clear that these rumors are bs -- this doesn't negate the possibility of Ottawa looking to move some players however (like Chychrun and Tarasenko).

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Their prospect pool went from one of the best to one of the worst because the majority of their prospects succesfully became contributing NHL players. Their C core of Stützle, Pinto and Norris averages age 23, they still have at least 10 years of high end hockey in their tank, while the D core of Chychrun, Chabot, Sanderson and Zub averages age 25.
I'm not including the wingers consisting of Tkachuk (24), Batherson (25) and Greig (21) as Giroux and Tarasenko exist as well, indeed proving that they aren't as deep on the wing.

What I'm trying to say is that having a deep prospect pool doesn't mean shit if they don't become good NHL players, and you are taking a big risk if you try to make an argument that the Red Wings have prospects that would graduate to be as good or better than Stützle and Sanderson.

The Red Wings are and will probably continue to be deeper, but they lack the high end talent that Ottawa has imo. They are also a much older team on average, especially the core players currently.

Also, as someone who follows Ottawa as well, Chychrun doesn't want out. He made it clear that these rumors are bs -- this doesn't negate the possibility of Ottawa looking to move some players however (like Chychrun and Tarasenko).
Whatever gives you hope for the future, man.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Neither of these teams can sniff those 90's teams. A regular season rivalry between bottom feeders won't be remembered. Plus, brawls don't happen in today's NHL.

Also, the Red Wings and Avalanche were both relatively older teams. Not young teams.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Nothing will ever get to Avs vs Wings, closest was Wings vs Pens. Can you imagine if we were in the eastern conference with the Penguins during those years? Would have been crazy.

I guess Hawk vs Wings was ok for a while, but they were the rising team while we were a falling team, a good rivalry is when both are at their peak.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
It is much more likely the Senators embody the late 00s Nashville Predators.

Overrated Pretenders that think they can hang with the big boys but are really just pests.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I will accept no Pekka Rinne slander. Pekka Rinne was the f***in man.

Like Chris Mason or any of those other benders? Go to town.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
This just came in my mind a while ago.

Two young teams, rebuilding teams. Everything will point out that we will face each other in the future.

Just like Quebec Nordiques moving to west created an instant rivalry. That laughing stock, which had been rebuilding for years, did enter to Conference, where Wings were starting to contend from another laughing stock.

Then at the 90's, Avalanche and Wings were both contenders, and that did start a blood battle for years. Five playoff series, Avs taking them 3-2, but Wings taking Stanley Cups 3-2 on their Golden eras together.

Now, Ottawa Senators and Detroit Red Wings, both are considered as future teams, but are already seeming to have these blood battles, before any success. It feels like a weird situation.

But man, what will happen, then the old contenders will fade from Atlantic Division and these two will take the charge?

Is Mathieu Joseph the next CLAUDE LEMIEUX ?

Already a blood battle, it could be something bigger in 5 years.

And then there's the Buffalo Sabres in the mix, as the "90's dallasstars".

Polls are better when they come along naturally, Henkka. This is you trying to force one. The Sabres are garbage and will always be garbage. They actually hit on a lot of young talent and had Tage Thompson morph into a legitimate stud. And they're still looking up at Detroit in the standings. They should be further in their rebuild than we are... and they just aren't. They've got nothing in net. The 90s Stars had Eddie Eagle who bled into Marty Turco.

Senators have a couple good young players... and Tkachuk is damn good... but no. And Claude Lemieux, for as much of a shit as he was as a dirty player and a guy... was really really good at hockey.

Reactions: Snuggs

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
On the flip side, having a couple of really good pieces doesn't mean shit if you can't build around them.

Zub is 28 and they have no internal RHD help on the way. Giroux is 47 and Tarasenko a hired gun, and internal winger depth is poor. Norris is an 8 million dollar player on pace for less points than Compher. And their goaltending is bad now and has no prospect depth.

Eventually they can't rely on Stützle, Sanderson and "vibes" to win games.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think DET are on their way up and I see OTT as a lifelong bottom feeder. If they are rivalries, I think they both need to be on the same level. I hope DET doesn't stay at the bottom with OTT.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Depends on if Ottawa can actually keep players and win instead of perpetually rebuilding. Already word that Chychrun wants out. DeBrincat forced a move. Doesn’t seem like a place ready to be a winner when have to keep overpaying for players to come in and sell them later because they hate it there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad