Will Erik Karlsson make the HOF?

Will Erik Karlsson make the HOF someday?

• Total voters

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
With no Cup (not the determining factor, but definitely influences the voters, as evidenced by Kevin Lowe) was he good enough to be a HHOF player? I think he’s on the fringe of getting in.
I say this as someone who thinks he'll get in, but serious question, has a D-man that's a career minus ever been inducted into the HHOF?

He's a career -53 and given his injuries I don't see him digging out of that hole over the remainder of his career.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I say this as someone who thinks he'll get in, but serious question, has a D-man that's a career minus ever been inducted into the HHOF?

He's a career -53 and given his injuries I don't see him digging out of that hole over the remainder of his career.

Phil Housley. There are probably others.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
After a stellar start to his career, he's basically been bad or mediocre in SJ. Will ~6 amazing years be enough to make him an HOFer?

I really don't think so. Among all D-men ever, he only ranks 37th for points in his career, and while he does have two Norris trophies.......he has never won a Cup, or a Conn Smythe, a Hart, etc. And now he looks to be fizzling out. 600+ points won't cut it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really don't think so. Among all D-men ever, he only ranks 37th for points in his career.

I like how you are advocating vociferously that Marleau should be in the HHoF and he is 50th in points among players in his career.

Patrick Marleau HHOF?

and while he does have two Norris trophies

As if this is some kind of minor accomplishment.

Holymakinaw said:
he has never won a Cup, or a Conn Smythe, a Hart, etc.

Like Mats Sundin.

At least Erik Karlsson had a peak where he was chosen as the best player at his position in the entire league on two occasions.

Mats is like Patrick Marleau only he got in a few seasons before the dead puck era to pad those stats.

As an additional basis for comparison, Erik Karlsson only needs to score 65 more points in his ENTIRE CAREER to hit 28th among defenceman, which is Sundin's ranking among players.

You've actually done a pretty good job in providing a rationale for why Sundin and Marleau shouldn't be in the HHoF.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I like how you are advocating vociferously that Marleau should be in the HHoF and he is 50th in points among players in his career.

Patrick Marleau HHOF?

As is this is some kind of minor accomplishment.

Like Mats Sundin.

At least Erik Karlsson had a peak where he was chosen as the best player at his position in the entire league on two occasions.

Mats is like Patrick Marleau only he got in a few seasons before the dead puck era to pad those stats.

As an additional basis for comparison, Erik Karlsson only needs to score 65 more points in his ENTIRE CAREER to hit 28th among defenceman, which is Sundin's ranking among players.

You've actually done a pretty good job in providing a rationale for why Sundin and Marleau shouldn't be in the HHoF.

One big MEH.

Sundin, at least, remains the highest scoring Swede of all time. Karlsson......not even close. And Marleau has played more games than any player in the history of the game. Karlsson........has two individual awards and nothing else.

You disagree. That's great.

Let me know where to send the cookie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One big MEH.

Sundin, at least, remains the highest scoring Swede of all time. Karlsson......not even close. And Marleau has played more games than any player in the history of the game. Karlsson........has two individual awards and nothing else.

So nothing here that contradicts anything I said.

Fair enough.

It’s one thing to “fizzle” out. It’s another to never burn in the first place.

Hopefully Karlsson can just keep adding seasons of games to his resume and that will get him in based on your criteria.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Every historical precedence suggests that Karlsson will be in the Hall of Fame.

The Norris trophy was first awarded in 1954. 16 retired/eligible players have been a finalist 4+ times. Every single one of them has been inducted to the Hall (full list - Bourque, Lidstrom, Orr, Harvey, Park, Potvin, Robinson, Chelios, Coffey, Pilote, MacInnis, Gadsby, Kelly, Pronger, Salming, Horton).

Karlsson is one of several active players with 4+ years as a Norris finalist (along with Chara, Hedman, and Doughty). There shouldn't be any doubt that all of them will get in.

Even with three years as a Norris finalist (ie one fewer than Karlsson has) almost always gets you into the Hall. Eight eligible defenseman are in (Stevens, Leetch, Howe, Niedermayer, Langway, Blake, Pronovost, Flaman). The only eligible player not inducted is Bill White. (And Karlsson has won two Norris trophies and was runner-up twice; White had three third-place finishes. Karlsson has already passed him in games played, and White never had a playoff run as strong as Karlsson's 2017). It's virtually certain Karlsson will get inducted.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
One big MEH.

Karlsson has 2 Norris’, an Olympic Silver (2014) in which he was named the best dman and led the tournament in points (tied with Kessel), he will likely be the 2nd highest Swedish dman of all time and should easily crack the top 15 of all time dman scoring. All that mixed with his ridiculous peak and his stellar playoff resume make him nothing short of unique and an easy first ballot. He also set the record for most points in a season by a Swedish dman with 82, a record that was previously held by Lidstrom.

Your agenda against everything Sens related has been blatantly obvious over the years though, so I guess this is par for the course.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This isn't even a question, that some try to make it still a debate is silly. Simply having 1 Norris is almost set, 1 person now earned one and didnt make it. To add 2, other offensively premire years to add that. Overrated, offense only, others should of won that Norris, Yadda, I've felt it too, but it doesn't change that he's going to be in the hhof.

P.K. Subban is the real discussion worthy case, because in his case it's a lot lower and I can see him waiting a long time like Doug Wilson, but if in being some hockey personality in retirement, he may finally earn better graces and get that nose

Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
Still can’t believe there were no more than a handful of no votes.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's crazy how people can't talk about Karlsson without hyperbole at both ends of the spectrum.

He did not revolutionize the position and he is no way the most important defenseman currently playing in the NHL. If this post were 5 years old, yes. Currently, not even close.
What? Seems like you misunderstood my post, reading comprehension would be useful on a forum. I didn't say he's the best player currently, but that he's the most important defenseman, historically, out of the ones currently playing in NHL.

And yes he did, if you look at all the modern puckmoving, skating defensemen, they'll have Erik Karlsson as their influence.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Karlsson has 2 Norris’, an Olympic Silver (2014) in which he was named the best dman and led the tournament in points (tied with Kessel), he will likely be the 2nd highest Swedish dman of all time and should easily crack the top 15 of all time dman scoring. All that mixed with his ridiculous peak and his stellar playoff resume make him nothing short of unique and an easy first ballot. He also set the record for most points in a season by a Swedish dman with 82, a record that was previously held by Lidstrom.

Your agenda against everything Sens related has been blatantly obvious over the years though, so I guess this is par for the course.

You've listed a bunch of accomplishments for those who might be very good, but never great. Congrats.

As for your last comment........Hey, it's not my fault that the HHOF never saw anything special in Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza & soon, Karlsson. Nothing to do with me. They clearly don't see whatever it is you are seeing.

:)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You've listed a bunch of accomplishments for those who might be very good, but never great. Congrats.

As for your last comment........Hey, it's not my fault that the HHOF never saw anything special in Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza & soon, Karlsson. Nothing to do with me. They clearly don't see whatever it is you are seeing.

:)
Obviously trolling because if not you have some heavy reasoning concerns.

Looks at the history of the Norris, sees 1 guy retired with 1 Norris, not in the hof. Yeah, see Karlsson with 2 Norrises, yeah that's totally never great. He's so easily gonna be a hofer it's funny how lame trolls can be

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Obviously trolling because if not you have some heavy reasoning concerns.

Looks at the history of the Norris, sees 1 guy retired with 1 Norris, not in the hof. Yeah, see Karlsson with 2 Norrises, yeah that's totally never great. He's so easily gonna be a hofer it's funny how lame trolls can be
I don't know why people even bother replying to this guy anymore, he's obviously a massive troll, and a really poor one at that.

peteyforharrt

Dec 14, 2020
I really don't think so. Among all D-men ever, he only ranks 37th for points in his career, and while he does have two Norris trophies.......he has never won a Cup, or a Conn Smythe, a Hart, etc. And now he looks to be fizzling out. 600+ points won't cut it.

Now Morgan Reilly on the other hand... that’s a hall of fame defenceman

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Now Morgan Reilly on the other hand... that’s a hall of fame defenceman

Well of course NO ONE ever said that. But have fun?

I love how sensitive some of you get, just from reading someone's opinion on a player. You don't have to agree with it, but try not to cry, okay? And the HHOF will end up supporting that opinion that made you so upset, and then what? Conspiracy?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Of course he will get in on the first ballot. The 2017 playoffs alone should cement his place. Only time in recent memory where a player who didn't make the finals had a case for the Conn Smythe.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Lol
2 Norris trophies and 2 runner ups definitely gets you in. Name a defenseman with Hardware like that ,that never got in.

Alfie also gets in, Selanne and Alfie have the most Olympics of any player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad