Will DL be the Kings' Franchise GM?

dogyekcoh*

Will DL be our franchise GM like Lou Lamoriello and Ken Holland?
With what he has done for our team, I would love to have DL for our GM as long as we can. DL brought with him a winning culture, and building this team to a champion caliber team that could last for a decade(I would not dare using the word dynasty yet).
He sure has my respect and admiration.
Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm interested to see what he does as the core ages. I can't imagine many GMs go in thinking they'll have much of a shelf life beyond several years. DL executed his 5 (6? :P) year plan almost perfectly and handled the bumps appropriately. Now, he's gotta look at what happens down the road--what do we do with the long-term contracts? What happens when/if the cap stagnates? What do you do when guys like Toffoli move beyond their ELC? I think this regime's ability to turn late draft picks into NHL players via development is great for long-term success--but what kept those iconic teams GMs in their positions was the ability to keep finding top-notch talent in teh absence of lottery picks. THAT will be the interesting long-term take. But yes, I think DL can do it--he's got the experience and time around the league and he's got a vision. No reason he gets axed unless we suddenly start missing the playoffs again or become first-round exits several years in a row.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
You can't argue at least not to me that Dean isnt the best gm in the history of the kings. The most interesting part of what Dean has done is set us up for years of winning hockey. I m not in any way saying the d word but winning and playoffs for the forseeable future for sure. I want to see what happens when he needs to replace core pieces like richard carter brown william etc. Does he keep them to the end or trade to get younger? i'm sure he has a plan but what is it to me that is the most interesting part of the future. In Dean i trust

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I want too see what Dean does when guys like Williams can't play at a high level anymore.

Dean is loyal too a fault it seems.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Keep Dean as long as he wants to do this job. He is by miles the best GM we have ever had and the first GM we ever had that I 100% fully trust. Never a worry in my mind when he is in charge and making the calls.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I want to see what DL'll pull off this offseason with the cap going up. Last year with the cap bs it seemed that he was trying to just maintain what he had. Tough spot no doubt.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
I want too see what Dean does when guys like Williams can't play at a high level anymore.

Well, Lubo might not share your opinion. And from all reports, the rumor of Brown being on the trading block a couple of years ago was true. So, yeah, he's loyal, but he is aware that players are assets.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think that it is a given that it is pretty much Lombardi's job for as long as he wants it now. He'll be a franchise GM as long as he is happy out here with the Kings. The ultimate test would be if the Boston Bruins ever came calling.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Well, Lubo might not share your opinion. And from all reports, the rumor of Brown being on the trading block a couple of years ago was true. So, yeah, he's loyal, but he is aware that players are assets.

I still don't buy this other than a rumor started by a few scouts talking during one of our home games . Lieweke pretty much said it was BS from the start, going as far as saying he went up to Brown and told him you're going nowhere.

As long as Dean continues to make this team a contender, it's really his job as long as he wants it.

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think that it is a given that it is pretty much Lombardi's job for as long as he wants it now. He'll be a franchise GM as long as he is happy out here with the Kings. The ultimate test would be if the Boston Bruins ever came calling.

Agreed. Given the trajectories of both franchises, I think we're safe.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Loyal? Teddy Purcell, Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Moulson, amongst others will disagree.

We can only speculate how data-driven the man is, but the fact that nearly all the deals and moves he's made align well to following the new-fangled stats tells me that he will trade his mother if it will improve statistically improve the team.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Loyal? Teddy Purcell, Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Moulson, amongst others will disagree.

We can only speculate how data-driven the man is, but the fact that nearly all the deals and moves he's made align well to following the new-fangled stats tells me that he will trade his mother if it will improve statistically improve the team.

Moulson was not traded, where do you people come up with this stuff ?

Moulson was an UFA for like the 34534905830485690348590834590 time.

How many times do people have too keep bringing this up ?

Moulson was even offered a contract by the Kings to return, he choose to leave too guarantee himself playing time.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
When I say loyal, I am talking about guys like Stoll, Brown, Williams ETC.

Lombardi has already overpaid to keep Stoll around....That's the type of loyalty I am talking about.

Lombardi didn't want to fire Terry Murray, made it sound like he forced too.

Can Lombardi curb that, too not make Cap mistakes and keep guys past their useful date.

dogyekcoh*

Through the past 5 years, Dean had shown that he will entertain any deal on any player as long as the deal is making sense. For an example, JJ for Carter deal, that was a core exchange deal with Columbus. Columbus get a core Dman and we get a core Forward. With these type of players/caliber Dean was patiently waited for the right deal, and also we already have a player in place to fill in that void spot. Hence Voynov.
Like his mentor Lou, Dean is a "Chess Master". Every move is calculated, and every move has to work, not just to address the current need, but it has to work with his long term vision/future plan as well.

I am sure when the time comes to trade Williams, Brown, Richards or even Kopitar or Doughty, Dean will makes that move as long as we got some one back in equal value or better accordingly to our needs.

The team we currently have right now is built to be like what Detroit, New Jersey, Colorado and Dallas were in late 90's and 00's. We've got Quick, a franchise Goalie like Roy, Brodeur and Belfort, a few star forwards like Kopitar, Carter, and Gaborik comparing to Forsberg, Sakic Modano, Federov back in those days. Now on D we are not quite as good as what the Devils and Wings had with the tandem of Stevens/ Neidermayer and Lidstrom/Konstantinov. However, in a few years, Dean might pull another magic and get us that punishing shut down Dman to complete our dream team.
In Dean we trust!

P.S. Thanks to Dean, we can finally get some respect and no longer be the Rodney Dangerfield of hockey.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

I think if he moves anyone he will ask them what teams they would prefer to go to first and see if they can do a deal, but it's a business and you can't please everyone. There are also bigger deals/trades where if you want the asset, you have make a deal you don't like. But overall, he has done a few players a solid like Gagner & Bernier ... I think DL would handle ageing players just fine. Not in every case obviously but I think he'll do what he can.

I'm not sure he is loyal to a fault but I do recognize keeping the right personality type around a locker room. If we're making too many trades and screw around with the chemistry too much, that would be a greater fault IMHO. Do the deals where you can get the most from your assets. If you can't, hold on til the timing is right. I wish the progress wasn't so arthritic all the time but the guy brought a competitive team in that has won the cup. He gets my buy in.

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
When I say loyal, I am talking about guys like Stoll, Brown, Williams ETC.

Lombardi has already overpaid to keep Stoll around....That's the type of loyalty I am talking about.

Lombardi didn't want to fire Terry Murray, made it sound like he forced too.

Can Lombardi curb that, too not make Cap mistakes and keep guys past their useful date.

It bodes well that he struck while the iron was hot with moving Jack Johnson, whom I believe was his first acquisition as our GM (might have been O'Sullivan, not sure, but the sentiment attached to Johnson was probably higher).

motalar

Feb 20, 2008
dalen

The Bruins job was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. Hopefully Chiarelli continues to have success there and sticks around.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
When you take a franchise that has never won a Cup in there 40 existence, that was lacking prospects at every position and never properly developed a #1 goalie then turn that franchise in a Stanley Cup team who has one of the deepest prospect pools and developed 2 NHL goalies (Quick and Bernier) in 6-7 years with a potential one in the making (Jones), you get free reign for years.

This will also be the 5th straight year we've made the playoffs. The longest stretch was the 73-82 Kings team, who made it 9 straight years and then again in the 80's we made it 7. So Lombardi is close to that record as well.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Yes! He should get a lifetime contract. Having DL as GM is the single best thing to ever happen to this franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad