Will depth players acquired by Murray have a leg up to make the roster?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was thinking about this reading through the roster speculation thread. With the depth up front there is speculation that a player besides Ellis who needs to clear waivers may get sent down. The players in question being Mitchell, Deslauriers, Kaleta and Flynn. I'm of the opinion that guys like Deslauriers and Mitchell are pretty safe since they were acquired by Murray.

Thoughts

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I was thinking about this reading through the roster speculation thread. With the depth up front there is speculation that a player besides Ellis who needs to clear waivers may get sent down. The players in question being Mitchell, Deslauriers, Kaleta and Flynn. I'm of the opinion that guys like Deslauriers and Mitchell are pretty safe since they were acquired by Murray.

Thoughts

Mitchell was a salary dump by Minnesota... he wasn't someone Murray targeted at all.

He should hit waivers, and become a Rochester vet.

Minnesota upgraded their 4th line from Mitchell to McCormick

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Mitchell was a salary dump by Minnesota... he wasn't someone Murray targeted at all.

agreed

Ellis is barely an NHLer regardless of how many people say he had an A season and can go to Rochester, where he probably plays a more important role for the organization anyway.

Deslauriers is still being probed for long term potential so I think he's safe.

Flynn is a fun story and he gives a good effort, Kaleta is an interesting character. Both are kinda bottom of the barrel, whomever has a better camp starts on the fourth line with Des and McCormick. Inevitably Kaleta will get hurt and Flynn will see steady ice. I hope Kaleta packs it in before he suffers an injury that damages the quality of the rest of his life.

Bps21*

Deslauriers is the only one in that group I wouldn't risk waiving anyway. So if murray acquiring him means they don't do it...super.

ZeroPT*

meh I like Torrey Mitchell, I always had a soft spot for him since his Sharks days.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Thoughts

The Mitchell for McCormick part of the trade was done as a defecto salary retention. Mitchell had a higher cap hit plus not her year.

Mitchell IMO is expendable

Deslauriers is the only safe ne since he went out and acquired him.

Flynn and Kaleta will have to earn a roster spot.

Dalpe would also have to go through waivers and earn a job.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'd expect "his guys" that really matter to get some suction but I think that'll more apply down the road.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Dead-on accurate - I didn't get the feeling from how Nolan used Mitchell last season nor from Murray's focus on adding veteran leadership to help guide the younger players (when Mitchell is 29) as signs that he really has any role with the Sabres. I think they give him training camp as a shot to really stand out (which he likely won't) before either waiving him for demotion or just outright trading him for future considerations. His salary isn't that different from Gerbe's where I could also see them just buying him out.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Dead-on accurate - I didn't get the feeling from how Nolan used Mitchell last season nor from Murray's focus on adding veteran leadership to help guide the younger players (when Mitchell is 29) as signs that he really has any role with the Sabres. I think they give him training camp as a shot to really stand out (which he likely won't) before either waiving him for demotion or just outright trading him for future considerations. His salary isn't that different from Gerbe's where I could also see them just buying him out.

this. I dont view him as having a place over cody or kaleta and we know des is staying...4th line=kaleta-cody-des and swap kaleta for flynn when necessary...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He was getting the most PK ice time of any forward in his 9gms, he also had stints on the top line and was getting 15mins night. Putting aside the fact that what he did last year in just 9gms has no bearing on next season in the first place. Mitchell is a 4th line/occasional 3rd line fill in at this point of his career. How would Nolan playing him 4mins more a game beyond his normal ES ice time (8:30mins to 12:32mins) and giving him the most PK ice time "give you the feeling" he isn't in the plans? That makes no sense.

And why would they need to buy him out or trade him? If he isn't on the NHL roster he would simply get waived for Rochester. Plus keeping around his cap hit is helpful. It will certainly help later when they need to stay above the floor after moving one or both of Stewart/Stafford. Even in Rochester he will count roughly 1mil against the cap (of his 1.9mil cap hit). Unless we add other players with bigger contracts (and that could still happen) I don't see them tossing aside an easy assist to stay above the floor as the season moves along.

this. I dont view him as having a place over cody or kaleta and we know des is staying...4th line=kaleta-cody-des and swap kaleta for flynn when necessary...

Whether Mitchell stays or not aside. Making the roster means being one of the 14 forwards on the team not one of the starting 12. He can be behind the 4 players you mentioned and still be on the roster.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its too bad Flynn has to go through waivers. He would be best served getting big minutes in Rochester IMO as opposed to being the 12th/13th forward in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad