Will David Rundblad be a starter in 2010?

Yelnats Puc

Brust 'em up!
Aug 30, 2007
Ottawa
The Sens' brass have said he has a good chance of playing in Ottawa in 2011-12, but this coming season he'll be spending in Sweden.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Is he NHL ready? I haven't seen him but from what I've heard from within the organization: not entirely. They think he will progress similarly to Karlsson, but not to the same level. Like, he's not ready now, but by halfway through the year he will be a definite NHL caliber player. He will probably make the 2011-2012 team, depending on depth. I'd like to see him wait until 2012-2013 so he can tear it up as a rook:laugh:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

I wont bet on him not playing a bunch of games, but I have a hard time seeing him live up to the hype. My sincere assessment of Rundblad (ignoring previous discussion on this matter) is that he simply have not progressed as well as his peers, and I have yet to see him take those essential steps in development expected from a player of his caliber.

But who knows, maybe he's just a late bloomer or I'm just out of my mind and Rundblad is the second coming of Paul Coffey.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Ideally he'd come to N.A. for the 2011/12 season - AHL or NHL.

If you ask many Sens fans, our defense will look like this in 2011/12:

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Rundblad
Phillips-Gonchar

...soooo, take what they say about our prospects with a grain of salt.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
I think the organization was really optimistic when they were selling the merits of the trade post draft.

Our director of player personnel Pierre Dorion:

"He'll be a top four defencemen for us"
"He's a year ahead in his development, would of gone top 10 this season"
"He's going to come over next season and play for us"
"2 or 3 seasons from now people are going to be asking how did Ottawa get David Rundblad"

I'm not convinced this guy will break the roster next season, but Sens management seem to strongly think he will.

Karlsson struggled a lot in the early going last season, but his one saving grace is skating and speed and ability to skate pucks out of danger. From what I've seen Rundblad does not have the same ability, which makes me believe Rundblad will have a more difficult time adjusting.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I think the organization was really optimistic when they were selling the merits of the trade post draft.

"2 or 3 seasons from now people are going to be asking how did Ottawa get David Rundblad"

I'm not convinced this guy will break the roster next season, but Sens management seem to strongly think he will.

Karlsson struggled a lot in the early going last season, but his one saving grace is skating and speed and ability to skate pucks out of danger. From what I've seen Rundblad does not have the same ability, which makes me believe Rundblad will have a more difficult time adjusting.

Yeah but Rundblad is quite alot bigger than Karlsson so having amazing skating ability is not really a must for him.

HockeyHooligans

TERRORSENKO
Feb 4, 2008
St. Louis

From what I've heard those are Rundblads strengths... have you seen him play?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
KRM: Gotta agree with you, I am not too high on Rundblads chances, either. He just doesn't seem to have the drive to improve all the time.

That being said, if he gets on a roll this season he could break out big time, because of the raw talent that is there, but could almost as likely have another dissapointing season.

But fans excpecting this to be a sure-fire starter in 2011-12 needs to calm down.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
KRM: Gotta agree with you, I am not too high on Rundblads chances, either. He just doesn't seem to have the drive to improve all the time.

That being said, if he gets on a roll this season he could break out big time, because of the raw talent that is there, but could almost as likely have another dissapointing season.

But fans excpecting this to be a sure-fire starter in 2011-12 needs to calm down.

Wasn't he one of the D in the SEL the second half of the season, or am i being told the wrong things? After having a bad start then having a good second half, isnt that improving?

No ones expecting him to be a "sure fire starter" in 2011-2012. Sens management have stated that they expect Rundblad to crack the Sens roster in 2011-2012..

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Rundblad bounced back and played well in Skellefteå after his horrible wjc-performance, was pretty close to making Team Sweden in the WC.
I still think it´s a good chance that he booms rather than busts.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
I say he's 1 year away from the NHL. This kid will be a offensive wizard.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Its just stupid for Ottawa to be pimping a project prospect like this, its just setting them up for disappointment. I guess they have to convince the casual Sens fan since they traded the pick that got a talented Russian to get him, but still, they got to be a bit realistic with him.

I think the bottom line is that he had a disappointing season, but its not the end of the world. 13 points as a guy who is going to make his living as a puck moving, offensive defenseman isnt very good. For compairson, Tim Erixon has as many points, and more goals, and plays more of a two way game.

But hes only 19 and has already played 98 games in the SEL, so there is still a lot of potential there.

But really that Top 10 this season comment has really got me confused. Its just unnecessary hyperbole, and still doesnt make a ton of sense to me.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'll trust Skelleftea fans' and our own managment's opinions over anyone else, seems odd that they would have only praise for Rundblad while others think he's nothing special :dunno:

But really that Top 10 this season comment has really got me confused. Its just unnecessary hyperbole, and still doesnt make a ton of sense to me.

The top 10 wasn't strong at all, that's why we saw a tremendous number of risers and fallers come draft day. It's not a hyperbole at all, Rundblad was drafted 17th overall in a stronger draft year and with the way team's go off their lists, many teams could have thought he was a top 10 calibur prospect if in this year's draft. For example Erik Karlsson was rated by some teams in the top 10 in 2008 while others didn't have them in their top 30.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I'll trust Skelleftea fans' and our own managment's opinions over anyone else, seems odd that they would have only praise for Rundblad while others think he's nothing special :dunno:

The top 10 wasn't strong at all, that's why we saw a tremendous number of risers and fallers come draft day. It's not a hyperbole at all, Rundblad was drafted 17th overall in a stronger draft year and with the way team's go off their lists, many teams could have thought he was a top 10 calibur prospect if in this year's draft. For example Erik Karlsson was rated by some teams in the top 10 in 2008 while others didn't have them in their top 30.

But what does Top 10 in this year's draft mean?
Like if he was born one year later, and had the season he had his draft year this season?
Or if he was undrafted last year and has the season he did have this year at age 19?
Or if they were able to redo the 2009 draft, he would go Top 10?
Or do they thing that he's better at 19 than all but 9 or so in this years draft will be at 19?

At best, the quote is cryptic as all hell, and it just sounds like a line of hyperbolic ********* to me.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Wasn't he one of the D in the SEL the second half of the season, or am i being told the wrong things? After having a bad start then having a good second half, isnt that improving?

No ones expecting him to be a "sure fire starter" in 2011-2012. Sens management have stated that they expect Rundblad to crack the Sens roster in 2011-2012..

Well, he played in the SEL all season. Or do you mean that he was one of the best D-men in the second half?

What I meant was, he played the season before in the SEL, and this year he wasn't able to evolve his game. He didn't become a much more contributing player to Skelleftea like one could have hoped. I'm not big on using stats to compare because so many other factors play in, but the fact that he produced points at nearly the same level at the year before isn't that promising.

In his development it's really important that he forces himself into a bigger role in the SEL this year. However, two other good prospects, Adam Larsson and Tim Erixon might stand in the way of this since their curve is going more upwards.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Its just stupid for Ottawa to be pimping a project prospect like this, its just setting them up for disappointment. I guess they have to convince the casual Sens fan since they traded the pick that got a talented Russian to get him, but still, they got to be a bit realistic with him.

You make it sound as if they were painted into a corner and had to trade the "pick that got a talented Russian". The cupboard in terms of forward prospects is pretty bare and they CHOSE to trade the pick that landed a talented Russian for another defenseman prospect, which is an organisational strength.

Obivously Sens management thinks Rundblad is better, or at the very least more of a sure thing, than Tarasenko.

Considering most of the Rundblad praise and support came from the same scout who got us Karlsson, Lehner, Slifverberg and Petersson, the scout who is now Rundblad's head coach, i'm pretty happy with the player we got.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Well, he played in the SEL all season. Or do you mean that he was one of the best D-men in the second half?

What I meant was, he played the season before in the SEL, and this year he wasn't able to evolve his game. He didn't become a much more contributing player to Skelleftea like one could have hoped. I'm not big on using stats to compare because so many other factors play in, but the fact that he produced points at nearly the same level at the year before isn't that promising.

In his development it's really important that he forces himself into a bigger role in the SEL this year. However, two other good prospects, Adam Larsson and Tim Erixon might stand in the way of this since their curve is going more upwards.

After the WJC he was certainly better than he was at any point in the 08-09 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad