Will Dave Tippet ever win a Stanley Cup as a head coach?

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Wasn't the TSN panel yammering on about defined terms being established for executive/coaching hires in season and in the off-season?

Maybe this is a pre-cursor to Tip being traded. :dunno:

I believe they said a 3rd in the off-season and a 2nd in season.

Edit: probably applies more to AGM's and assistant coaches but time will tell.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's a lot like coach Q.

Exactly what I was thinking. It wasn't that long ago that Quenneville couldn't get out of Round 1 or 2.

As for Babcock, I think he'll stay in Detroit. Great program and I think at some point the Red Wings will give him whatever money he's looking for. Nobody wants the Toronto headache. I could see the Leafs going for McLellan, should he be fired by SJ.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wasn't the TSN panel yammering on about defined terms being established for executive/coaching hires in season and in the off-season?

Maybe this is a pre-cursor to Tip being traded. :dunno:

I believe they said a 3rd in the off-season and a 2nd in season.

Edit: probably applies more to AGM's and assistant coaches but time will tell.

I know they've been wanting to do that for awhile. Did it actually go through? Anyone know? If Don could dump Tippett and pick up another 3rd in the process that would be wonderful.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
They said they've been looking at it for a while but now they seem to have the language worked out. Probably both sides need to sign off on it as well.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The biggest knock on Tippet throughout his career is how he develops/plays younger players.

I recall reading an article years ago when DM hired Tippet. The article claimed that the two of them talked strategy and that Tippet said the best way to win under the franchise restraints of payroll and signed talent was to go with a veteran grind it out style. I'm paraphrasing the article, but Tippet was absolutely correct. He was able to wring out better results then many teams spending $10-$20m more on their rosters, including the first playoff series win in franchise history and a run to the conference finals.

What would Tippet do with a more talented roster? It's really kind of an unknown.

How would Tippet do in a complete rebuild/play the youngsters situation? It's also an unknown.

I do know if he is fired or leaves there will be a lot of teams knocking at his door the next day.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The biggest knock on Tippet throughout his career is how he develops/plays younger players.

I recall reading an article years ago when DM hired Tippet. The article claimed that the two of them talked strategy and that Tippet said the best way to win under the franchise restraints of payroll and signed talent was to go with a veteran grind it out style. I'm paraphrasing the article, but Tippet was absolutely correct. He was able to wring out better results then many teams spending $10-$20m more on their rosters, including the first playoff series win in franchise history and a run to the conference finals.

What would Tippet do with a more talented roster? It's really kind of an unknown.

How would Tippet do in a complete rebuild/play the youngsters situation? It's also an unknown.

I do know if he is fired or leaves there will be a lot of teams knocking at his door the next day.

Agreed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Well, you're really never going to find out if you continually favor veterans over younger players. Tippett is wholly unwilling to sacrifice the present for more future, and that will be his undoing here. The whole "best player plays" thing is cute and makes for a great soundbite. The problem is that what constitutes the "best" is totally up to a dinosaur like Tippett, and a young player will almost never be the "best" player at their position. That's why they're trying to break into the league. You can't do that if you've got some scrublord like Moss in front of you.

Rieder had immediate success and plays a great two way game out of the box. Most players are not like that. Outside of that very narrow range, Tippett has proven to be terrible at judging and coaching up talent.

He is a god awful fit for a franchise that needs to develop from within. Squeezing blood from a stone would be great under the old CBA, or if you just wanted to skate by. But with a cap era, and a need for teams to do more than just squeak into the playoffs, homegrown talent is the only way to fly.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
No. Too much rely on dumps and puck luck. And too much love for players that remind him himself.

M.E.D.I.O.C.R.I.T.Y. is his system. That system can overachieve but not get SC for you.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Yes. I think it can happen.

He is only 53, plenty of years ahead. You don't have to be a legendary coach to win the cup... Tortorella won it.

I think he can win a Stanley Cup ala Claude Julien - a hot goalie, a team motivated by defensive assignment and execution, and a couple of talents up front could get it done.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site

This, beaches.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Could he? Sure. Will he? Odds are damn slim. So...no.
Well if we go by straight numbers, the odds are always in favor of a coach NOT winning the cup no matter who he is but I figured we'd leave math out of it. Anyway I intentionally made the poll so people had to make an actual choice rather than hem and haw. The results have been pretty interesting thus far, it's pretty evenly split.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Split into the same camps as always.
Eh I don't know, I honestly thought it would be overwhelmingly no, surprised it's so close. I guess one "camp" is just a hell of a lot louder than the other.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I guess one "camp" is just a hell of a lot louder than the other.

There are plenty of folks who still support Tippett. I think he's a good gameday coach. He obviously has some shelf life with his players, albeit for some debatable reasons. But what relevance does the poll have to the Coyotes? Plenty of coaches would have a great chance at a cup in the right situation.

The point is that Tippett and the Coyotes are not in the right situation. Both parties should move on.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I voted no, because it's statistically very unlikely, since few coaches actually end up winning the Stanley Cup.

That being said, Tip does a good job with a veteran roster, so I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if he won a Stanley Cup with another team, down the road. I think it definitely won't be with the Coyotes, if he does end up winning one though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know they've been wanting to do that for awhile. Did it actually go through? Anyone know? If Don could dump Tippett and pick up another 3rd in the process that would be wonderful.

Or just trade him straight up for Blashill if Babcock leaves.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I voted no, because it's statistically very unlikely, since few coaches actually end up winning the Stanley Cup.

That being said, Tip does a good job with a veteran roster, so I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if he won a Stanley Cup with another team, down the road. I think it definitely won't be with the Coyotes, if he does end up winning one though.
That is true but it's the same for every coach. I mean yeah if you're playing the odds you always say no because as you mentioned it's statistically improbable that any coach wins a cup. I'm leaving that part out of the equation and just looking to see how many people think Tippet is the kind of coach that is more likely to beat those poor odds and win a cup.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There are plenty of folks who still support Tippett. I think he's a good gameday coach. He obviously has some shelf life with his players, albeit for some debatable reasons. But what relevance does the poll have to the Coyotes? Plenty of coaches would have a great chance at a cup in the right situation.

The point is that Tippett and the Coyotes are not in the right situation. Both parties should move on.
I don't blindly support Tippet but I do think he's a good coach. I'm not sure he's right for this team but I think he's a good coach and because of that I think he stands a better chance than most to hoist a cup one day.

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
Not with our group. After loosing out on the lottery, I think its time for a change. I always say, who are you going to get thats better than Tip? Thats not the point anymore. We need someone to let the kids play and evolove. We all know Tip wont do that. The next Bruce Beaudreau is out there somewhere. Someone who will let our young talent play, take some lumps and get better. We all know we are not a playoff team going forward. Just hope our scouts did there job and a couple of forwards hit. Tip might be the awnser for a team like Tampa.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Tortorella? We have a pansy press corps which means that Torts won't have to battle hostile press people like in NY and Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad