Will Connor McDavid win both the Hart and Art Ross Trophies this year?

Will Connor McDavid win the Art Ross + Hart Trophy this season?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean I'd consider him on track to be one regardless. 3 100 point season is incoming and likely a 2nd 50 goal season. If not for Covid he'd have 4 100pt seasons and 3 50 goal ones.

Yea, I think the Hart and Art Ross pretty much punched his ticket at this point unless he inexplicably falls off a cliff. Not many players with comparable 4-year runs.

Reactions: canuckking1

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lindsay and art ross he will take. Matthews or huberdeau for the hart

It should be Shesterkin. 24-5-3 with a 2.01GAA and .939SV% is more impressive than what either Matthews or Huberdeau are doing. I know it is rare for goaltenders, but if he finishes the season around a .940SV% and continues to lead all goalies in all advanced stats, he should win the Hart.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It should be Shesterkin. 24-5-3 with a 2.01GAA and .939SV% is more impressive than what either Matthews or Huberdeau are doing. I know it is rare for goaltenders, but if he finishes the season around a .940SV% and continues to lead all goalies in all advanced stats, he should win the Hart.
The only time a goalie will win the hart is a year like 2015. When multiple players are gonna score 110 points plus it's a no go

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
The only time a goalie will win the hart is a year like 2015. When multiple players are gonna score 110 points plus it's a no go

This could work in his favour. If there is no seperation between best forwards there is historic season amongs goalies to award Hart.
Btw when was last time when Art Ross winner on playoff team lost Hart to another forward?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
This could work in his favour. If there is no seperation between best forwards there is historic season amongs goalies to award Hart.
Btw when was last time when Art Ross winner on playoff team lost Hart to another forward?
Pretty sure it was 2011

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Huberdeau is one of the unlikeliest winners of the hart out of the top scorers. And it's not even about me not thinking he'll keep up pace till end of year (he won't), but:

1. He's underrated. If by year end he's in top 5 scoring and within ~5-10 points of scoring lead, I see him getting overlooked a lot by hart voters, more than he should.
2. Hart voters will look to Barkov as #1C as more valuable, or think Florida is a great team....he won't get enough credit.

Also - I simply don't expect to finish as high in scoring. ~100 points sure maybe, but not ~110+.

I agree. Honestly - out of 97 votes so far, only 1 person voted "he'll win the hart but not art ross". And if you were to ask all 96 other posters who they think will win the hart - I bet most are forwards, and I bet most are forwards who those voters don't expect to win the Art Ross.

So - for McDavid, he has to win the art ross to win the hart, and maybe even then isn't enough. But guys like Mack/Matthews/Huberdeau/Gaudreau and many others - they only have to "come close to art ross" to be a good hart winner. Total double standards.

Very unfair. I think if at season's end McDavid was the best player/best season, he should win the hart, that simple.

I still expect him to win both. He's about to go on a tear now in the next ~30 games.

Huberdeau this season is very much like Kucherov in 17-18, scores alot of points but he most likely won't even be a Hart finalist IMO.

I think McDavid has to be a frontrunner for both the art Ross (very likely) but Matthews will give him a run for his money on the hart IMO as for the 3rd finalist hard to say guys who I thought had a chance like Mack and Marchand have missed too many games and Ovechkin has fallen off.

Maybe Drai is a finalist as well?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
He doesn't seem to be really in Hart conversations at all. Barring a super hot finish where he finishes well ahead of the field, I don’t think he gets back in the conversation. Honestly I think Drai wins the Art Ross and should be the higher placing Oiler in Hart votes

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

It's happened 3 times since 1996:
  • 2001 - Jagr outscored Sakic 121-118 but Sakic was much better defensively and Jagr was dissapointing until Lemieux returned in late December
  • 2009 - Malkin outscored Ovechkin 113-110 but Ovechkin didn't have another teammate right behind him in scoring and was a physical force
  • 2011 - Sedin outscored Perry 104-98 but Perry led his team in scoring by a larger margin (18 pts vs 10 pts) and was amazing towards the end of the year (30 pts in the last 16 games)
It's rare, but it happens. In order for a playoff-bound Art Ross winner to lose the Hart to another forward, that player needs to have a small margin of victory in the scoring race and needs to have another teammate who also had a very good season.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

I agree. Its unlikely, but he should be the front runner.

Historically, a season with a starter posting approximately a .940 SV% is more impressive than multiple forwards scoring 110+ points in the season.

But, I'd agree, the chances are slim. Everything had to go perfect for Price to win, any other year he likely wouldn't have won.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Kaprizov has a decent shot at both the Hart and the Ross as well.

Since 11/17/21 he has the highest P/GP in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad