Speculation: Will Calgary win the Cup this year?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I come in peace.

I admire a lot of the Flames' offseason moves. I think they are pretty significant.

Do you think Calgary can have a good year or perhaps win a cup?

They seem to have all the ingredients now. Do you think they need to add more to the team?

Curious...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think we're due for another slow start just due to how many new pieces there are and how long things will take to get settled. I'd be pleased if we made the playoffs and looked competitive in the first round. Those are pretty much my expectations for this upcoming season

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For what it's worth, there are 31 teams trying to win this Cup, and winning the Cup is thus unlikely for every single team, even considering how certain teams are much better than others on paper. It was unlikely that Washington won last year, and unlikely that Pittsburgh repeated the year before. It's definitely unlikely the Flames win the Cup this year. But not ridiculously so. All a team needs is to gel together, play good hockey and get some good fortune at key moments. The Flames have the pieces required to win a lot of games, but winning is about how the team plays together, which under Peters is a complete unknown.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I won't commit to a Stanley Cup appearance but I would say Calgary has to be the front runner coming out of the Pacific. So semi finals I would say are quite likely.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I too like the changes and feel we as a team will be improved. That is all I will commit to

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Unlikely, however, if Smith's groin holds, we are definitely contenders (albeit on the lower end of that spectrum). In fact, I'll go as far to say playoffs are not a guarantee if Smith goes down, when he was healthy last year he was one of the best goalies in the league.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe?
Once in the playoffs everything is possible. No one would have predicted the Caps/Knights final from last year, so it's impossible to tell this early in the game.

Here's what they have going for them:
  • They have a star LW
  • They have a centre who is improving YoY, and last year was looking like a breakout season.
  • They added two top 6 RW with one potentially being a C.
  • They have a Selke level 2C
  • They're a really young core. People always talk about the other Canadian cities and their young core, Calgary's right there with them.
  • They have a really strong D-corps. Giordano is a legit 1D, Brodie, Hammer and Hanifin are all legit top 4D. Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki and Kylington are all super young players who could play for Calgary this year, all with huge upsides.
  • Their bottom 6 is completely reshaped, and now had more balance. There are two guys in the bottom 6 that are ~40 point players in Ryan and Frolik. Lots of youth on the bottom 6 too.
  • They play in a weak Pacific, it's the quickest way to a quarterfinal's appearance, and easiest. They'll get a lot of games against Arizona, Vancouver and Edmonton this year; should be some good points accumulated there.

Here's what they have going against them:
  • Still a lot of unproven depth. There's youth there, but there's guys that are still finding their footing in the NHL.
  • Goaltending, if it stays healthy is fine. If Smith is injured, Calgary's hopes die with that.
  • There's a new coach and system. There might be growing pains.
  • Backend has the potential to be really young, there might be growing pains.
There's more good than bad. I expect them to be fighting for the top spot in the Pacific this year. This is a good year to try it. LA is the only team that really 'got better' on paper during the summer. SJ, Anaheim, Edmonton, Vancouver and Vegas are essentially the same teams from last year; some are lesser even (Vegas lost two top 6F).

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
PiercingAdmiredAmericanpainthorse-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Nice try OP, unless thy powers include powers of Wardo predictions. Let's pump the brakes on distractions. We just killed the Anaheim and Buffalo one. Let's not let the seeds of a new one take hold.

But the Flames will indeed win cups in 2019. Multiple actually. #TimHorton'srolluptherim

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Saw some article last night that mentioned Peters has never cracked 90 points as a coach and that really put a damper on things. I'd be happy if they made the playoffs, surprised if they made the second round. No chance they win the Cup.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Saw some article last night that mentioned Peters has never cracked 90 points as a coach and that really put a damper on things. I'd be happy if they made the playoffs, surprised if they made the second round. No chance they win the Cup.

That is concerning, but he's also never coached a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad