Value of: Will Butcher

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
What is the story with Will Butcher? From someone who doesn't watch the Devils, I see a guy who made all rookie team in 17-18, put together three solid years of production, checks most of the new-age / mobile defenseman boxes, but can't crack the NJD lineup? Maybe the emergence of Ty Smith bumped him out of the top 6?

What are the NJD's needs and what would a deal involving Will Butcher look like?

Reactions: lindgren

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Butcher was injured coming into the season I believe that is why he missed games at the beginning of the season also the emergence of Ty Smith may be a reason Butcher has been a healthy scratch recently.

Lindy Ruff has used Butcher in a different way then what Butcher was used to and will probably be moved at the deadline if the Devils can find any takers.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Butcher is a solid PPQB with good offensive instincts. He was “the guy” to primarily run our PP in his rookie season, and you can see the type of production he generates in that role.

Then, Severson took a major step forward, and the Devils acquired Subban. Now, Ty Smith has emerged, and Butcher is suddenly third or fourth in line for PP minutes at the point.

Butcher’s lack of TOI this year has more to do with the composition of the Devils’ roster than it does with Butcher himself.

I’d want a package of picks. We can retain as much salary as necessary.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Gotta believe the Kings are keeping him on their radar.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Picks would be okay.

Devils need RHD depth organizationally. If they could get a young defensemen who could develop into a steady partner for Smith I’d be happy with that too.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Picks would be okay.

Devils need RHD depth organizationally. If they could get a young defensemen who could develop into a steady partner for Smith I’d be happy with that too.
for butcher? we should either temper our expectations for the return or raise them for smith. smith not turning into a top4 dman would be a disappointment after his good start. getting his top4 d partner in exchange for butcher is pushing it.

Reactions: Habsrule

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
for butcher? we should either temper our expectations for the return or raise them for smith. smith not turning into a top4 dman would be a disappointment after his good start. getting his top4 d partner in exchange for butcher is pushing it.

My expectations for Smith are pretty high. I’m expecting a Top4 defenseman and the PP QB. As such, I’m not expecting him to need to be paired with an equivalent talent, just someone who can be steady.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
who are you protecting if not Butcher? Tennyson? lol

I think it's more the rule where every team has to expose at least one defenseman who:

1. Is under contract for 2021-22
2. Played in 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games in the previous two seasons (those were the Vegas draft rules, I assume that it'll be tweaked for Seattle?).

Kulikov, Murray, Vatanen, Carrick, and Tennyson aren't under contract next season. I suppose the team could acquire somebody to expose or maybe extend one of the guys. But as it stands, we'd have to leave at least one of Severson, Subban, and Butcher available to Seattle.

--------------------

As for Butcher, I'm not sure he'd have a ton of value right now. I don't see many teams where Butcher would be protected so that might limit what teams would give up for him.

His 4.1 mil salary for next season is a bit expensive especially in the current market where free agents like Kevin Shattenkirk (3.9 mil) and Tyson Barrie (3.75 mil) had to take less.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27 and MauDevils

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I think it's more the rule where every team has to expose at least one defenseman who:

1. Is under contract for 2021-22
2. Played in 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games in the previous two seasons (those were the Vegas draft rules, I assume that it'll be tweaked for Seattle?).

Kulikov, Murray, Vatanen, Carrick, and Tennyson aren't under contract next season. I suppose the team could acquire somebody to expose or maybe extend one of the guys. But as it stands, we'd have to leave at least one of Severson, Subban, and Butcher available to Seattle.

--------------------

As for Butcher, I'm not sure he'd have a ton of value right now. I don't see many teams where Butcher would be protected so that might limit what teams would give up for him.

His 4.1 mil salary for next season is a bit expensive especially in the current market where free agents like Kevin Shattenkirk (3.9 mil) and Tyson Barrie (3.75 mil) had to take less.

...you leave Subban available...nobody is taking him. That allows you to protect players that have an iota of trade value.

then you trade them for anything instead of letting Seattle take them for free.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
...you leave Subban available...nobody is taking him. That allows you to protect players that have an iota of trade value.

then you trade them for anything instead of letting Seattle take them for free.

It's possible you leave Subban exposed, but despite the price tag I suppose I'm protecting the guy playing 22 minutes a game versus the guy who isn't currently cracking the top six. Subban might have trade value at next year's deadline when he's an impending UFA. I don't think Butcher is fetching much at this rate.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
It's possible you leave Subban exposed, but despite the price tag I suppose I'm protecting the guy playing 22 minutes a game versus the guy who isn't currently cracking the top six. Subban might have trade value at next year's deadline when he's an impending UFA. I don't think Butcher is fetching much at this rate.

Subban doesn't have any value. none. zero. and here's the kicker: nobody is taking him in an expansion draft.

So you get both Butcher and Subban.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
What is the story with Will Butcher? From someone who doesn't watch the Devils, I see a guy who made all rookie team in 17-18, put together three solid years of production, checks most of the new-age / mobile defenseman boxes, but can't crack the NJD lineup? Maybe the emergence of Ty Smith bumped him out of the top 6?

What are the NJD's needs and what would a deal involving Will Butcher look like?

Would equate his situation with that of Philadelphia's Shayne Gostisbehere. When he arrived he provided an offensive spark to what was a marginal defense corps. With the additions of Subban, Kulikov and Murray as well as the emergence of Ty Smith and Severson there isn't much of an opportunity.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

He's a poor skater who isn't very good defensively. All of the defenseman in the current lineup have been better except for probably Vatanen. The left side of Murray-Kulikov-Smith have all be better than Butcher. I'd imagine if and when the Devils move Murray and or Kulikov, Butcher will get back in.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Butchers biggest downfall is he is undersized and he isn’t particularly fast.

He’s actually a very smart defender positionally and can be pretty elusive when he has the puck. But too many times he loses puck battles because he gets beaten to the puck or manhandled.

He’s best when paired with a steady defensive defender and getting PPQB minutes but Devils don’t really have that spot to give him either. It doesn’t help that Smith burst onto the scene this year and brings the same game with the same flaws.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Habs should be interested but some cap would need to head the other way (Byron?). We also probably can't protect him in the expansion draft. But a left side dman with good offensive instincts and passing ability is what we need. What would get it done?

Reactions: violaswallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad