Will Butcher

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I haven't seen anything on this guy. Everyone here is talking about the future of Bigras and Siemens with the Avs, but what about Butcher?

Left handed offensive d-man, watching the WJC, he is one of the top players on team US, wearing the A and he saved the game late when he blocked the shot with goalie out of the net against the Finns. Seems like a guy who can skate, shoot and play D.

Does this guy has a future with the Avs, what is his projection? Having Barrie as a top 4 offensive guy, i wonder if Butcher can be used in a trade package of some sort or can he be a 3rd pairing left side offensive d-man for the team? I'm sure he's not a top 2 to play with EJ and he probably wont play with Barrie on the 2nd pair.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I've never seen him play outside of the World Juniors, but from what I've read on here and other scouting sights, it sounds like he's becoming quite the underrated two way guy.

His offense has obviously never been questioned. But it sounded like he was being given a bigger and bigger role on the Defensive side of things this year with Denver, and now it looks like he's USA's #1 Dman right now(Santini probably will be when he comes back).

With a guy of his size, its always hard to say whether or not he can become an effective NHL Dman. His skating and Offense are certainly good enough, its a question of how well he can continue to develop his defensive game. He's gonna have to rely on hockey smarts and positioning for sure cause he isn't big enough to out muscle guys.

In saying all of that, I could certainly see him developing into a Toby Enstrom type of Dman. Small but smart defensively, great puck mover and very involved up the ice. Seems like a pretty close comparison, although again I've never seen Butcher play outside of the World Juniors last year and again this year.

Definitely a good little prospect for us right now though. The 2013 draft so far is proving to be a work of Art by Pracey/Roy/Sakic/etc. Mack with the #1 Pick, Bigras at #32, Martin at #63, Geertson at #93, and then Butcher at #123.

5 straight picks that have done nothing but improve stock since being drafted IMO. Especially Geertson and Butcher.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've seen him a few times with DU, including once this year. He's a bit more conservative there because their style is different but I agree he's taken a step forward defensively because he knows his offense will always be there.

Santini was left off the roster so he won't be back this tourney but yeah Butcher will have to be one that steps in to fill the void. Hanifin, DeAngelo will too but they certainly were highlighting his importance with the two interviews and nice for the coaches to give him player of the game.

Chambers had a couple decent tidbits in speaking with the DU coach saying he expects him to be there 4 years, maybe 3. I agree, I don't see him leaving school just to go to the AHL, he's developing nicely and let's see where it goes.

And I also agree the D draft seems to be looking good so far, the top 5 picks should all get signed.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Last year during the WJC I thought he was a lot more aggressive offensively, from the game I saw today he looked more conservative, smarter, and considerably better defensively. He seems to be a pretty stocky player out there, I didn't notice him getting out muscled much if at all. If a couple of Siemens/Bigras/Butcher/Geertsen can turn out our defense should actually become pretty good.

Personally, I think Butcher will probably follow the JML route. Spend all four years in college, play in the AHL if necessary, then transition into the NHL. There's no rush, he is still putting his game together. If he can combine the defensive acumen he displayed today, with that offensive game that I saw last year, then we would have one hell of a prospect.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
He's gonna have to rely on hockey smarts and positioning for sure cause he isn't big enough to out muscle guys.

EP has him at over 200lbs. He may be short (5ft 10in or 11in), but that kind of mass, with a low center of gravity and good on his skates can make for a very strong player.

I could see him developing into a #1/2, two way defensive stalwart. Not that it would not take a lot of development to get there, but if he does 4 years NCAA, then maybe some AHL or playoff experience, it is possible. (as a ceiling...not a prediction or even expectation)

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Sorry if this has been said already but he reminds me of Andrew Ference w/ more offense. Hope to see him suit up for the Avs one day even if we still have Barrie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's been one of USA's best players so far. Just controls the play so much with the puck. Makes quick hard passes right on the tape of teammates in transition, and finds them through traffic for some great outlets. Has a good hard shot that he releases quickly as well. Seems to be pretty posed and smart defensively too.

If he can just work on his skating a bit he's gonna be a very good NHLer, similar to Barrie's style but possibly better all around. Not sure he'll be as good at jumping into the play at the NHL level, and scoring big goals on wrist shots like Barrie, but you never know.

The last of the Pracey picks, and from the sound of it after the draft, he really had to talk them into taking him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Bigras and Siemens can keep developing we should have a lot of interesting youngins pushing for Redmond and Stuart/Holden's jobs on the third pairing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His skating looks NHL quality to me... I would like it to get better, but his edge work and balance are very solid. More than anything, and this will be somewhat surprising considering his reputation, I have more concerns about his offense translating to a higher level than anything else. I just don't see enough high-end skill there... solid and well rounded skills, but nothing that really stands out. IMO he is going to have to make the NHL by being a solid defender and puck mover (which he is becoming), more than a offensive threat. I personally see him possibly being a Grant Clitsome type of defensmen in 3-4 years. Which is more of a compliment than it sounds.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
His skating looks NHL quality to me... I would like it to get better, but his edge work and balance are very solid. More than anything, and this will be somewhat surprising considering his reputation, I have more concerns about his offense translating to a higher level than anything else. I just don't see enough high-end skill there... solid and well rounded skills, but nothing that really stands out. IMO he is going to have to make the NHL by being a solid defender and puck mover (which he is becoming), more than a offensive threat. I personally see him possibly being a Grant Clitsome type of defensmen in 3-4 years. Which is more of a compliment than it sounds.

I was hopeing for a JML clone

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

That's what I've been thinking after seeing the past couple games. Good thing he has been getting praise for his Dzone play all year. He sure has looked good on that side of the ice these past couple games as well, especially that first game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Ironically, Avs already have a bunch of defenders in the NHL that will butcher breakout passes all night long.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

His skating could work in the NHL, it's not that bad, but for his style he should work on it. He'll get closed off and bottled up in the neutral zone a lot easier than someone like Barrie for instance. In the new NHL it seems PMD's have to skate the puck through the zone a lot because the longer passes aren't always there. Butcher seems to rely more on his outlet passes than skating with the puck.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His skating could work in the NHL, it's not that bad, but for his style he should work on it. He'll get closed off and bottled up in the neutral zone a lot easier than someone like Barrie for instance. In the new NHL it seems PMD's have to skate the puck through the zone a lot because the longer passes aren't always there. Butcher seems to rely more on his outlet passes than skating with the puck.

I'd agree with that... I don't think he will ever be the type to rush the puck consistently. I just don't see it in his skill set moving forward, even if his skating improves. In other words, I don't think it can improve enough to allow him to do that in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

For you guys who have seen more of him, am I wrong in thinking of a more reliable HunnyBunny when I've watched him at the WJC? Good skater, though not Cumiskey- or Elliott-fast; smart and capable with the puck, though not Barrie or non-NHL-Elliott with it on his stick; tries defensively and is not useless, but still a part of his game I have questions about translating in large part due to the sub-optimal size.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd agree with that... I don't think he will ever be the type to rush the puck consistently. I just don't see it in his skill set moving forward, even if his skating improves. In other words, I don't think it can improve enough to allow him to do that in the NHL.

Luckily for him he seems very cerebral. That might allow him to adjust to the pro game. We've seen how good an outlet passer he is, and he seems to see all the options and make quick decisions on the best one. That will help him a lot playing at the higher tempo in the NHL. If he can adjust to making the shorter passes to forwards, at the higher speed in the NHL, he could fit in. His ability to hit guys through traffic might translate too, but obviously it will be much tougher than the lower levels.

He'll need to rely on his smarts, and continue to grow the other areas of his game to make the NHL. I think he's got a decent chance though. Seems extremely dedicated, and confident both on and off the ice too. I'd imagine that's why he's had a leadership role most his career, and is wearing an A for the US.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't know if anyone else caught it on the broadcast but they said Butcher is playing 10 pounds lighter and he changed how he trains and eats to become faster.

That is what I thought I heard, but I wasn't paying super close attention so I thought I heard it wrong. I'm not sure I feel about that... on one hand it will make him fast, on the other hand it might hurt him a bit in the corners. It will be interesting to see how it works for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad